The Full Wiki

More info on Elavumthitta

Elavumthitta: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Elavumthitta (Malayalam: ml:ഇലവുംതിട്ട (also Elavanthitta) is a small village in Pathanamthittamarker district of Keralamarker, Indiamarker. The majority of its inhabitants are from Hindu and Christian backgrounds. The primary crops are rubber, coconut, black pepper and plantain. The terrain is hilly with plenty of paddy fields in between. It's the commercial capital of Mezhuvelimarker panchayath.

COORDINATES OF ELAVUMTHITTA MARKET 9° 15′ 52″ N 76°42′ 39.34 ″E.The average height of Elavumthitta is 150 feet above mean sea level. The low lying water shed paddy fields around Elavumthitta is 100 feet above mean sea level. There is peak called Namakuzhy, 387 feet above mean sea level 2 kms. North of Elavumthitta.This peak can be considered as the highest spot in the area. There is a legend about this peak. The pandavas in exile visited this place and stayed here for a short while. There were giant size foot marks imprinted on rocks scattered above the hill believed to be of Bhima the mighty bare hand warrior of Mahabharat epic. And also there was a pit on the rock with perennial source of water; signs reinforcing the local beliefs.

Elavumthitta is the catchment area of two major rivers, the Sacred Pampa and Achankovil. The abundant rainfall in the region supplements these two rivers for keeping the river not drying in summer season, and in return the two rivers keep this region abundant in ground water and save Elavumthitta from draughts.Almost every house got open wells for their water requirement. People of Elavumthitta never experienced a drought or flood situation in their life. Pamba river is in the north, 8 kms away and Elavumthitta is in a much higher elevation; hence there is no flood in this region. The same thing is with Achankovil river, which is 5 Kms away in the western side of Elavumthitta. Elavumthitta was abundant in Streams and lush green paddy fields . There was a time; one could stand on a higher spot and enjoy the sight of endless coconut tree tops spreading its leaves and swaying in gentle breeze.

RAINFALL

Elavumthitta does not have its own rain gauge, but the area is in the close proximity of Pathanamthitta which is 11 km. away and has a Rain gauge. The average annual rainfall of pathanamthitta can be taken as the rain fall for Elavumthitta also; which comes to 2922 mm (The figure is of the year 2004 based on Statistics department , Pathanamthitta. )

Elavumthitta is flanked by the area of 4 panchayats. Following data is from the book ‘Panchayat level Statistics 2006’ published by Department of Economics & Statistics Thiruvananthapuram.

1 Mezhuveli ......Houses.... 3734.. nos... population... 15223 literacy 95.62%

2 Chennerkara....Houses.... 4834.. nos... population... 19538 literacy 94.27%

3 Kulanada.......Houses.... 6051.. nos... population... 24493 literacy 93.58%

4 Elanthoor......Houses.... 3809.. nos... population... 15425 literacy 95.33%

POPULATION AND HOUSES

As Elavumthitta is spread in 4 Panchayats we can calculate the area in the following manner—

70% of Mezhuveli…. ie. worked out as 2614 houses and 10656 people

50% of Cheneerkara ie. worked out as 2417 houses and. .9769 people

30% of Kulanada…...ie. worked out as 1815 houses and ..7347 people

30% of Elanthoor…..ie. worked out as 1142 houses and ...4627 people

Adding together we get total House holds in Elavumthita is 7988 and population 32,399nos.

LITERACY

From the above table we can also find that the average literacy of Elavumthitta area is 94.70 %

The market has 125 shops doing variety of business from pan-beedi business to Share business. In a month average 50 tons of raw rubber is sold in the Elavumthitta market. That is quite an impressive figure in such a small place.

MILMA MILK COLLECTION CENTRES IN ELAVUMTHITTA- .

  1. Nediyakala, Elavumthitta --The main collection centre
  2. Elavumthitta
  3. Chennerkara North
  4. Chennerkara East
  5. Kidangannur
  6. Kuzhikkala Punnamood Junction
In a day, when the season is favorable, up to 5,500 Litrs. of milk is collected in the main collection centre at Nediyakala and dispatched to Kollam Diary for processing. This centre is collecting milk from 37 centers, even from distant place like Mekkkozhoor beyond Kadammannitta.

Grow with the great-Mooloor the poet and social reformer of Elavumthitta

The name of Elavumthitta is synonymous with Mooloor S padmanabha Panicker. To People out side Elavumthitta, Mooloor was only a great poet of his time. He was more than that, fought with the so called elite groups of writers of his time, who thought that they were the sole custodian of literature. Initially they even mocked at his literary works and questioned his right to do such exercise, openly quoting the cast he belonged. That was enough to raise the sleeping lion –the literary genius in mooloor. Armed with his mighty pen and charged with the divine blessings of Sree Narayana Guru, he fought alone- it can be compared only with the legendary Abhimau the warrior of mahabharat who was trapped and slain by the veteran warriors. Here it was different, though he was cornered and attacked by the conservative veterans of letters , Mooloor could come out of every fight victorious, and in the end his rivalries made peace with him. The poetic mind could, not only woven beautiful poems of his time; being a visionary, he saw that Elavumthitta is lagging behind in every social need of that time. Be it in education, or in infrastructures, like roads or in marketing facilities for the agricultural produce- the place was famous for- needed immediate attention. His proximity with the rulers of Travancore made the tough task one by one in to realty.

