Florida East Coast Railway is a Class II railroad operating in the
U.S. state of
Florida; in the past, it has been a Class I railroad.
It is currently
owned by RailAmerica
. The FEC is renowned
for building the first railroad bridges to Key
West, that have since been rebuilt into road bridges for
vehicle traffic and are now known as the Overseas
It was originally known as the
Jacksonville, St. Augustine & Halifax River Railway, then
became the Jacksonville, St. Augustine & Indian River Railway
and then, for just a few months prior to becoming the Florida East
Coast Railway in September 1895 was known as the Florida Coast
& Gulf Railway. for more information and other former railroads
merged into the line, see the family
Henry Flagler: Developing Florida's east coast
The Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) was developed by Henry Morrison Flagler
, an American
, real estate promoter, railroad
developer and John D. Rockefeller's
partner in Standard Oil
. Formed at Cleveland, Ohio as Rockefeller, Andrews &
Flagler in 1867, Standard Oil moved its headquarters in 1877 to
Flagler and his family relocated there as
well. He was joined by Henry H.
Rogers, another leader of Standard Oil who
also became involved in the development of America's railroads,
including those on nearby Staten Island, the Union
Pacific, and later in West Virginia, where he eventually built the remarkable Virginian Railway to transport coal to Hampton
Flagler's non-Standard Oil interests went in a different direction,
however, when in 1878, on the advice of his physician, Flagler
traveled to Jacksonville, Florida for the
winter with his first wife, Mary, who was quite ill.
years after she died in 1881, he married Mary's former caregiver,
Ida Alice Shourds. After their wedding, the couple traveled to
Flagler found the city charming, but the
hotel facilities and transportation systems inadequate. He
recognized Florida's potential to attract out-of-state visitors.
Though Flagler remained on the Board of Directors of Standard Oil,
he gave up his day-to-day involvement in the firm in order to
pursue his Florida interests.
Flagler returned to Florida, in 1885 he began building a grand St.
Augustine hotel, the Ponce de León Hotel.
Flagler realized that the key to developing
Florida was a solid transportation system, and consequently
purchased the Jacksonville,
St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway
December 31, 1885. He also discovered that a major problem facing
the existing Florida railway systems was that each operated on
interconnection impossible. Shortly after purchasing the
JStA&HR Railway, he converted the line to standard gauge
. The small operation was
incorporated in 1892.
The earliest predecessor of the FEC was the narrow gauge
St. John’s Railway, incorporated
in 1858, which constructed a now-abandoned line between St.
Augustine and Tocoi, a small settlement on the east bank of the St.
Johns River, midway between Palatka and Green Cove Springs. In
1883, Henry M. Flagler
, now retired from Standard Oil,
moved to St. Augustine and purchased several hotels. The East Coast
of Florida was relatively undeveloped at that time, and Flagler
found it difficult to obtain the construction materials he needed.
His purchase of the JStA&HR Railway was intended to make it
faster and easier to supply his building projects.
The JStA&HR Railway served the northeastern portion of the
state and was the first operation in the Flagler Railroad system.
Before Flagler bought the line, the railroad stretched only between
South Jacksonville and St. Augustine and lacked a depot
sufficient to accommodate travelers to
his St. Augustine resorts. Flagler built a modern depot facility as
well as schools, hospitals and churches, systematically
revitalizing the largely abandoned historic city.
Flagler next purchased three additional existing railroads: the
St. John's Railway
, the St. Augustine and
, and the St. Johns and Halifax
so that he could provide extended rail
service on standard gauge tracks. Through the operation of these three
railroads, by spring 1889 Flagler's system offered service from
Jacksonville to Daytona. Continuing to develop hotel facilities to
entice northern tourists to visit Florida, Flagler bought and
expanded the Ormond
Hotel, located along the railroad's route north of
Daytona in Ormond
Beginning in 1892, when landowners south of Daytona petitioned him
to extend the railroad 80 miles south, Flagler began laying new
railroad tracks; no longer did he follow his traditional practice
of purchasing existing railroads and merging them into his growing
rail system. Flagler obtained a charter from the state of
Florida authorizing him to build a railroad along the Indian River to Miami, and as the
railroad progressed southward, cities such as New
Smyrna and Titusville began to develop along the tracks.
