The Full Wiki

More info on Eastmanville, Michigan

Eastmanville, Michigan: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Eastmanville is an unincorporated community at the southern edge of Polkton Townshipmarker of Ottawa Countymarker in the U.S. state of Michiganmarker.

It is centered on the intersection of 68th Ave. and Leonard St. on the north bank of the Grand River at . 68th Ave. is the first bridge over the Grand River east of Grand Havenmarker. A junction with I-96 in Coopersvillemarker is three miles to the north and M-45 in Allendale, Michiganmarker is three miles south. Westbound Leonard goes to Spring Lake, Michiganmarker, while eastbound goes to Grand Rapids, Michiganmarker.

The first white settler in the community was Dr. George W. Scranton, who came there in 1835. The place was at first known as Scranton. A post office by that name opened on July 11, 1838 with Dr. Scranton as postmaster. The office closed on March 1, 1842. However, another early settler had a more lasting influence on the community. Dr. Timothy Eastman of Mainemarker moved to Grand Haven in 1835, where he established a medical practice. Eastman moved to Scranton in 1842. The state legislature organized Polkton Townshipmarker, named after U.S. President James K. Polk, on March 19, 1845. The first township meeting took place at Eastman's residence on April 17, 1845. Eastman was elected Township Supervisor for several years afterwards, as well as serving as a county judge and various other township offices and continuing his medical practice. He also became the first postmaster of Polkton on May 28, 1846.

With his sons, Galen and Mason, Eastman platted the village of Eastmanville in 1855. On March 8, 1856, the name of the Polkton post office was changed to Eastmanville. In 1857, Eastmanville nearly became the county seat, having gained the assent of the County Board of Supervisors, but was unable to secure popular support.

Although initially prosperous, Eastmanville was soon outpaced by Coopersvillemarker when a railway route developed through that town. A 1941 Michigan Writers Project publication described the community as "a small colony of summer homes on the north bank of the Grand River".

A carved stone at the northeast corner explains the area's history.

References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message