The Full Wiki

More info on Ephratah, New York

Ephratah, New York: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Ephratah is a town in Fulton Countymarker, New Yorkmarker, United Statesmarker. The population was 1,693 at the 2000 census. The name is from the Bible and means "fruitful."

The Town of Ephratah, is in the southwest part of the county and is west of Gloversvillemarker and Johnstownmarker.

History

The region was first settled around 1720. The Stone Arabia patent, granted in 1723, comprised much of the south part of Ephratah.

The town name, suggested by earlier inhabitant Anthony Beck, suggests abundance-bearing fruit, in his prophecy of a great city to be built there in the future.

The town was formed in 1827 from the Town of Palatinemarker in Montgomery Countymarker before the creation of Fulton County. On the formation of Fulton County in 1838, part of Ephratah was returned to Palatine.

Notable residents



Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.4 square miles (102.1 km²), of which, 39.2 square miles (101.6 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²) of it (0.56%) is water.

The south town line is the border of Montgomery Countymarker. The northern part of Ephrathah is in the Adirondack Park.

New York State Route 10 is a north-south highway that intersects New York State Route 67, an east-west highway in the south part of the town, at Ephratah village. New York State Route 29 is an east-west highway through the middle of the town.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 1,693 people, 625 households, and 473 families residing in the town. The population density was 43.2 people per square mile (16.7/km²). There were 720 housing units at an average density of 18.4/sq mi (7.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.00% White, 0.35% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.12% of the population.

There were 625 households out of which 36.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.4% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 20.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.02.

In the town the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 32.0% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $33,810, and the median income for a family was $36,324. Males had a median income of $28,566 versus $21,607 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,656. About 10.4% of families and 15.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.7% of those under age 18 and 13.3% of those age 65 or over.

Communities and locations in Ephratah

  • Dempster Corners – A location in the northwest part of Ephratah on County Road 119.
  • Ephratah – The hamlet of Ephratah was founded around 1803 and is on NY-10 by the Garoga Creek.
  • Fical Corners – A location in the western part of the town, north of Lassellville on County Road 119.
  • Garoga – A hamlet in the north part of the town adjacent to Garoga Creek and on NY-29.
  • Garoga Creek – A stream running southward through the town from the Town of Carogamarker, north of Ephratah.
  • Lassellsville – A location in the western part of the town on NY-29.
  • Rockwood – A location in the northeast part of the town on Garoga Creek and NY-10. It was called "Pleasant Valley" after being settled around 1800.
  • Scotchbush – A hamlet in the western part of the town, northeast of Lassellville.
  • Spook Hill – An elevation by Ephratah village where Beck claims to have seen a great city in the future where the current village existed.
  • St. Johnsville Reservoir – A small reservoir east of Scotchbush.


References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message