The Full Wiki

More info on Finksburg, Maryland

Finksburg, Maryland: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Finksburg is an unincorporated community in Carroll Countymarker, Marylandmarker, United Statesmarker. It is the location of the National Security Agencymarker's EKMS Central Facility. Finksburg is located at the intersection of Maryland Route 91 and Maryland Route 140, on the border of Carroll and Baltimore counties. It is an unincorporated area about one mile northwest of the Liberty Reservoirmarker and six miles southeast of Westminster, Marylandmarker.

Finksburg is named after Adam Fink, owner of a local tavern and toll road in the early 1800s.

The Greater Baltimore Hindu-Jain Temple is located in Finksburg.

Actor Fred Gwynne is interred here at the Sandymount United Methodist Church's graveyard, but his grave was unmarked.

Modern Day

The town is host to Finksburg Plaza, a local shopping center, as well as a few restaurants and gas stations. A library was recently opened. The town is home to Roaring Run Park, home of the Finksburg Baseball Program.


  • 1849 - Edward Remington and the Patapsco Mining Company opened cobalt mines near Finksburg
  • 1855 - Western Maryland Railroad reached Finksburg
  • 1856 - A. L. Hoover was postmaster of Finksburg, earning $63.60 for the year
  • 1858 - Cobalt mining was unprofitable and mines were closed for financial reasons
  • 1866 - Baseball was the most popular sport, the "Star" of Finksburg was the local club (team)
  • 1873 - The Alpha Farmers' Club of Carroll County was established
  • 1881 - The Finksburg Literary Society organized lecturers for Friday night meetings at the Mechanics' Hall. Admission was 5 cents.
  • 1888 - L. A. J. Lamotte operated a business for canning corn
  • 1935 - Sandymount Elementary School began as a three-room stone building consolidating the smaller one room schools of Reese, Bethel, and Sandymount. [88619]

Timeline information taken from, unless otherwise noted:Warner, Nancy, Ralph Levering and Margaret Taylor Woltz. Carroll County Maryland: A History 1837-1976. Carroll County Bicentennial Committee, 1976.

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address