The Full Wiki

More info on East Linton

East Linton: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

East Linton


East Linton is a town in East Lothianmarker, Scotlandmarker, situated on the River Tyne and A1 roadmarker five miles east of Haddingtonmarker, with a population of 1,774 (Census 2001). (In 1881 it had a population of 1,928).

East Linton probably gets its name from the Linn (a waterfall) on the river next to the village, although Martine adds that it was called East Linton to distinguish it from West Linton in Peebleshire when the railways were built.

Today it has only one active church - Prestonkirk Parish Church (rebuilt 1770), also the name of the parish, but formerly had a free church (St Andrew's), a Roman Catholic church, and a Methodist hall. The clock on St Andrew's former Church was put in by the village to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, it was named Jessie after a local lass when some village lads climbed into the steeple and christened it. The name has remained ever since. There has long been a school in the town, and the mid-Victorian schoolmaster in East Linton was a George Pringle Smith (d.1850).

There is a fountain in the town square which has 4 cherubs and lights on top.
Preston Mill
Preston Mill, an old watermill, is on the outskirts. There has been a mill on the site since 1599, and it is still working. Attached to the watermill is a kiln, with a cowl of local design.

Following the closure of the railway line to Haddingtonmarker, the fine Victorian station at East Linton was the next closest for that burgh. That station (only) has now also been closed and is now used as a residence. Prior to the coming of the North British Railway, the mail coaches changed horses at the Douglas Inn, opposite the distillery in East Linton.

Civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) was born here. He died at his home in London while working on the London Bridge project, a bridge he designed. The work was completed by his sons, George and Sir John Rennie.

The East Linton Community Website has more information at www.eastlinton.uk.com

References

  • Fourteen Parishes of the County of Haddington, by John Martine, Edinburgh, 1890.


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message