In 1914 he was nominated to ‘Sreemulam Prajasabha’ by the Maharaja of Travancore. Fourteen years he was in that position and made dramatic changes in the society. His plea in the assembly for social justice to everyone in the society irrespective one’s cast and creed was heard throughout kerala. When there was taboo for members belonging certain casts walking on public road or entering temples, mooloor made schools to educate them, made temples for them to worship, and made public roads for every one’s use.

He was the main architect for shaping the Elavumthitta market. Most of the important roads in Kozhechery Taluk were made under his leadership. He founded more than 20 educational institutions in Elavumthitta and other parts of kerala.

He died in 1931 at the age of 62 leaving behind a great void, difficult to fill by another one. In 1989 Govt. of Kerala built a memorial at the place he lived in his last days, barely 3 kms. away from the Elavumthitta market junction. The memorial and its serene surrounding remind one, what a great soul was lived there once. The place is a pilgrim centre for many literary luminaries . In every year on the vijayadasmiday hundreds of parents bring their children to get initiated in to the world of letters here. Locally the ritual is called ‘Ezhuthiniruth’.

The objective of the memorial is to familiarize the present generation with the rich social as well as literary contribution of the poet and keep his memory alive. Few years ago in an interview for the police department, one board member asked an aspiring candidate --

“Well gentleman, your bio-data says you are a native of Elavumthitta . I understand Mooloor the great poet was from there. Now tell us something about him”.

It is sad that our young man had to admit his ignorance. The young man should know that a man named Mooloor S Padmanabha Panicker was instrumental in making Elavumthitta with the facilities he enjoys now. Let our youngsters grow with the memories of the great people like mooloor

Roads are the life line of a place

ELAVUMTHITTA IS GETTING GOVT TRANSPORT BUS ON GUN POINT IN 1957.

There was a time when people of Elavumthitta solely depended the sole of their heels to travel out of Elavumthitta. Be it for getting medical aid or attending schools or college one has to travel miles and miles,kilometers were not heard in those days- why even in the recent past rural elders refer distance as “nazhika.” One “nazhika” is roughly one mile.There were students who used to walk in the morning all the way to Thiruvalla, a place 30 kms away to attend college and then walking all the way back in the evening. Sure enough it was a tough task.

There were hurdles in connecting Elavumthitta with other places by public transport system. Motorable roads were not there. Road from Ambalakadavu Jn. in Thumpamon to Elavumthitta was very narrow. In 1950’s it was only a cart track. Similarly one has to walk all the way to Thekkemala Jn. near Kozhencherry to board a bus.

Then in 1953-54 two bridges were made near Punnakkad on Thekkemala Elavumthitta road. Two more bridges/ culverts were made south of Elavumthitta near Ramanchira in 1945-53. The construction of bridge and the road over heavy filling in the paddy field near Ramanchira was undertaken by contractor Mr.M.G George of Mannil, Nellanikunnu.

Then in 1954 one Private bus service started from Kallisseri to Omalloor. The name of the bus was“DAILY EXPRESS” . The bus with its long front to accommodate the engine and with a handle to turn the dynamo to start the bus reminded the first world war scenario.

Now the stage was set to pressurize the newly elected democratic Govt. of Kerala for public transport bus. Kambisseril Sankaran Vaidyan,(elder brother of Kambisseril Karunakaran) the then president of Mezhuveli panchayat, used his personal influence on the Transport Minister T V Thomas. The Bus route was sanctioned with a condition that road must be made motorable.Govt.officials surveyed the route, starting from Ambalakadavu to Thekkemala and suggested straightening the sharp bends and widen the road at several locations. This had to be done by the local public at their cost.

Sri.Sankaran vaidiyan organized volunteers for this task. The owner of the land near a stretch at Rramanchira did not give his consent for widening the road. He feared that people would force in to his property and widen the road. Armed with a court stay order he sought police protection.But People were adamant and in one fine morning, hundreds of people armed with pickaxe, shovel, and crowbar and baskets entered the disputed site and started uprooting trees. Owner of the land send his messenger to the Pandalam police station requesting the police to intervene and to prevent the encroachment of his land. The Sub Inspector reached the site in no time. On Seeing the Inspector, people started to disperse. Word sent to Sankaran Vaidyan. He rushed to the spot, and faced the Inspector-

“Sir, we will make the road, it is a public cause, please be with us”.

The Inspector was adamant, he drew his revolver and pointing it toSankaran Vaidiyan ordered him to move away.Sankaran Vaidyan called the people and asked them to continue with their works.People who were waiting this call, with a loud cry resumed their works more vigorously. Sounds of percussion instruments like “Chenda”, which was a must in those days for such occasions drowned the voice of law. It was Sankaran vaidyan’s day; Vaidyan offered a cigarette to the sullen inspector and also helped him lighting it .Thus in 1953-54 the long cherished dream of people of Elavumthitta became fulfilled- they got “transport bus”!.

