The Full Wiki

More info on Endcliffe Park

Endcliffe Park: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The woods of Endcliffe Park
Endcliffe Park is a large park in the city of Sheffieldmarker, South Yorkshiremarker, Englandmarker. The park was opened in 1887 to commemorate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

Endcliffe Park comprises parkland as well as woodland. The portion along Rustlings Road is grassy and used as a recreation whilst the Northern border, separated from the recreation grounds by the Porter Brookmarker, is woodland, and is traversed by many paths.

The entrance to the park was a toll bar on the road to Hathersagemarker, next to the entrance is a Grade II listed pavilion.

To the left of the park's entrance is the park's sports club, a tennis club.

Monuments

[[Image:Endcliffe Park - Queen Victoria's statue 13-05-06.jpg|200px|left|thumb|Erected byCitizens of Sheffield in honour of a Great Queen MDCCCCIV.]]The park features two monuments dedicated to Queen Victoria. Near the entrance is a statue of Queen Victoria as well as a tree planted by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield to commemorate her Jubilee.

Mid-way up the path towards Whiteley Woodsmarker is an obelisk also in honour of Queen Victoria. This originally stood at Moorheadmarker in Sheffieldmarker city centre.

There is also a memorial stone at the crash site of the USAF B-17 Flying Fortress "Mi Amigo". The plane was hit over Germany in 1944 and the crew only got this far back to their airbase. It is suggested that they put it down in the park to avoid hitting the nearby houses. Each year there is a service to commemorate them, which is held at the site. A full history of the crash is given at the BBCs' h2g2 site linked below.

As well as several monuments a new playground has been added in 2008 with many attractions for children.

The park often hosts circuses and other events in the summer. There is an excellent cafe.

The second, and larger, pond.


Ponds

The Porter Brookmarker, although flowing freely between the many old trees of the park, is dammed and forms two ponds, home of ducks and pigeons. The first pond, situated to the West of the park has an island. There is no access to theisland.

The second pond is larger and the Southern side of the pond is walled with a path on top, the pond's wildlife use it as a resting place.


Special designations



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message