Flagler's railroad system reached what is today known as West Palm
Flagler constructed the Royal Poinciana Hotel
in Palm Beach
overlooking the Lake Worth Lagoon
built The Breakers
Hotel on the ocean side of Palm Beach, and Whitehall, his private 55-room, 60,000 square foot
(5,600 m²) winter home.
The development of these three
structures, coupled with railroad access to them, established Palm
Beach as a winter resort for the wealthy members of America's
. Palm Beach was to be
the terminus of the Flagler railroad, but during 1894 and 1895,
severe freezes hit all of Central
Florida, whereas the Miami area remained unaffected,
causing Flagler to rethink his original decision not to move the
railroad south of Palm Beach.
The fable that Julia Tuttle
, one of two main landowners in the
Miami area along with the Brickell family, sent orange blossom
to Flagler to prove to him
that Miami, unlike the rest of the state, was unaffected by the
is untrue. The fact is that Mrs. Tuttle
wired Mr. Flagler to advise him that "the region around the shores
of Biscayne Bay is untouched by the freezes." Mr. Flagler sent his
two now famous in Florida history lieutenants, James E. Ingraham
and Joseph R. Parrott
to investigate and they brought
boxes of truck (produce) and citrus back to Mr. Flagler, who then
wired Mrs. Tuttle, asking, "Madam, what is it that you propose?" To
convince Flagler to continue the railroad to Miami, both Julia
Tuttle and William Brickell
half of their holdings north and south of the Miami River to Mr.
Flagler. Mrs. Tuttle added fifty acres for shops and yards if Mr.
Flagler would extend his railroad to the shores of Biscayne Bay and
build one of his great hotels. An agreement was made, contracts
were signed, and the rest, as it is said, is history.On September
7, 1895, the name of Flagler's system was changed from the
Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River Railway
to the Florida East Coast Railway
and incorporated. On April 15, 1896 track reached Biscayne Bay, the site of present day downtown Miami.
the time, it was a small settlement of less than 50 inhabitants.
When the town incorporated, on July 28, 1896, its citizens wanted
to honor the man responsible for the city's development by naming
it Flagler. He declined the honor, persuading them to retain its
Miami. The area was actually previously known as
Dallas after the fort built there in the 1830s during the
Second Seminole War.
further develop the area surrounding the Miami railroad station,
Flagler dredged a channel, built streets and The Royal Palm Hotel
the first water and power systems, and financed the town's first
newspaper, the Metropolis
. Flagler was a great visionary
and he can be credited for the development of the entire east coast
of Florida. Yet he lacked vision on at least one issue: he felt
that Miami would never be more than a fishing village.
1905, Flagler started what everybody considered a folly: the
extension of the FEC to Key West which would later be known as The Oversea Railway,
at the time considered the eighth wonder of the world and surely
the most daring infrastructure ever built exclusively with
The first train arrived in Key West on
January 22, 1912.
A 1913 print advertisement extols the
many advantages of traveling on the Florida East Coast Railway, the
"New Route to the Panama Canal
Constructing the Florida East Coast Railway
The railroad south of West Palm Beach was constructed in phases by
the FEC and the predecessor systems. Flagler began his railroad
building in 1892. Under Florida’s generous land-grant laws passed
in 1893, 8,000 acres (32 km²) could be claimed from the state
for every mile (1.6 km) built. Flagler would eventually claim
a total in excess of two million acres (8,000 km²) for
building the FEC, and land development and trading would become one
of his most profitable endeavors.
Before it became the FEC, the Jacksonville, St. Augustine &
Indian River was constructing a line southwards from Daytona Beach
in 1894. Fort Pierce was reached on January 29, and West Palm Beach on
Further extension southwards did not begin until
June 1895, when a favorable deal was signed with Miami-area
business interests. Fort Lauderdale was reached on March 3 of the following
By April, the construction reached Biscayne Bay, the
largest and most accessible harbor on Florida’s east coast. Flagler
announced in 1905 that the FEC would be extended 128 miles to Key
West over the ocean. The Oversea Extension was completed in 1912, a
mere 16 months prior to Flagler’s death, at a cost of $50 million
and lives of hundreds of workmen.