A road is not just a road – It is T.K Kunjumman Road

T.K Kunjumman Road(ELAVUMTHITTA – OMALOOR ROAD)

In the beginning of twentieth century there was only a foot path connecting Elavumthitta and Omaloor. Mr. Kurien Gevarughese of vettinilkkunnathil took the initiative in making this foot path in to motorable condition. Stll the road was too narrow for smooth vehicular traffic. In1948 his grand son and the CSI church member of Nellanikunnu, Adv.V.K Varghese who was also the MLA of Pathanamthitta constituecy brought the matter in to the notice of PWD authorities. Later Thekkethil Sri.Kunjumman took the leadership, and not only in widening the road: his charismatic leadership brought bus service to this place. He was also the panchayat president of Chenneerkkara for several terms. In 1950’s when Govt of Kerala started establishing Primary health centre in different localities he made frequent visits to Thiruvanantapuram and got one sanctioned for Elavumthitta area. Sri. Kuzhimannil K.C Kurien was kind enough to donate the land for the Nellanikkunu Primary Health centre.

In the earlier days, most of the people of Elavumthitta, being agricultural farmers had to keep plenty of cattle. One veterinary hospital was a dire need for the locality. From the 2nd five year plan onwards, govt. was keen in giving attention to such social requirements. Under the leadership of Kunjumman Sir ,the CSI Church members and the public impressed the authorities and succeeded in getting a veterinary hospital for Elavumthitta. From the year 1960 people started getting veterinary services. Then a good Samaritan Vadakkedethu Sri. V.T Chaco donated the land for building the Veterinary Hospital. In 1960 veterinary Hospital started its activities in its own building. In recognition of Thekkethil Mr.. Kunjumman’s selfless service, the Govt. of Kerala named Elavumthitta – Omalloor road as “TK KUNJUMMAN ROAD”.

Market, nerve centre of economy

Elavumthitta market known for its cattle trading was established on 26th Sept. 1909 (Malayalam month-Kanni 11,1084). The market celebrated its 100th year on 26th Sept. 2009. The celebration will last for 6 months.

CATTLE MARKET

Elavumthitta market popularly Known as Elavumthitta Chandha celebrated its 100th year in September 2009. There is an important land mark in the middle of Elavumthitta- a huge banyan tree. How old the tree is, nobody knows, five hundred years or more that is anybody’s guess. Some say it is more than that. One thing is certain, that it gave shelter to generations of weary travelers, it witnessed the political changes of Kerala , listening fiery speeches of politicians who make makeshift stage on its platform now and then ; unaffected by either political speeches or religious sermons ; stand there majestically giving shelter to birds in to its long branches with thick green foliage and feeding its seasonal fruits to the needy birds.

The market was very famous for the cattle trading .Traders from faraway places like Thiruvananthapuram used to come here for either selling or buying cattle. 9th day of every Malayalam month was the market day exclusively for cattle trading. People from faraway places come to the market, a day or two in advance to secure a vantage spot to exhibit their cattle. In those days Space in the market was very little, roads were very narrow, owners of vacant land adjoining the market allowed the traders to occupy the land free or by paying a small fee. Some smart local guys drive stakes for tying the cattle and rent it for money. Suddenly the tea shops otherwise dull throughout the month will wake up and keep open their shop day and night. Some shop keepers hire petromax for this special night business. The whole place will become noisy with the loud shouting and bargaining of agents and middle men, the pitiful frightened crying of animals especially the mournful Call of lambs. It was difficult to pass along the narrow road in the market day, swash! You will be jumping in fright; you got a whip of a cow with its tail plastered with dung and urine. The whole area is covered with dung and urine of cattle. The stink will be lingering in the air till the next market day.

Now the cattle market is held twice in a month, 9th and 22nd of every Malayalam month. There is similar cattle market now in many places and the importance of the Elavumthitta cattle market is not like the earlier days.

WEEKLY MARKET

Wednesdays and Saturdays are the weekly market days for the people of Elavumthitta. In olden days the economy of Elavumthitta was closely related to agriculture produces. There were no rubber plantations then. People cultivated mainly paddy in wet land; dry land was used for growing Coconut palm, cashew trees, Tapioca , Pepper, gram, horse gram, green gram, red gram, filler millet, pineapple, mango, Plantain, bitter gourd, snake gourd, ash gourd , Pumpkin, lady’s finger, chilies, drumstick, yam . The foot hills had plenty of water shed fertile land; anything sown gave a rich return. Poor man’s staple food was Tapioca and sea fish. The weekly market was not only for selling and buying, it was a meeting ground and a venue for the local people to exchange pleasantries. Market day was a reference point for the local people in their conversation. Schedule of important assignments were changed or shifted or postponed taking the market day in to account. Market was also a venue for the young to develop familiarity with opposite sex and that in course of time developed in to intimacy and then culminated in marriage.

Fish and tapioca was the staple food for the common man. Fish market had an important place in the market... Fish venders brought fish from faraway places of coastal areas. The fish was brought in huge basket on cycles in its carrier and sure enough it required dexterity and stamina peddling miles and miles on rough roads. Market had its full sitting from around 11AM and it continued till late afternoon. Market day was appreciated by taking in to account the rate of fish available on that day. People on the way to the market would ask persons returning from the market -

“How is the fish market today”?

