The Full Wiki

More info on East Barnet Urban District

East Barnet Urban District: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

East Barnet was a local government district in south Hertfordshiremarker from 1863 to 1965 around the town of East Barnet.

The district was created under the Local Government Act 1858 on September 25, 1863, as East Barnet Valley Local Government District. The district was governed by a local board. Apart from the parish of East Barnet, the local board's area included surrounding areas of the parishes of Chipping Barnetmarker in Hertfordshire and Enfield, Monken Hadley and South Mimms in Middlesex.

In 1889 the boundary between Hertfordshire and Middlesex was altered by the Local Government Act 1888, so that East Barnet Valley was entirely in the former county.

The Local Government Act 1894 reconstituted the local board's area as an urban district, governed by East Barnet Valley Urban District Council. The urban district consisted of three civil parishes, shown below with their area in 1901:

The urban district was renamed East Barnet in 1935.

The district formed part of a long, thin protrusion into Middlesexmarker and was surrounded by that county on three sides; to the north, east and south.

The urban district council adopted an unofficial coat of arms consisting of a shield bearing crossed swords between a red rose of Lancaster and a white rose of York and the Greek letter omega. This design represented the Battle of Barnetmarker, the final battle in the Wars of the Roses. The chief or top third of the shield showed a fleur de lys between two flory crosses, emblems of St Mary, the patron saint of the ancient parish of East Barnet. In 1955 this became the basis for an official grant from the College of Armsmarker. A crest was added above the shield: a hart from the arms of Hertfordshire County Council, with a shield hanging from the neck bearing the cross of St Alban for the historical associations of the Abbey of St Albansmarker with the area. The motto adopted: Willingness Rids Way, was from Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 3. It comes from a speech made by Edward IV following the Battle of Barnet.

In 1965 the urban district was abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and its former area transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater Londonmarker . Its former area was combined with that of other districts to form the present-day London Borough of Barnetmarker.


The area of the urban district was . The population, as returned at the census, was:
  • 1901: 10,094
  • 1911: 12,381
  • 1921: 13,514
  • 1931: 18,549
  • 1951: 40,408
  • 1961: 40,641


Image:Barnet 1961.png|In 1961: 1 is Barnetmarker and 2 is East Barnet


  1. Kelly's Directory of Hertfordshire, 1899 , p.38 (Historical Directories)
  2. Frederic A Youngs Guide to the Local Administrative units of England, Volume I: Southern England, London 1979
  3. C W Scott-Giles, Civic Heraldry of England and Wales, 2nd edition, London 1953
  4. Civic Heraldry of England and Wales: Hertfordshire (obsolete), accessed January 26, 2007

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address