Key West Extension: Eighth Wonder of the World
Never one to rest on his laurels, Flagler next sought perhaps his
greatest challenge: the extension of the Florida East Coast Railway
to Key West, a city of almost 20,000 inhabitants located 128 miles
beyond the end of the Florida peninsula
became particularly interested in linking Key West to the mainland
after the United States announced in 1905 the construction of the
Canal. Key West, the United States' closest
deep-water port to the canal, could not only
take advantage of Cuban and Latin America trade, but the opening of the
canal would allow significant trade possibilities with the
The construction of the Florida Overseas Railroad
many engineering innovations as well as vast amounts of labor and
monetary resources. At one time during construction, four thousand
men were employed. During the seven year construction, three
threatened to halt the
Despite the hardships, the final link of the Florida East Coast
Railway was completed in 1912. On January 22 of that year, a proud
Henry Flagler rode the first train into Key West, marking the
completion of the railroad's oversea connection to Key West and the
linkage by railway of the entire east coast of Florida.
FEC Through the Years
The Stock Market Crash of
and subsequent Great
were particularly harsh on the FEC. The railroad
declared bankruptcy and was in receivership by September 1931, just
18 years after Flagler’s death. Bus service began to be substituted
for trains on the branches in 1932, and the Key West Extension was
abandoned after the Labor
Day Hurricane of 1935
. However, streamliners terminating in
Miami nevertheless plied the rails between 1939 and 1963, including
such famous trains as The Champion and The Florida Special jointly
operated with the Atlantic Coast Line. Adding to the woes was the
, thus reducing a
significant portion of FEC's revenue.
In 1961, Edward Ball
controlled the Alfred I. duPont
, purchased a majority ownership of FEC,
allowing the FEC to emerge from bankruptcy. That same year, a labor
contract negotiation turned sour, leading to a prolonged work stoppage
by non-operating unions
beginning January 23, 1963, and whose picket lines
were honored by the
operating unions (the train crews).
Although freight trains
with non-Union and supervisory crews, passenger runs were not
reinstated until August 2, 1965, after the city of Miami sued and
it was ruled that their corporate charter required both coach and
first class service. For first class accommodation, FEC sold
"parlor car seating" in the rear lounge section of a
tavern-lounge-observation car. At the insistence of the city of
Miami and after the stoppage began, Miami’s wooden-constructed
downtown passenger terminal was demolished on November 12, 1963.
Thus, the passenger runs reinstated in 1965 only ran between
Jacksonville and North Miami, as they no longer had a station in
downtown Miami. With a single diesel
and two streamlined passenger cars,
it would continue six days a week until it was finally discontinued
on July 31, 1968. Because the strike was by the non-operating
unions, a Federal judge ordered the railroad to continue observing
their work rules, while the railroad was free to change the work
rules for the operating unions, who were technically not on strike
and thus had no standing in the Federal Court regarding the strike.
Thus this two car train included a Passenger Service Agent and a
Coach Attendant, who were "non-operating," in addition to the
operating crew, which operated all the way across three previously
observed crew districts (Jacksonville to New Smyrna Beach to Fort
Pierce to Miami). Following the letter of the law, the train
carried no baggage
, remains, mail or
express; honored no inter-line tickets or passes; and the only food
service was a box lunch (at Cocoa-Rockledge in 1966). On board
service was limited to soft drinks and coffee.
Ed Ball controlled the Florida East Coast Railway during the strike
of 1963 to 1977. He was determined to save the railroad from the
bankruptcy that had continued for more than a decade. Ball was
certain that if the company didn't become profitable, the equipment
and track would deteriorate to the point where some lines would
become unsafe or unusable and require partial abandonment. Ball
fought ferociously for the company's right to engage in its own
contract negotiations with the railroad unions rather than accept
an industry wide settlement that would traditionally contain
and wasteful work
rules. His use of replacement workers to keep the railroad running
during the strike led to violence by strikers that included
shootings and bombings. Eventually, Federal intervention helped
quell the violence, and the railroad's right to operate during the
strike with replacement workers was affirmed by the United
States Supreme Court.
As the strike continued, the Florida East
Coast took numerous steps to improve its physical plant, installed
various forms of automation, and drastically cut labor costs. Most
of the nation's other railroads did not match these achievements
for several years.
In 1913, Flagler fell down a flight of stairs at Whitehall. He
never recovered from the fall and died in West Palm Beach of his
injuries on May 20, 1913, at 83 years of age. He was buried in St.