Weighing of fish was not heard in those days. Sardines fish was very popular. Sometimes sardines were so cheap that one could purchase even fifty nos. of sardines for 4 Annas, equivalent of today’s 25 paisa.Coconut Palms were plenty in Elavumthitta. Some family’s annual income was solely depended on coconuts. Plucking coconuts 3 to 4 times in a year and selling it to the merchants was a common practice in those days out of necessity. It is said that in those days almost one million coconuts were traded in a market day. Three to four truck loads of coconut husk-a raw material for making coir- used to be sent to other parts of Kerala where coir trading was active. Presently rubber is the main cash crop. Anyone with little land have few rubber trees in it; three to four rubber Sheets are enough to meet his immediate cash requirements on the market day.

Seasonal crops like cashew and pepper had ready market. Merchants sitting in a row with hand balance with cloth bags for weighing merchandise were a common site in those days. Clay pots were displayed in the market. Bamboo made baskets, large size mats for drying paddy, ladle made out of coconut shells, why you name a thing it will be available in the weekly market. Yes indeed it was an open market, every item was kept in the open ground .

Libraries in and around Elavumthitta

  • Menon Smaraka Grandhasala, Nediyakala, Mezhuveli
  • Janatha Library and Reading Room, Muttathukonam North
  • Sariga Grandhasala, Plamthottam, Elavumthitta
  • Bapuji Grandhasala, Mezhuveli North
  • Mezhuveli Panchayat Samskarika Kendram Grandhasala,Parayankara,Ullanoor
  • Gandhiji Smaraka Grandhasala Ullanoor west
  • Progressive Grandhasala, Alakkod, Mezhuveli


Libraries are the learning centre of rural folks

BIRTH OF A LIBRARY

The year is 1950: Nation is yet to shake off its hangover of the foreign rule. Reading and Sharing free thoughts were looked upon the as habits of irresponsible youths. Most of the elders were very un happy on seeing their young ones “idle away” their time in reading. We cannot blame the elders for this, unlike today, the time was hard; one has to work day and night to make both ends meet. Watching around, One will be surprised; everything has to be made; roads, schools, hospitals, houses, you name a thing necessary for human society; that has to be made. One may really wonder if the world was created only a couple of days ago!Many rural areas were without even elementary schools. News paper was a luxury. Malayalam weekly magazines were in great demand; people buy weekly magazine of their choice sharing the cost by contributing each one few paisa. The cost of a most popular malayalam weekly of that time was only two anna per issue; equivalent of today’s twelve paisa. There were no radio’ no cinema halls nearby, It is not that radio was not invented then; there was no money to buy one. Most of the rural people were depending on their meager agriculture. Cash crunch was very evident in the day to day life style of people. For many, even a shirt was a luxury. It was a custom to extend wedding invitation at least 15 days in advance so that one will have ample time to borrow a shirt from his friends; give a good wash then dry, press and keep it ready for that grand occasion. In such circumstances; buying books or news papers were not in the reach of a common man. But the youths were restless; revolutionary ideas were brought by communists. Atheists were looked upon as most modern by the young and most wicked by the old. In this confusion books were a solace to the young helping to drown their worries and pandering in to their romantic world . In this backdrop, wishes of many like minded persons of Muttathukonam crystallized in to forming a library. Yet an external push was required to take off the dream project. It came at last in the shape of a news that govt. considering of sanctioning one rural library in the vicinity of Elavumthitta. Many places near Elavumthitta, rivals of Muttathukonam in all healthy competitions- if come to know, will snatch it. First come first was the ‘rule of the game’ then; let us see who will get away with the library.

One afternoon people of Elavumthitta woke up from their siesta, hearing the continuous bell toll from the S N D P building. People rushed in fearing a calamity. They were told that an emergency meeting is to be held. In the closed door meeting it was decided that within a day or two one govt. official is visiting muttathukonam to take stock of the library activities. People were briefed that library room with a shelf, a bench and desk and if possible a wooden chair and a table must be arranged at least for that occasion. Then someone posed a question: difficult question indeed, what about the books! There was pin drop silence for a while. Then Mr. T.M Varghese Thundiyathu got up-

“I will arrange Books if someone can give me a helping hand”

Most of the people gathered there were not sure how to react; they know one thing, if T.M Varghese commits a thing it will be done. Then and there Mr. Kunjukunju of Mylamootil offered his help. Sri. Kunjukunju Thandar of Thaninilkkunnathil agreed to arrange a space in the corner of SNDP building for the Library. Now for the majority of the members present in the meeting, feasibility of the library has come in the sighting distance. Some one offered a wooden bunch, another said he has got a three legged table, another said he can fix the fourth leg and let us make the proceeding short; by the end of the meeting, every item required for starting a modest -mind it please, not modern-library was offered by one or the other from the audience.

