The Full Wiki

Ellesmere Canal: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Ellesmere Canal was a canal in Englandmarker and Walesmarker, originally planned to link the Rivers Merseymarker, Dee, and Severn, by running from Netherpool (now known as Ellesmere Portmarker) to Shrewsburymarker. The canal that was eventually constructed was very different from what was originally envisioned. Part of the Ellesmere Canal has now become known as the Llangollen Canalmarker, part forms a section of the Montgomery Canal, and part forms a section of what is now called the Shropshire Union Canalmarker main line.

History

The plan

The formal proposal for the canal was launched at a meeting in Ellesmeremarker in 1791 for a canal from Netherpool (now known as Ellesmere Portmarker) on the River Merseymarker to the River Dee, and from there via Overtonmarker (south of Wrexhammarker) to the River Severn at Shrewsburymarker. This proposed canal would have branches, to the iron making and coal mining areas at Bersham between Wrexhammarker and Ruabonmarker, and to Llanymynechmarker.

However, there were suggestions that it would be better to take a more westerly route from the Dee to the Severn, passing directly through the Ruabon industrial area, and John Duncombe was asked to survey such a route. The engineer William Jessop was called in to advise, and he recommended Duncombe's route. This route posed formidable engineering obstacles, with deep valleys to be crossed and high ground to be tunnelled. Duncombe's survey involved a climb of 92m (303ft) from Chestermarker to Wrexham, a 4212m (4607 yard) tunnel at Ruabon, a high level crossing over the Dee at Pontcysylltemarker, a further tunnel and aqueduct near Chirkmarker, and a tunnel in Shropshire near Weston Lullingfieldsmarker.

A plan of the canal, published in 1795 shows the intended route, with the main line running from the River Mersey to the River Severn passing through or past: Great Stanney; Stokemarker; Wervinmarker; Caughall; Chester; Saltneyside; Leech Hall; Rough Hill; Cuckoos Nest; Wrexhammarker; Ruabonmarker; Plas Maddock; Chirkmarker; Hordleymarker; Dandyford; Shade Oak; Weston Lullingfieldmarker; Eytonmarker; Walfordmarker; Hancott; Shrewsburymarker. This plan showed four branches. A three mile (5 km) branch would run to Holtmarker. A five mile (8 km) branch would from near Wrexham to Brumbomarker. A branch would run from near Hordley to Llanymyneckmarker, via Maesburymarker, Morton and Crickheath. A branch would run from near Tetchill to Prees Heathmarker, via Welshamptonmarker, Fenns Mossmarker and Whitchurchmarker.



An Act of Parliament was passed in 1793, and Jessop was appointed engineer while Thomas Telford was appointed as General Agent. The easy section from the Mersey to the Dee near Chester, was first used in 1795. This allowed the company to generate revenue from tolls in order to help finance construction of the rest of the canal.

For the second, upstream, crossing of the River Dee, rather than crossing at full height, Jessop had offered a cheaper solution using locks on both sides of the valley to take the canal down to a more manageable height, although this would have required backpumping the water they would use. Although it is not clear exactly with whom the credit should lie, between them Jessop and Telford developed a proposal for a cast-iron aqueduct at Pontcysylltemarker in 1795 without any locks or backpumping, thus maintaining the original level.

Construction

In 1796 the Llanymynech Branch was opened, linking the main line at Frankton Junctionmarker with Llanymynech. This joined the Montgomeryshire Canal at Carreghofa Locks when the Montgomeryshire opened in 1797.

In 1796 construction on a feeder reservoir at Moss Valleymarker was started. In 1798 work on this section of canal was ceased. This isolated section ran from Ffrwd to a basin in Summerhillmarker.

The Mersey to the Dee section was joined to the Chester Canal in 1797.

On the main line section, the Chirk Aqueduct was opened in 1801, and Pontcysyllte Aqueductmarker in 1805. However, by this time the proposed line from the Dee at Chester to Ruabon had been abandoned as uneconomic. The canal was therefore terminated at Trevor Basinmarker, 2 miles southwest of Ruabonmarker.

Also abandoned was the plan to reach the Severn, as the Shrewsbury Canal was already serving the town, and the poor navigational state of the Severn meant that additional traffic would not justify the cost of the building works.

