The Full Wiki

More info on Flinders Street, Melbourne

Flinders Street, Melbourne: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Flinders Street is a notable street in Melbournemarker, Victoriamarker, Australia. Running roughly parallel to the Yarra Rivermarker, Flinders Street forms the southern edge of the Hoddle Grid. It is exactly one mile (1609.344 m) in length and one and half chains (30.1752 m) in width. It is named for the explorer Matthew Flinders, who was (erroneously) credited with discovering Port Phillipmarker at the time of its naming. It extends eastwards as far as Spring Street and the Treasury Gardensmarker, and westwards past Batman's Hill to the Melbourne Docklandsmarker. As the closest street to the river, Flinders Street serviced Melbourne's original river port. Customs House, now the site for Victoria's Immigration Museummarker, is situated on Flinders Street.

The street is home to Flinders Street Stationmarker, the central station in Melbourne's suburban rail network. Tram routes 48, 70 and 75, as well as the City Circle route, run along Flinders Street, and the Flinders Street Viaduct runs parallel to the street, linking the cities two major railway stations.

Other landmarks on Flinders Street include Federation Squaremarker, St Paul's Cathedralmarker, Young & Jacksonmarker, the Banana Alley Vaults, Melbourne Aquariummarker and Batman Park, which adjoins the Yarra River. It was once home to the Melbourne Fish Market, an ornate building constructed in 1890, covering 23,000 square metres, and of similar design to Flinders Street Station. The market was demolished between 1958 and 1960 after which the site became a public carpark. The site is now home to the three towers of the Northbank Place complex which includes office space, residential apartments, retail outlets and a multi-level carpark.


King Street Overpass

An overpass was built over the intersection with King Street as part of the construction of Kings Way. It extended from Downie Street to just east of Custom House Lane. The overpass opened in stages with trams using it from early 1960 and other traffic from mid 1960. Many businesses and properties were overshadowed by the overpass which resulted in property values dropping and the closure of hotels, shops and showrooms. Plans to revitalise the area in the early 1960s never eventuated.

In April 2005, the State Government announced a plan to revitalise the south west corner of the CBD with the overpass destined for demolition. The project commenced in June and concluded in August bringing four and a half decades of depression in the area to an end.

Images

Northern side

File:Sir charles hotham hotel.jpg|Sir Charles Hotham Hotel on the corner of Flinders and Spencer, built in 1914, it is one of the last works by architect William PittFile:Heritage building on flinders street melbourne.jpg|1908 buildingFile:Hosies hotel flinders street melbourne.jpg|Hosie's Hotel. Built in 1955 for the 1956 Summer Olympics to the design of Mussen, McKay and Potter. Features a colour mosaic mural of Geometric abstract art.File:Empire building flinders street melbourne.jpg|Former Empire Building. Built 1905 to the design of Nahum BarnetFile:Mutual store flinders street melbourne.jpg|Former Mutual Store (now apartments) on the corner of Degraves Street. Building 1891 to the design of Reed, Smart & Tappin.File:Ackmans building flinders street melbourne.jpg|Ackman's Building, on the corner of Degraves Street. One time office space for Australia Post, currently a backpacker's hostel.File:Yooralla house flinders street melbourne.jpg|Yooralla House. Streamline Moderne building.File:Former sec headquarters melbourne.jpg|Former SEC Headquarters. Art deco skyscraper.File:Port phillip arcade mural flinders street melbourne.jpg|1950s design Port Phillip Arcade muralFile:IMG_6338_Young_and_Jackson,_Melbourne,_Australia.jpg|Young and Jacksons HotelFile:Flinders street, melbourne.jpg|St Paul's Cathedral: the north face and the spireFile:Metropolitan gas company building flinders street.jpg|Former Metropolitan Gas Company (1892), by architects Reed, Smart & Tappin in the Venetian Gothic styleFile:Former ball & welch department stores flinders street.jpg|Former Ball & Welch Department store buildings (1898), by architects H.W & F.B Tompkins. Two additional storeys added in the 1980s.File:Former masonic club building flinders street.jpg|Former Masonic club buildings built in the 1920s. Converted into apartments with additional top storey in the 1990s.File:Forum Theatre Melbourne.jpg|Forum Theatremarker, opened 1929File:Hwtbuild.jpg|The old Herald and Weekly Times building. Built in 1921 to the design of H.W & F.B Tompkins

Southern side

File:August 2006 Flinders Street Station.jpg|Flinders Street Station main entranceFile:Flinders street station west facade.jpg|Flinders Street Station west facadeFile:MelbourneAquariumEast.JPG|Melbourne Aquarium, Yarra River facade

External links



References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message