People of Muttathukoam fondly remembers the selfless service of Tundiyathu TM Varugheese, Mylamootil Kunjukunju and Thaninilkkunnathil Kunjukunju Thandar in establishing a library in Muttathukonam. They visited every house in muttathukonam and nearby area and collected old books for the Library. Some books had no cover -

“No problem we will make the cover”

They collected books like that and painstakingly made the library. The inspector “came, saw, and satisfied”: and thus Muttahukonam got JANATHA LIBRARY AND READING ROOM. Hat off to the trio, they are no more with us, must be chuckling softly from where ever they are.

LIBRARY IS GETTING A RADIO

1960 –Libraries in affluent areas are now bought radio’s. How can Muttathukonam lag behind. A radio will cost minimum Rs. 500/-. That is a huge amount for the local people. Meetings and meetings were called but to no avail. Then someone suggested –why not have a lottery to raise fund for buying radio. A fine idea!, everyone agreed. So in the history of the muttathukonam , yes the first lottery was held. Cost of ticket was 4 anna – today’s 25 paise. The first prize was an alarm clock, a rare item then and an attraction for a common man; only few affluent had a an alarm clock in their house in those days. Volunteers were pressed in to action. On empty stomachs, and parched throats dozens of youngsters were swarmed in to nook and corner of muttathukonam with the lottery tickets. Where ever two people met, the talk will ultimately lead to lottery. And needless to say everyone will have a secret wish that he is going to get the clock. It is heard that one grandmother who never saw a clock in her life told her grandchildren-

“In case we get it where are we going to keep it; No place is safe here; you naughty ones are definitely going to tear it off”.The poor lady thought it is something made out of paper!

At last the day came for the lottery. Names were written on small slips of paper and put it on a basket. One child was asked to pick up a slip; one lucky person got it and it put a full stop to all speculation and excitement of the past few months of who will win dilemma. Though disappointment and disbelief was evident in everybody’s face except the winner; when the gathering heard that the money collected is only little short of the cost for a radio, every one clapped.

Almanac was cosulted, a good day was selected, and Mr. Dharmapala Panicker of Nediyakalayil was entrusrd to buy the radio from Pathanamthitta the nearest town. A week later one Murphy Radio- a valve set with magic eye was bought . One notice on the wall directly above the radio was warned that no one except the person authorized to operate; is allowed to touch it. Young and old looked forward for the evening, film songs of tamil, kannada, telugu and Malayalam from cylon radio will be in the air. Latest news of all India radio will be of greater interest among the elders. Needless to say, the radio brought a new life to Muttathukonam.

Educational Institutions

   1  Sreebuddha College of Engineering for Women
   2  Salvation Army L P School,Thumpamon North.
   3  S N Giri SNDPHSS Cheneerkara
   4  SNDPHSS Muttathukonam North
   5  Padmanabhodayam HSS Mezhuveli
   6  Gangadharavilasam LP School Mezhuveli
   7  Teachers Training Institute Mezhuveli
   8  Govt. Model LP School Mezhuveli North
   9  UP School Mezhuveli North
  10  S N Govt. LP School Kooduvettikal Karithotta
  11  Govt. Of India,s Women's ITI Elavumthitta
  12  Chandanakunnu UP School
  13  Sreebuddha Central School Ayathil
  14  Ambedkar English Medium School


Azad Arts and Sports Club

People of Elavumthitta had no entertainment in earlier days other than the “ASWATHIMAHOLSVAM” celebrated once in a year. Cinema halls were – you go in any direction- 10 to 20 kms. away. There were no convenient bus services to reach the cinema hall in time and to come back from there after the show. Still some really tough adventurers ventured to trek all the way to Pathanamthitta, Pandalam, Kozhencherry, or Chengannur whenever the popular pictures were shown, and then stealthily came back in the early hours of the morning after watching the movie. Surely the adventure, if detected invited the ire of elders and scornful look of neighbors. Those were the days everyone had a right to admonish the young, be it a neighbor or a stranger, and the action used to get ready approval of the parents.

The impact of KPAC dramas, which were successfully spreading revolutionary idea among common people for social changes, were closely watched by educated and progressive minded youths of Elavumthitta. At the stroke of 5’o clock in the evening January 26th 1957 Republic Day, when rest of the country was celebrating the occasion; Elavumthitta celebrated it in a unique way – They formed a club and named it as AZAD ARTS AND SPORTS CLUB, reminding the world the name of the revolutionary flame CHANDRASEKHAR AZAD, who sacrificed his life on the altar of Indian freedom struggle. The name was suggested by Sri. C. Chandra Dattan.MA. There was a meeting held in SNDP hall of Nedeyakala, barely one and a half kms. away from Elavumthitta market. Besides Mr.Chandra Dattan, members present in the meeting were; Mr.V.R Gopinathan Nair, Mr.C .A Gangadharan,T.K Sadanandan, P.K Gangadharan, A.D Kuttappaachari and Mr. Satyapalan. It was decided that the club will be based in Elavumthitta and the aim and objective of the club will have to promote arts and sports in Elavumthitta. Mr. C. Chandra Dattan as president, Mr. V.R Gopinathan Nair Secretary , and Mr. A.D Kutappanachari as Vice president started the club activities.

The popularity of the club was such that every one in Elavumthitta became the member of the club. Many famous and performing artists of Kerala of those days joined our Azad Club artists and staged several shows. Sri.Ayroor Sadasivan and Kottayam Joy were a few to name.