Augustine alongside his daughter, Jenny Louise and first wife, Mary
Harkness. Only his son Harry survived of the three children by his
first marriage in 1853 to Mary Harkness. There is a monument
to him in Biscayne Bay, and Flagler College is named after him in St. Augustine.
Florida East Coast Railway was the product of Flagler's resources
and imagination. Flagler's construction of hotels at points along
the railroad and his development of the agricultural industry
through the Model Land Company established tourism and agriculture
as Florida's major industries.
Hundreds of workers on the Florida
East Coast Railway's Overseas Extension
were lost when a
hurricane swept the through the Keys and battered Miami on October
Nearly a century later, the effects of Henry Flagler's incredible
accomplishments can still clearly be seen throughout Florida.
Perhaps even more amazingly, as Florida is now well-known as a
retirement state of preference for many Americans, Flagler
accomplished these feats after retiring from his first career.
Flagler had already founded and developed the vast empire of
Standard Oil with partners John D. Rockefeller, Samuel Andrews
and Henry H. Rogers before
becoming interested in Florida. Linking the entire east coast of
Florida, a state that at the time was largely an uninhabited
frontier, demanded a great deal of foresight and
The Florida Overseas
, also known as the Key West Extension of the
Florida East Coast Railway
, was heavily damaged and partially
destroyed in the Labor Day
Hurricane of 1935
. The Florida East Coast Railway was
financially unable to rebuild the destroyed sections, so the
roadbed and remaining bridges were sold to the state of Florida,
which built the Overseas
Highway to Key West, using much of the remaining railway
A rebuilt Overseas Highway (U.S. Route 1
) following Flagler's dream,
continues to provide a highway link to Key West, ending at the
southernmost point in the continental United States.
FEC in modern times
The Florida East Coast Railway operates from its relocated
headquarters in Jacksonville after selling the original General
Office Building in St. Augustine to Flagler College in late 2006.
Its trains run over nearly the same route developed by Flagler (the
was built in 1925
to shorten the distance south of St. Augustine). Today, the company
only provides freight service — passenger service was discontinued
in 1968 after labor unrest that resulted in violence. However,
there has been some speculation that the southern end of the FEC
line may be used for a commuter rail
service to complement the existing Tri-Rail
line and that Amtrak may be allowed to use FEC lines for a more
direct route between Jacksonville and Miami.
The FEC operations today are dominated by "intermodal" trains and
unit rock (limestone) trains. The intermodal traffic includes
interline shipments off CSX and Norfork Southern, participation in
EMP container service operated by UP and Norfork Southern, UPS
piggback trailers, trailers going to the WalMart distribution
center at Ft. Pierce, and import containers through the ports of
Miami, Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)[the principal source of
imports], Port of Palm Beach/Lake Worth Inlet, and Port Canaveral
[minor, of no real consequence]. Additionally FEC offers "Hurricane
Service" offering trucking companies the opportunity of having
their trailers piggybacked out of Jacksonville to save the
expensive cost of back-hauling empty trailers. The rock trains come
out of the FEC yard at Medley, just west of Hialeah in the "Lake
Belt" area of Dade and Broward Counties principally for materials
dealers Titan and Rinker.
The FEC also hauls normal "manifest" freight to and from points
along its right of way. These cars are hauled on whatever train is
going that way, so intermodal and rock trains routinely have
manifest cars in their consists. Additionally, the FEC currently
transports Tropicana Products
" cars to and from the
company's processing facility just west of Fort Pierce, Florida on
the "K Line."
FEC freight trains operate on precise schedules. Trains are not
held for missed connections or late loadings. Most of the trains
are paired so that they leave simultaneously from their starting
points and meet halfway through the run and swap crews, so they are
back home at the end of their runs. The FEC pioneered operation
with 2 man crews with no crew districts, which they were able to
start doing after the 1963 strike.
Today the FEC is a "prime" railroad right-of-way. They have 133
pound-per-yard (66 kg/m) continuous-welded rail attached to
concrete ties, which sits on a high quality granite roadbed. The
entire railroad is controlled by centralized traffic control with
constant radio communication. Because the railroad has only minor
grades, it takes very little horsepower to pull very long trains at
The FEC completed its "second generation" dieselization with the
purchase of 49 GP40's and GP40-2's and 11 GP38-2's. These
locomotives have been extensively rebuilt. In 2002, the FEC
acquired 20 used ex-UP SD40-2's, which remained at the time in UP
colors with FEC markings. In 2006 they purchased four SD70M-2's.
