Elbtal is a community in
Limburg-Weilburg district in Hesse, Germany.
lies on the Westerwald’s southern slope above the Lahn
(administrative seat), Elbgrund, Hangenmeilingen, und
The hills on either side of the Elbbach were already inhabited by
the New Stone Age
, as shown by the
many finds of stone tools. The circular
("Little Heath House")
near Hangenmeilingen has been dated to Hallstatt times
(750 to 450 BC).
Heuchelheim had its first documentary mention
in 772 in a donation document from the Lorsch Abbey. Waldmannshausen, one of Elbgrund’s forerunner
communities, had its first documentary mention on 21 October 1138
in connection with its donation to the monastery at St. Goar.
Dorchheim had its first documentary mention in 1215 in a document
from the Maria Laach Abbey while Mühlbach, Elbgrund’s other
forerunner community, was first mentioned in 1230 in a donation by
the House of Nassau
to the Teutonic Knights
. Hangenmeilingen had its
first documentary mention on 21 January 1333.
The still preserved moated castle of Waldmannshausen in Elbgrund
was in the Middle Ages
the seat of the
, who held the judiciary overlordship in the
surrounding country. The building work comprises a Late Gothic
dwelling house with two
round towers and commercial buildings, which are still used today.
To the west are found the ruins of an older, cross-shaped castle.
In 1835, the castle came into the prominent Bethmann banking family’s
the Second World War
, it was
quarters for the United States
. Today its use is scholastic.
One of the oldest buildings in the community is the
in Dorchheim, which has been used since
1993 as Elbtal’s town hall. Its exact building year is unknown. It
is one of three still preserved estates that belonged to the
Until the mid 20th century, clay and basalt were quarried
in Mühlbach’s municipal area.
On 1 February 1971, the communities of Dorchheim, Hangenmeilingen
and Heuchelheim merged into one with the name Elbtal. On 1 July
1973, the then still autonomous community of Elbgrund also joined,
after itself having been formed in a merger in 1936 of the formerly
autonomous communities of Mühlbach and Waldmannshausen.
Elbtal Town Hall in Dorchheim
The municipal election held on 26 March 2006 yielded the following
- Waldmannshausen Castle
- Kapelle St. Nikolaus (“Saint Nicholas’s Chapel”) at
the Dorchheim cemetery
- Built in the early 12th century and converted in the 16th
century, it has central pillars with rich carving and a sanctuary
with a painting gallery.
Economy and infrastructure
Elbtal is a residential community. Besides the trades and crafts
that are customary in such a place, there is no industry.
community lies on Bundesstraße 54 (Siegen - Limburg) and is thereby well linked to the long-distance
in Dorchheim serves as a common primary
school for the community. Nearby secondary schools are the
Mittelpunktschule St. Blasius
in Frickhofen and the
Fürst Johann Ludwig Schule
- Kindergarten Elbtal "Sonnenblume"
- Kindergarten Elbtal "St. Josef" in Dorchheim
- Dorchheim Volunteer Fire Brigade,
founded 1895 (includes Youth Fire Brigade)
- Elbgrund Volunteer Fire Brigade, founded 1934 (includes Youth
- Hangenmeilingen Volunteer Fire Brigade, founded 1934 (includes
Youth Fire Brigade)
- Heuchelheim Volunteer Fire Brigade, founded 1967 (includes
Youth Fire Brigade)