Under the leader ship of Azad Club, classes for teaching classical music, tabala, and harmoiam were conducted. Azad club had its own gifted members like Mooloor Balachandran, V.R Gopinathan Nair, Salim Kambisseril etc. to take the fame of Azad club throughout Kerala. Now It might be surprising to many that Azad had its own troupe of ballet. Azad’s professional drama troupe staged their drama in several parts of Kerala; why even the remote area like Kumali was not spared. Every month a new drama was the motto of Azad club members.

Azad was also very active in the area of Radio Drama. Almost 15 nos. of radio dramas were Performed by the Azad artists. Mr.V.R Gopinathan Nair and Mr. Salim Kambisseril were the drama writers and performing artists. Mr. John Philip of Mutathukonam was a prominent singer of the club for may years. Mooloor Jayaprakash's contribution as a song writer is remembered by many. Besides them Mr.P.K Sahadevan, E.N Gangadharan, E.R Rajan, C.A Gangadharan and P.N Ramachandran were the permanent performing artists of Azad club. Dancer C.R Das, U .N Sreedharan Kutty, Peter, Johnson, Joy, and Makeup man Mr. Mathai were the integral part of Azad Club. The club had its own Curtain set, Artist Kesavan was the designer of it. Mr. K Madhavan and Kambisseril Sankaran Vaidyan etc were the prominent Patrons of Azad Club.

The club has its office room in its own three roomed building situated in Elavumthitta, very close, a stone throw away distance from our legendary Banyan tree. Many of those stalwarts who made this club are no more with us but the club building stands in solitary isolation as a testimony to a glorious past.

Elavumthitta where temples and churches coexist

Elavumthitta is known for its religious tolerance for centuries. People celebrate annual ceremonies of temples or churches together irrespective of the religion they belong to. In fact A Hindu will be looking forward for the annual function of a church called “palliperunal” and equally a Christian will have the sweet memories of his child hood days witnessing temple festivals of his area; and People are too happy to contribute money liberally for this.There are many worshiping places in and around Elavumthitta.

1 . Elavumthitta Bhagavathi Temple..Existing for ages

2. Elavumthitta Malanada—Existing for ages

3. Salvation Army Church..Established 1903

4. Christraj Catholic Church..Established 1936

5. Belthlahem Mar Thoma Church..1936

6. Ananda Bhootheswaram Temple, Mezhuveli

7. kulakkada Sree Mahadeva temple..existing for ages

7. St.Mary’s Malankara Catholic Church Prakkanam..Established in 1956

8. Bhagavathy Temple Prakkanam. Existing for ages

9. Siva Temple Chenneerkara Established in..

8. ST. paul’s Church, Nallanikunnu..Established in 1857

10.Thabore Mar Thoma Church Pullamala

19.ST. Mary’s Orthodox Church Prakkanam

ELAVUMTHITTA BHAGAVATHY TEMPLE

For the believers, Devi , popularly addressed as Elavumthitta Bagavathy is all giving and almighty to her devotees. Devi’s temple is guarded by four hills - Manjakkattumala, Njaranmala, Malanthevermodi, Peruvilethumala, and also by 41 Prececptors. Devi is stationed in Manjakkatumala where the present temple is built. The sacred forest of earlier days called majakkatumala is the present Elavumthitta Malanada. Devi’s “lady” in waiting is stationed in Njaranmala.

Nobody is able to say how old the temple. It was there from time immemorial. There is a hear say that once upon a time some powerful land owners residing in the neighborhood brought Kadamittathu Katthanar, the famous sooth sayer and tantric of that time to pave way for cultivating the watershed area in front of the temple. Katthanar performed some rituals to ward off the obstacles they feared; and Katthanar could sense the strong presence of Bhagavathy and left the place in a hurry. His action invited the ire of Bagavathy; Kadamattathukatthanar and even his next generation had to suffer for it.

The temple was controlled by Pandalam palace and in 1934 the king appointed a Brahmin of melenikkavu as the ‘Thanthri’(an authority for conducting all temple rituals) for the Elavumthitta temple. It is believed that Chettikulangara deity and Malayalapuzha deity are the two sisters of Elavumthitta Bhagavathy. The temple attracts many devotees of far and near and one of the important temples of the locality.

See also



Schools - colleges - History of schools and colleges are also history of the place

SREE BUDDHA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FOR WOMEN

The celebrated poet and legislator Mooloor S.Padmanabha Panicker was instrumental in establishing more than 30 schools in various parts of Travancore before S.N.D.P Yogam was formed. The Dalit youths were educated and uplifted in the social, political and educational hierarchy by his efforts. Kambisseril Karunakaran and Guru Nitya Chaithanya Yati are some of the celebrated personalities who have lineage to this place. But as the saying goes: The lamp spreads light to its surroundings, but there will be darkness right below the lamp. No institution of higher learning came up in this locality while one can notice that most of other places are studded with institutions of higher learning especially in the changed economic scenario of this decade. It is this factor prompted the organizers of Sreebuddha foundation to start a women’s Eng.college in Elavumthitta.