The GP38-2's are used principally for yard and road switching. The
others are used as available in road service. Some test runs have
been made to observe the effect on fuel consumption of dynamic
braking and combinations of new and old power.
For 46 years the company was controlled by Edward Ball
, who headed the
Alfred I. duPont
set up under the will of his brother-in-law
Alfred I. du Pont
business interests. Ball's "Pork Chop Gang" was also a powerful
force in Florida state politics. Later, after 36 years with the
railroad Raymond Wyckoff took the helm on May 30, 1984. In March,
2005, Robert Anestis stepped down as CEO of Florida East Coast
Industries after a 4 year stint, allowing Adolfo Henriquez to
assume that position, with John McPherson, a long-time railroad
man, continuing as president of the railway itself.
In 2005, FEC owned and operated:
- 351 miles of mainline track between Jacksonville and Miami,
- 277 miles of branch, switching, and other secondary track
- 158 miles of yard track
Flagler Development owned and operated:
- 64 buildings
- 7.4 million rentable square feet
100-107 EMD SD70M-2
401-410 EMD GP40
402 reblt to #424; reportedly #403 to be painted orange, red &
411-14, 16-18, 20-22, 24-27, 29-38, 40 and 443 EMD GP40-2
423 reblt to #437
415, 419, 428, 439, 441 EMD GP40-3
444 - 449 EMD GP40-3 (Reblt GP40s; d/b equipped)
501-511 EMD GP38-2
701-720 EMD SD40-2 (Ex-Union Pacific; #717-719 acquired by Alabama
and Gulf Coast)
2000 EMD GP40 (Commemorative unit in orange, red and black)
Progress Rail 3576 & 3578 EMD SD40-2
Progress Rail 9917 EMD SD40-2
- 426 on cover of country musician Randy
Dukes, album Riding the Rails.
Awards and recognition
On May 16, 2006, FEC was the recipient of the Gold E. H. Harriman Award
for safety in Group C
(line-haul railroad companies with fewer than 4 million
employee hours per year).
Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River Railway
Company was incorporated under the general incorporation
laws of Florida to own and
operate a railroad from Jacksonville in Duval
county, through the counties of Duval, St. Johns, Putnam, Volusia, Brevard, Orange, Osceola, Dade, Polk and Hillsborough.
Florida state law
chapter 4260, approved May 31, 1893, granted
land to the railroad. At that time, it was already in operation
from Jacksonville to Rockledge, the part south of Daytona having been constructed
by them. The company had just filed a certificate
changing and extending its lines on and across the Florida Keys to Key West in Monroe County.
The name was changed to the Florida East Coast Railway
on September 7, 1895.
Florida East Coast Industries
in 1983 and was made the holding company for the Railway and the
Commercial Realty/Flagler Development Company in 1984. The other
subsidiaries are Orlando-based carrier, EPIK
and the logistics firm, International
FECI began operating independently of the St. Joe Company
on October 9, 2000 when St.
Joe shareholders were given FECI stock.
On May 8, 2007, Florida East Coast Railway Company's parent,
Florida East Coast Industries (FECI), announced that FECI would be
purchased with private equity funds managed by Fortress Investment Group
transaction valued at $3.5 billion.
acquired Florida East Coast
Railway from Florida East Coast Industries in March, 2008. All
three companies are owned by Fortress Investment.
Historical Brevard County Stations ( North to South )
- East Aurantia
- Jones Post Office or East Mims
- Titusville (Enterprise Branch begins)
- Indian River City
- City Point
- Rockledge Hotels (spur across Indian River)
- Horse Creek
- Eau Gallie
- Military Park (Station at the Kentucky Military
- Tillman (now Palm Bay)
Bypass around Miami
Kissimmee Valley Line and cutoff (K-Branch)
FEC Kissimmee Valley Extension Map
Stations (North to South)
- Tohopkee ( Mail service terminated 1927 )
- Illahaw ( Mail service terminated 1935 )
- Nittaw ( Mail service terminated 1935 )
Kenansville Branch (East)
Kenansville Branch (West)
- Pine Island
South of Holopaw, the line roughly parallels US 441
Palm Beach Branch
Lake Harbor Branch
Harbor Branch runs from Fort Pierce in St. Lucie County to Lake
Harbor in Palm Beach County.