As the canal would now not reach its proposed main source of water northwest of Wrexham, a feeder was constructed along the side of the Dee valley to Horseshoe Fallsmarker at Llantisilio. This narrow feeder branch was made navigable, allowing boats to reach Llangollenmarker.

What was originally to be constructed as the main line of the canal in fact only ran from Pontcysyllte Basin to Weston Lullingfields, some long. This left the canal isolated from the rest of the waterways network, so so the planned Whitchurch branch was re-routed to link the canal to the rest of the waterways network.The "branch" was constructed, from Frankton via Ellesmere to the Chester Canal at Hurleston Junctionmarker. It was finished in sections between 1797 and 1806 and became considered the main line.As the new route by-passed Whitchurchmarker, the extension included a short arm to reach the town.Another branch originally intended to reach Preesmarker; however this never reached its destination, and was only constructed as far as Quina Brookmarker.

The section from Frankton Junction to Weston Lullingfields, originally intended as part of the main line, was then considered a branch, known as the Weston Branch. The uncompleted section between Weston Lullingfields and the River Severn Shrewsbury would have been long, with of lockage and a tunnel at Weston Lullingfileds.

Later history

The Ellesmere Canal merged with the Chester Canal in 1813, forming the Ellesmere and Chester Canal Company.

A merger with the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canalmarker in 1845 was followed in 1846 by the formation of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company.

Decline

In 1917 the Weston Branch was closed following a breach near Hordley Wharf,.

By 1939 traffic on the line from Hurleston to Llangollen had ceased, and the whole of the Ellesmere Canal network other than the line from Ellesmere Port to Chester was closed to navigation by Act of Parliament in 1944. However, the line from Hurleston to Llangollen was retained purely as a water feeder for the Shropshire Union Canal main line and for drinking water, with an agreement in 1955 with the Mid & South East Cheshire Water Board securing the line's future.

Today

Despite the formal closure, increasing popularity of the canal with pleasure boats led to its acceptance as an important amenity, and the rebranding as the Llangollen Canal. As the canal was never intended to go to Llangollen, this renaming is an ironic twist symbolic of the canal's convoluted development.

The Ellesmere Canal south of Frankton Junction, including the Llanymynch Branch and the Montgomeryshire Canal, is nowadays referred to as the Montgomery Canal, and the isolated northern section from Chester to Ellesmere Port considered part of the main line of the Shropshire Union Canal.

The Weston Branch is now infilled, save for a very short section, which has a British Waterways amenity block.

Route

Ellesmere Port to Chester

Starts at the junction of the with the Manchester Ship Canal at Ellesmere Port Dockmarker.
Whitby locks, Ellesmere Port basin


The configuration of the locks at Chester was altered when the Ellesmere Canal was joined to the Chester Canal, with the original 5-lock staircase being replaced by the three Dee locks. This section is now part of the Shropshire Union Canalmarker.

Hurleston to Frankton Junction

This section was added to link the canal to the national network. It is now part of the Llangollen sectionmarker of the Shropshire Union Canalmarker

Frankton Junction to Trevor Basin

This was the principal part of the original main line of the canal. It is now part of the Llangollen sectionmarker of the Shropshire Union Canalmarker.

Trevor Basin to Horseshoe Falls

This section of the canal was added as a navigable feeder. It is now part of the Llangollen Canalmarker.

Frankton Junction to Llanymynech

The section from Frankton Junction to the Weston Branch was originally intended to be the main line of the canal. This section is now considered to be part of the Montgomery Canal.

Frankton Junction to Weston Lullingfields

This section was originally intended to be the main line of the canal, and is now infilled. The long arm had wharves at Hordley, Dandyford, Pedlar's Bridge, Shade Oak and Weston Lullingfields. At Weston Lullingfields the canal company built a wharf, four lime kilns, a public house, stables, a clerk's house and weighing machine. These were opened in 1797 and closed in 1917 when the Weston branch was closed following a breach of the canal.

See also



References

  • Todd, John (2003) "A canal of many parts", Waterways world, 32 (2: Feb.), p. 46–49 & (3: Mar.), p. 48–51.
  • Wilson, Edward A. (1975) The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal : an historical background, London : Phillimore, ISBN 0-85033-109-9



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message