The college is exclusively for women students. A good number of parents of Central Travancore, working overseas are in the look out for a quality institution to educate their daughters. The college and its campus are planned keeping in mind this vital aspect. The organizers plan to develop this technical institution blending the concepts of Lord Buddha- Kindness, Humanism and Equality – with the modern trends in the field of technology. The college has also got hostel facility with adequate security, state of the art kitchen & dining hall. The college started functioning from the year 2009.

SALVATION ARMY L P SCHOOL,THUMPAMON NORTH.

This is the first School of Elavumthitta, established in the year 1903. It celebrated its Centenary year in 2003. The land for the school was donated by Sri.Neelakanta Pillai of Alakkatu. Incidentaly he was also the first headmaster of the School. The school is located 1 km away from Elavumthitta market on the way side to Ramanchira.

SNDPHSS-MUTTATHUKONAM-

In the name of Sree Narayana Guru, People of muttathukonam joined with the SNDP UNION Brn. No.80, established an L P School in the year 1948. Sri. Neelakantan Thandar of lakshmimangalam, Kinaruvilayil was the founder Manager of the school.Irrespective of cast and creed , every one in Muttathukonam contributed their might for the growth of this School.Those days were very hard, most of the people were living in a hand to mouth situation.People who had coconut trees willingly gave the right of coconuts of one tree for the school fund. People who had no money and nothing to offer did voluntery free labour for the construction of the school.The enthusiasm and hard labour of people combined with efficient efforts of leadership raised this L P School to U P School in 1956. Mr. P.C. Samuel of Pulinthitta, Elavumthitta, was the first Head Master of this Up School.

Sri. R.Shankar the then Education minister of kerala laid foundation stone for the H S . Thus the H S becomes a reality in 1962. In the year 2000-2001 The school became HSS and Sri. P.N. Chandran was the first principal

Students of nearby places like Elavumthitta, Ayathil,chettiyam,Prakkanam,Nellanikunnu are the main beneficiaries of this Institution. Nearly 1000 students are getting their education in this School. There are nearly 50 teachers and 8 supporting staff working in this School.The School is equipped with Computer lab, Science lab and is in the front line in imparting education in this rural area where most of the people are depending on agriculture.The School is very proud that in 1980's the School was the continuous champion in women's volley ball in Pathanamthitta District.

SNDPHSS CHENNEERKARA-

It is believed that Adhishankaran visited Chenneerkara in AD 758- 820 periods. It is also believed that during his visit to this place he met shaktibhadran, the author of the famous Sanskrit drama “Ascharia choodamani”. There is a belief that the name of chenneerkara is derived from the domain of Shakti bhadran’s “Chenneerkara swarupam”. The year 1953 is very important for the people of chenneerkara. It was in 1953 S N Giri S N D P School –initially that was the name given to this school-was established. The site selected was close to the Siva temple managed by Branch No.89 of SNDP Union.

60 years ago the site where the present school is standing was a small hillock, scattered with huge boulders, trees and various shrubs of native wild flowering plants. It was the hard labor of the local inhabitants in transforming this forest like place in to a beautiful place of learning.

The first school was a single storied tiled roof building of 130 feet long and 30 feet wide. The school was opened on June1st of 1953.Let us remember those great personalities who had taken initiative and contributed cash and kind to this school in those cash crunch days.

For collecting fund for the school building, a 101 member committe was formed. Sri. N.K. Vasukutty of kanjiranilkkunnathil was nominated as the Captain of the team

Sri.P.K. Kamalasanan of Pottanjilikkunnel was the founder member and the first manager of the School. People of Chennerkara fondly remember his efforts in establishing this School against all odds.

The first donation was given by sri.Neelakandan of vadakkeattathu Adimuriyil.

Foundation stone for the school was laid by Sri.Krishnan, kannankarathadathil.

Timber for the school was donated from the “kochukoikal timber depot” by Sri.T.S. Sivadas of thattupurakkal.

Tiles for the roof were supplied by Mr. Yohannan of Edayaranmula on credit : payment was done latter by monthly installments.

Sri.Krisnan Achari was the chief carpenter of the school building, he was known to people as “kanakkan chakkamannan”.

Kerala Kaumudi Editor late Sri.K. Sukumaran’s help in overcoming hurdles in the beginning days is praiseworthy.

After 45 years from the humble beginning, the School was raised in to the status of HSS in 1998.By that time the perseverance of several dedicated and hardworking managers such as P.M.Madhavan, K.K.Bhaskaran, V.K.Sreedharan, T.S.Purushothaman, Kunju Panicker, N.K.Vasu, N.Chandra Panicker, V.K.Narayanan, T.N.Gopinathan, N.D.Suresh Kumar, P.N.Thankappan elevated the noble contribution of this School amides other exemplary Schools of the District . Student as far as from Muttathukonam and Elavumthitta used to study in this School in 1960’s.Total Student strength is about 1000. Nearly 46 teachers and 7 supporting staff are managing this School.

