The Full Wiki

Drohobych: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



{{Infobox Settlement
official_name = Drohobych
native_name = Дрогóбич
nickname =
image_skyline =
imagesize =
image_caption =
image_flag =
image_shield = Coat of Arms Drohobych.gif
nickname =
motto =
image_map =
mapsize = 250px
map_caption = Map of Ukraine with highlighted.
subdivision_type = Country
Oblast
Raion

subdivision_name =Ukrainemarker
Lviv Oblastmarker
Drohobytskyi Raion

established_title = First mentioned
established_date = 1387
cityrights_title =
cityrights_date =
leader_title = Mayor
leader_name = Mykola Huk
area_magnitude =
area_total_km2 = 41.0
area_land_km2 =
area_water_km2 =
population_as_of = 2005
population_note =
population_footnotes=
population_density_km2 =
pushpin_map =Ukraine
pushpin_label_position =
pushpin_map_caption =Location of Drohobych
pushpin_mapsize =
latm=21 |lats=00 |latNS=N
longm=30 |longs=00 |longEW=E
elevation_m =
postal_code =
area_code =
blank_info =
blank1_info =
website = http://drohobych.com
footnotes =}}

Drohobych ( ; Cities' alternative names) is a city located at the confluence of the Tysmenytsia River and Seret, a tributary of the former, in the Lviv Oblastmarker (province), in western Ukrainemarker. The current estimated population is around 77,049 (as of 2005).

Administrative status

Serving as the administrative center of the Drohobych Raion (district), Drohobych itself is a city of oblast subordinance, thus being subject directly to the oblast authorities rather to the raion administration housed in the city itself.

History

Drohobych probably existed in the Kyivan Rus' period while there are only legendary accounts of that. According to one legend there was a settlement, called Bych, of the salt-traders. When Bych was destroyed in the Cumans raid, the survivors rebuilt the settlement at the nearby location under the current name which means the Second or Another Bych. In the time of the Kyivan Rus' the Tustan fortress was built near Drohobych. However, scholars view this legend with skepticism, pointing out that Drohobych is a Polish pronunciation of Dorogobuzhmarker, a common East Slavic toponym applied to three different towns of Kyivan Rus'. The city was first mentioned in 1387 in the municipal records of Lviv in connection with some Martin (or Marcin) of Drohobych. Also, the chronicler's "List of all Ruthenian cities, the further and the near ones" in Voskresensky Chronicle (dated 1377–1382) mentions "Другабець" (Drugabets') among other cities in Volhynia that existed at the time such as Холмъ (Cholmmarker), Лвовъ Великій (Lviv the Greatmarker)
A historical building in Drohobych.
In 1392 Jogaila ordered a construction of the first Latin Catholic cathedral (Kosciół farny) using the foundations of old Ruthenian buildings that existed prior to that. In the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the city was the center of large rural starostvo (county at Ruthenian Voivodeship). Drohobych received the Magdeburg rights some time in the 15th century (sources differ as to an exact year and some give 1422, 1460, or 1496 but in 1506 the right were confirmed by the king Alexander the Jagiellonian). In the 14th–16th centuries the city was a home of significant salt industry. From the early-17th century, the Ukrainian Catholic brotherhood existed in the city, In 1648, during the Khmelnytsky Uprising, the Cossacks stormed the city and its cathedral. Most of the local Poles, as well as the Greek Catholics and the Jews, were murdered at the time, while some managed to survive in the Bell tower not taken in the raid. The 1772 partition of Poland gave the city to Austria. As the significant oil resources were discovered in the area, the city became an important center of the oil and natural gas industries. Following World War I, the area became part of the West Ukrainian National Republic until 1919, when it was taken over by the Second Polish Republicmarker and was located in the Lwow Voivodeship. In 1928 the Ukrainian private gymnasium opened in the center of the city and is currently operational. In late 1920s town's population was some 40 000 and its oil refinery Polmin was one of the biggest in Europe, employing 800 people. Numerous visitors came there to see beautiful wooden Greek Catholic churches, among them the Church of St. Yur, which was regarded the most beautiful such construction in the Second Polish Republic, with frescoes from 1691. Drohobych was also a major sports center (see: Junak Drohobycz). In September, 1939, the city was attached to Soviet Ukraine when the territory of the interwar Polandmarker was divided between the Nazi Germany and the USSRmarker. In Soviet Ukraine Drohobych became a center of the Drohobych Oblastmarker (province). Its local Polish boyscouts created the White Couriers organization, which in late 1939 and early 1940 smuggled hundreds of people from Soviet Union to Hungarymarker, across the Soviet-Hungarian border in the Carpathiansmarker. In early July, 1941, during the first weeks of the Nazi invasion of the USSR, the city was occupied by the Nazi Germany. As Drohobych had a significant Jewish population, the city became the site of a large ghetto (Drohobych ghetto) which the Nazis liquidated in June 1943. On August 6, 1944, Drohobych was “liberated” or rather reoccupied from the Nazi occupation by the forces of the Red Army. Following the war, the city remained an oblast center until the Drohobych Oblast was incorporated into the Lviv Oblastmarker in 1959. In Soviet times, Drohobych became an important industrial center in Western Ukraine with highly developed oil-refining industry, machine building, woodworking industry, light industry, and food industry.

Demographics

Drohobych streets.


The population of Drohobych throughout the years was:
  • 1931 — 32,300 inhabitants
  • 1959 — 42,000 inhabitants
  • 1970 — 56,000 inhabitants
  • 2001 — 79,000 inhabitants


In 1869, of the town's 16,880 inhabitants 28.7% were Ukrainian, 23.2% were Polish or Roman Catholic, and 47.7% were Jewish; in 1939, when the population was 34,600, the respective figures were 26.3%, 33.2%, and 39.9%. By 1959 Ukrainians constituted 70% of the town's population, Russians 22%, Poles 3%, and Jews 2%.

In 1931, the total population of the Drohobych district was 194,456, distributed among different languages:

  • Polish: 91,935 (47.3%)
  • Ukrainian: 79,214 (40.7%)
  • Yiddish: 20,484 (10.5%)


In January 2007, the total population of the metropolitan area was over 103,000 inhabitants.

Economy

Industries currently based in the city include oil-refineries, chemicals, machinery, metallurgy, and food processing.

Sights



Notable people from Drohobych

Politics



The Arts



Other fields



International relations

Twin towns — Sister cities

Drohobych is twinned with:



References

  1. History of Drohobych at Drohobych.net
  2. А СЕ ИМЕНА ГРАДОМЪ ВСЂМЪ РУССКЫМЪ, ДАЛНИМЪ И БЛИЖНИМЪ in PSRL, Т. VII. Летопись по Воскресенскому списку. — СПб, 1856. — с. 240–241.
  3. Drohobych in Encyclopedia of Ukraine
  4. The Nazi Crimes in the territory of the USSR
  5. Events of 1944 at hronos.ru
  6. Genealogy of Halychyna/Eastern Galicia


External links



City
Country
Year of Signing
Buffalo, New Yorkmarker
Muscatine, Iowamarker
Oleckomarker
Poland
Legnicamarker
Poland

Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message