The Full Wiki

East Dulwich: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

East Dulwich is a district of South Londonmarker, Englandmarker in the London Borough of Southwarkmarker. It forms the eastern one third of Dulwichmarker, with the Dulwich Wood area, Dulwich Villagemarker and West Dulwichmarker to its south and west making up the remaining two thirds. The South London suburb dates back to the nineteenth century when the land was sold by Alleyn's College and redeveloped with the help of Sir Charles Barry.

It is a residential area which has undergone extensive gentrification in recent years. It has a very successful shopping area along Lordship Lanemarker which, as well as many high quality independent shops, has a selection of restaurants and a greengrocer specialising in organic produce. On Fridays and Saturdays there is a small market on North Cross Road with antiques, CDs, second-hand books and specialist food stalls. Almost all the pubs in the area have been converted to Gastropubs, providing affluent residents with many more places to eat and drink. There is a football team based in East Dulwich - Dulwich Hamlet FC, Fisher Athletic FC also currently share their stadium. They play at the Champion Hillmarker stadium, and were formed in 1893. East Dulwich stationmarker is located on Grove Vale. It is not only further east than North Dulwichmarker Station (on the same line) but also further north.


Saxon Dulwich

967 - Edgar the Peaceful granted Dilwihs to a thanemarker named Earl Aelfheah. Dilwihs meant 'meadow where the dill grew'.

Medieval Dulwich

1066 - King William I of England is owner of Dulwich, taking the land from King Harold II of England

Lordship Lane was the boundary of Dulwich Manor with Friern Manor.

1340 - The hamlet of Est Dilewissh was sold to John Leverich by William Mabuhs

Tudor Dulwich

1538 - Dulwich no longer property of Bermondsey Abbeymarker with Dissolution.

1544 - Dulwich granted to goldsmith Thomas Calton for £609 by Henry VIII.

Stuart Dulwich

1605 - Estate sold for £4,900 to Edward Alleyn by Sir Francis Calton

Georgian Dulwich

1805 (+1814) - Dulwich Common enclosed.

1826 - East Dulwich Chapel built at start of Lordship Lane opposite Goose Green.

Victorian Dulwich

1851 - Dulwich's population: 1,632.

1863 - London, Chatham and Dover Railway built.

1865 - St John's Church built amidst green fields.

1868 - East Dulwich railway station opened as Champion Hill Station.

1868 - Old village green is bought for public use.

1871-1881 - 5,000 houses built in East Dulwich.

1872 - St John's & St Clements school moved to Northcross Road.

1874 - St Peter's Church built.

1877 - Emmanuel Congregational Church opened on Barry Road.

1883 - Heber Road School.

1885 - Horse-drawn trams arrived in East Dulwich

1887 - Dulwich Hospital opened.

1890 - Dulwich Parkmarker opened. Dulwich Grove Congregational Church opened on Melbourne Grove.

1892 - Dulwich Baths opened on East Dulwich Road.

1893 - Dulwich Fire Station opened on Lordship Lane (closed 1947 after war damage).

1897 - Dulwich Library opened.
Dulwich Library

Modern Dulwich

1900 - Part of the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwellmarker. Grove Vale School opened.

1901 - Dulwich's Population: 10,247

1902 - Imperial Hall opened in Grove Vale.

1906 - Horse-drawn trams were replaced by electrical ones. The route ran Dog Kennel Hill, Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Road.

1912 - Dulwich Hamlet FC moved to Dog Kennel Hill. Aquarius Golf Club opened.

1923 - Imperial Hall became Pavilion. Grove Tavern rebuilt.

1931 - New Dulwich Hamlet FC stadium opened.

1938 - East Dulwich Odeon opened.

1940s - World War II: the Blitz and the V1 & V-2 rocket flying bombs caused widespread damage to East Dulwich.

1952 - End of electric trams.

1965 - Became part of new London Borough of Southwark.

1972 - East Dulwich Odeon closed. Later became London House.

1977 - East Dulwich Police Station opened.

1990s - Gentrification of East Dulwich.

1994 - St John's & St Clements school moved to Adys Road.

1998 - Commemorative blue plaque added to 36 Forest Hill Road, birthplace of Boris Karloff (William Henry Pratt)

2003 - London House (old East Dulwich Odeon) demolished.

Dulwich Plough

One area of East Dulwich is called Dulwich Plough. This was named after a pub, "The Plough" which had been there since 1830. The pub was taken over by Bass Taverns pub chain and changed its name in 1996 to the Goose and Granite. Despite the efforts of a "Save Dulwich Plough" campaign the new name was kept for almost ten years. The name reverted to The Plough in 2005. Like most other pubs in East Dulwich, it has recently been gentrified.

Dulwich Library, which opened on 24 November 1897 is nearby.
The Concrete House on Lordship Lane

549 Lordship Lane - the "Concrete House"

One of the most architecturally interesting buildings in the area is at 549 Lordship Lane. The so-called "Concrete House" is a derelict grade II listed building and is an example of 19th century concrete house. It is believed that it is the only surviving example in England.

The Concrete House was built in 1873 by Charles Drake of the Patent Concrete Building Company. In 1867 the builder had patented the use of iron panels for shuttering rather than timber.

It is listed on the English Heritage Buildings At Risk register.

Notable Residents or those who were born in East Dulwich



  • , page 220.

See also

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address