The Full Wiki

Edgeley Park: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Edgeley Park is the home of Stockport County Football Club and Sale Sharks rugby union club. It is located in Edgeleymarker, Stockportmarker in Greater Manchestermarker, Englandmarker, and has a capacity of 10,852 seats. It is now over 100 years old and has seen on its turf many football legends, including the late George Best, who played for County in 1975. The ground is typical of other northern football arenas built at the time, bar the recently added Cheadle End which was unveiled in 1995. It often appears in trivia as the football ground closest to the River Merseymarker, which is often mistaken for Liverpoolmarker, Everton or Tranmere (situated on the Wirral)


The stadium was built in 1901 and first served Stockport Rugby Club, a rugby league side, before Stockport County moved there a year later in 1902.

Pop Side

On the opposite side of the ground is the Pop Side. The first structure on this side of the ground was a small, covered enclosure with a capacity of 1,400. This was replaced with a larger stand in 1927, and in one FA Cup match against Liverpool held 16,000 people. In 1978 the rear of the stand was dismantled and capacity halved, and in late 1993 the Pop Side was made all-seater. It currently holds 2,200 and is occasionally given to larger away support.

Cheadle End


The first Cheadle End, built in 1923, was a small, covered timber stand with room for just 3,000 people until it was made all-seater in 1967. It was demolished in 1985 after the Valley Parade fire, and replaced by a shallow, concrete terrace.

In 1995 an entirely new two tiered stand was constructed and was opened in July of that year with a pre-season friendly with Manchester City, (the game ended 2-2) and seating 5,200 it's certainly one of the largest stands in the lower divisions. Also, The Cheadle End contains conference & banqueting facilities & club offices and club shops.

Main Stand


The first major development at Edgeley Park was the construction of the Main Stand on the Hardcastle Road side of Edgeley Park, initially holding 500 seats. This was a timber structure, and was destroyed by a fire in 1935. It was replaced by a new stand one year later, which stands today, seating just over 2,000 and containing players' changing rooms and some club offices.

This stand is unconventional in design in that it straddles the half way line, with an obvious gap towards the corner flags. This is typical of certain grounds redeveloped at the time.

Railway End


The Railway End, formerly an uncovered terrace that at one time could hold up to 6,000, was the last part of Edgeley Park to be converted to seating in 2001, making the ground all-seater. It is now used for Away Supporters.


The record attendance is 27,833, when Liverpool visited Edgeley Park in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1950.

The floodlight system was first used with an opening friendly match against Fortuna '54 Geleen of Holland on 16 October 1956, whose side included four members of the Dutch national team that had defeated Belgium the previous week.

The ground once held two matches by the England international football team on the same day. On the 14 January 1958 the England squad were due to play training matches at nearby Maine Roadmarker, home of Manchester City FC but the pitch was frozen. Edgeley Park's pitch was deemed playable so it was decided to hold the matches in Stockport instead.

The first game saw England draw 2-2 with a Manchester City XI, and the second saw the England senior side defeat the England U23 side 1-0.

Edgeley Park was the venue for the final of the 1978 World Lacrosse Championship.

Chester City played a home Rumbelows Cup tie against Manchester City at Edgeley Park on 8 October 1991, owing to safety concerns regarding their temporary Moss Rosemarker home .



  1. About Stockport County

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address