The Full Wiki

Dornoch: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Dornoch ( ; , ) is a town and seaside resort, and former Royal burgh in the Highlands of Scotland, on the north shore of the Dornoch Firthmarker, close to where it opens into the Moray Firth to the east. The town is within the Highlandmarker local government council area, and within the former county of Sutherlandmarker.

The town is near the A9 road, to which it is linked by the A949 and the B9168.

Dornoch boasts the thirteenth-century Dornoch Cathedralmarker, the Old Town Jail, and the previous Bishop's Palace which is now the well-known hotel, Dornoch Castlemarker and a notable golf course, the Royal Dornoch Golf Clubmarker, named the 5th best golf course outside the United States in 2005 by Golf Digest magazine. It is also notable as the last place a witch was burnt in Scotland. Her name was Janet Horne; she was tried and condemned to death in 1727. There is a stone, the Witch's Stone, commemorating her death, inscribed with the year 1722. Legendary golf course designer Donald Ross began his career as a greenkeeper on the Royal Dornoch links.

Dornoch used to be connected to the main railway network at The Mound via a light railway. The railway was opened on 2 June 1902. Stations on the line were Dornochmarker, Embo, Skelbo, Cambusavie Halt and The Mound Junction. The stations were closed on 13 June 1960.

On 21 December 2000, the pop star Madonna had her son Rocco christened in Dornoch Cathedralmarker, the day before her wedding to Guy Ritchie in nearby Skibo Castlemarker.

On 13 January 2005, Dornoch was granted Fairtrade Town status.

Governance

Dornoch was a parliamentary burgh, combined with Dingwallmarker, Kirkwallmarker, Tainmarker and Wickmarker in the Northern Burghs constituency of the House of Commonsmarker of the Parliament of Great Britain from 1708 to 1801 and of the Parliament of the United Kingdommarker from 1801 to 1918. Cromartymarker was added to the list in 1832.

The constituency was a district of burghs known also as Tain Burghs until 1832, and then as Wick Burghs. It was represented by one Member of Parliament. In 1918 the constituency was abolished and the Dornoch component was merged into the then new county constituency of Caithness and Sutherland.

References


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message