The school can be proud of educating people of this area for the last three decades

Indus Valley Script Study Centre Elavumthitta

KK RAMAN THE RUSTIC SCHOLAR AND FOUNDER OF INDUS VALLEY SCRIPT STUDY CENTRE, ELAVUMTHITTA-

Year 1985. - Place, Pathanamthitta PWD Inspection Bunglow. Sri. TK Ramakrishnan , Minister of culture Kerala was taking his lunch; one slip of paper was passed on to the minister by his aide an indication that some important and intimate visitor is seeking an audience with the minister at this odd hour . A glance on the paper slip, Minister gave his consent. Two gentlemen entered the room.

“Hello, Thampi how are you” the intimacy was evident in the minister’s voice.

“Sir, please meet my friend Mr.KK Raman the Scholar from Elavumthitta, Who is probing in to the mystery behind the Indus script hidden within the Harappa seal. He spent almost half a century in this pursuit incurred heavy burden on his purse, almost 40 lacks; he needs your help”.

Thus Professor KV Thampi of catholic college of pathanamthitta introduced his friend. The obscure rustic scholar from Elavumthitta came to limelight through this encounter.

KK Raman was born in 1914 in the padiyoor village near Kodungaloor. He had his primary education in his village. He was fortunate that his parents engaged a tutor in his house to teach him Latin and Sanskrit . From his relatives he learned Tamil, Kannada and telugu. He continued his education in Iringalakuda and Colombo. After his matriculation he joined the British Army in the Education Department where he could learn many languages. Also he could study religion in depth at this time and it lead him to probe in to the Sindu Valley Civilization. After the second world war he left the Army and devoted his whole time for the research. He has visited many foreign countries. He married and settled in Elavumthitta.Minister TK Ramakrishnan heard him patiently and told-

“Mr. Raman,why do you want to carry on with this enormous weight alone on your shoulders. It is too much for an individual and State has limitation in helping individuals on such projects”.

KK Raman had the tough making of a man, his stint in the army made him even more resilient in adversities. He had no university to lean back, no guide to shed light and lead him in the dark Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa labyrinths. He was ridiculed by the orthodox gangs of researchers under the UGC umbrellas enjoying fat Scholarships. He was questioned frequently and asked his credential for stepping in their sacred ground. The scene can be compared to the scene of Sree Narayana Guru Swami facing the Questionings of caste Hindu’s in Aruvippuram when he installed the Idol of God Siva. Like Guru Swami he was unmoved and patiently worked his way up. Armed with his knowledge of twenty languages and an inquisitive telescopic mind he visited the sites of Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro and seen what was going around. Heaps of fire burnt bricks and fragments of terracotta remains of what once was magnificent artesian works were scattered here and there. The scene is like the ground in the morning where a grand cultural program was held in the previous night ; but no one is there to tell us what was it. Beedi stubs and empty plastic Pouches were aplenty to tell you the presence of a large audience. But what was the program, was it classical dance or mimicry. You start searching the ground to find a notice or a banner. You could see a piece of paper, a bit only and that too bear a single alphabet, you can’t make out anything out of it, you are frustrated. If this is the case of what happened yesterday imagine the enormity of the problem of finding what happened in an alien land 4000 years ago.

Many scholars worked for decoding the mystic signs and inscriptions found at the site but failed.Mr. Raman could realize that lack of knowledge of the local dialects and conventional approach was the barrier in decoding the script. He started his probe in his own way. His knowledge of several languages and his life time interaction with the world community enabled him to accomplish his pioneering endever. He has elaborated the methods in his two books published in Malayalam. The first book ‘Saindhava Mudrakalil Urangunna Charithra Sathyangal’(Historical Truth Dormant In Indus Seals), was published in 1990 .The second one ‘Samskarathinte Srothasukal’(Sources Of Culture) was published in 1999. These two books were Published under the banner of Indus Valley Study Centre, ELAVUMTHITTA .

In the year 1964-65, Sri KK Raman was teaching English in pioneer college of Sri.KK Nair, Pathanamthitta. Later he taught in the MGS College, Pathanamthitta for three years; that was in 1980’s. Mr. KK Raman has visited many universities and colleges and presented his research papers. Elavumthitta is grateful to Mr. KK Raman that he generated scientific inquisitiveness among the young generation in a rural place like Elavumthitta. He died in December 25th. 2001. Let the young people complete the task KK. Raman has left behind; let us hope the INDUS VALLEY STUDY CENTRE, ELAVUMTHITTA, the institution he founded will guide them.

Major Social Institutions and Offices

  • State Bank of Travancore Branch
  • Pathanamthitta District Co-operative Bank Branch
  • S B I Group ATM
  • Diary Extension Office
  • K S E B Asst. Engineer's Office
  • B S N L Telephone exchange
  • Primary Health Centre,Nallanikunnu (site donated by Sri.K.C Kurien of Kuzhimannil)
  • Govt.Veterinary Hospital,Nallnikunnu Established in 1967.(site donated by Mr.V.T Chacko of Vadakkedathu, Nallanikunnu)
  • Govt.Homeo Hospital, Mezhuveli.Established in 17th sept. 1994.(land donated by S Subhaga of Navaranga,Mezhuveli.)
  • Govt Ayurveda hospital,Nediyakala- Mezhuveli
  • Govt Ayurveda hospital,Prakkanam


Famous personalities


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message