The Full Wiki

Filey: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Filey is a small town and civil parish in North Yorkshire, Englandmarker. It forms part of the borough of Scarboroughmarker and is located between Scarboroughmarker and Bridlingtonmarker on the North Seamarker coast. Although it started out as a fishing village, it has a large beach and is a popular tourist resort. Until 1974 it was an urban district in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

According to the 2001 UK census, Filey parish had a population of 6,819.

Filey is at the eastern end of the Cleveland Way, a long-distance footpath; this starts at Helmsleymarker and skirts the North Yorkshire Moorsmarker. It was the second National Trail to be opened (1969). It is also the northern end of the Yorkshire Wolds Way which starts at Hesslemarker and crosses the Yorkshire Woldsmarker. Filey is the finishing point for Great Yorkshire Bike Ride. The 70 mile ride begins at Wetherby Racecoursemarker.

Filey has a railway stationmarker on the Yorkshire Coast Line.Previously Filey also had a second station Filey Holiday Camp railway stationmarker to the south of the town serving the former Butlins holiday camp. This camp has now been re-developed into a 600-home holiday housing development, The Bay Filey. It is one of the largest coastal developments of this kind in the UK and the first homes began to be handed over to buyers in 2007.

Filey Beach at noon
The town has recently had a boom of house buyers due to a Persimmon estate being built in the area of Seadale. It was predicted to add significantly to the population.

Filey has two wishing wells, located in the Crescent Gardens. One is a traditional looking type, and the other is smaller, with a concrete model of a church and houses set around it, with a bell to ring and make a wish. The former is a popular site for tourist and family photographs.

In July 2007 Filey was hit by flash floods which caused major problems in the town, with various areas suffering damage.


Filey remained a small village until the 18th century when visitors from Scarborough arrived seeking the peace and quiet that Filey offered. Then in 1835 a Birmingham solicitor called John Wilkes Unett bought 7 acres of land and built the Crescent, later known as the Royal Crescent. It was opened in the 1850s and for 100 years it was the most fashionable address in the North of England.

English composer Frederick Delius stayed as a boy on the Crescent with his family at Miss Hurd's boarding house no 24 in 1876 plus 1877 and at Mrs. Colley's no 24 in 1897.

For more than 40 years Butlin's Holiday camp was a major factor in Filey's economy. Building work began in 1939 and continued through the war during which it became a military base known as R.A.F. Hunmanby Moor. In 1945 it became a popular holiday resort complete with its own railway station and by the late 1950s it could cater for 10,000 holiday makers. Unfortunately it was to close in 1984, causing a decrease in the holiday makers visiting Filey.

The Bonhomme Richard, the famous ship sailed by John Paul Jones, who was a Scottish born American known as the "father of the US Navy", was lost after a fierce landmark battle in 1779 (The Battle of Flamborough Head) in which hundreds died. Its location remains a mystery and is believed by many to lie somewhere within Filey Bay. The Bonhomme Richard fought in the Battle and even through its eventual sinking, the outcome of the battle convinced the French crown to back the colonies in their fight to separate from British authority.Although the precise location of the Bonhomme Richard is unknown, numerous expeditions have been undertaken to try and locate her. However, decades of fishing trawling and numerous other wrecks have made this procedure complicated. So far, she has not been located.

Notable people


External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address