The Enterprise Branch
was built in 1885 by the Atlantic
Coast, St. Johns and Indian River Railroad
and leased to the
Tampa and Key West Railroad
, part of the Plant System
. Initially, the westernmost five miles
served as a connection from Enterprise Junction to Enterprise, a port for steamboat
traffic down the St. Johns
River. Later, the line was built through Osteen, Kalamazoo, and Mims to Titusville.
The Enterprise Branch also crossed the
Kissimmee Valley Branch at a location known as Maytown.
steam locomotive pulled the first
train over the line onto the wharf on the
Indian River at Titusville on
the afternoon of December 30, 1885 and greatly accelerated the
transportation of passengers, produce, seafood, and supplies to and
FEC Railway crossing at Maytown,
While Titusville thrived thanks to this new
transportation connection, Enterprise lost stature as a steamboat
port, since Henry Plant's
paralleled the St. Johns River and greatly reduced
travel times to Jacksonville.
During the winter of 1894–95, a widespread freeze hit twice,
decimating the citrus crop and ruining that part of Florida's
economy. This allowed Henry Flagler
acquire the line at a discount to piece together what became the
Florida East Coast Railway.
The track of the E-branch has been uprooted as far as Aurantia
, about five miles northwest of
Mims, ending directly under the Interstate 95
overpass and has been
abandoned. The crossing gates and signals were removed before the
summer 2004 hurricanes
the track is being removed by a steel salvage company. As of 2008
the track has been completely removed up to the connection with the
current FEC mainline in Titusville.
Department of Environmental Protection
took ownership of the
rail bed on December 31, 2007. The corridor will become Florida's
longest rails-to-trails project.This rail line would have been
suited to recreational railroad use by such groups as the North American Rail
Car Owners' Association
assuming a representative who is local
to the area could have been located.
Atlantic and Western Branch
branch, from Blue Spring on the St.
Johns River via Orange City to the main line in New Smyrna Beach, was built by the Blue Spring,
Orange City and Atlantic Railroad.
In the mid-1880s it
became the Atlantic and Western Branch
Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River Railway, which changed
its name to the Florida East Coast Railway in 1895. It may have
been the Atlantic and Western
in between. The line was in use until 1930.
The railroad from Tocoi
to Tocoi Junction
, outside St.
Augustine, was built by the St. Johns
. The Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River
Railway took it over by 1894, and changed its name to the Florida
East Coast Railway in 1895. The line was abandoned by 1917; it was
later used for SR
, which became SR 214
at some time after the 1945 Florida State Road
, and is now CR
almost arrow-straight Moultrie Cutoff was built in
1925 to cut the distance on the main line, avoiding the swing
inland to East
Palatka. It runs from just north of Bunnell to Moultrie
Junction in St. Augustine.
In 2005 the entire route had
its mileposts redone to match the rest on the main line.
Flagler Beach Branch
railroad from Flagler Beach to Dorena, north
of Bunnell, was built by the Lehigh Portland Cement
Company in 1953.
The line connected to the Lehigh Portland Cement
located near Flagler Beach. The line was
abandoned in 1957, after a deadly strike erupted in that year that
closed the massive plant. The site of the old plant was where some of
the monorail beams were assembled for
World in the early 1970s.
Current plans are for
the route to become part of the rails to trails system. The plant
has been demolished outside of one smokestack that will become a
"lighthouse" for a new development.
San Mateo Branch
railroad from Palatka to Moultrie
Junction, outside St. Augustine, was built by the The
Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway.
The Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River Railway took it
over by 1894, and changed its name to the Florida East Coast
Railway in 1895. The line was the main route until the construction
of the Moultrie Cutoff in 1925. it was later abandoned in 1988 and
all rail was removed to a point just west of I-95
. In 2001 rail service resumed
up to this point and track was rehabilitated when new industries
were located there. A daily local serves the eastern end of the
line today known as the Wilber Wright Industrial Lead.
originally built by the Jacksonville and Atlantic
Railroad from Jacksonville to Pablo Beach (now Jacksonville
Beach). It was later extended north along the coast
to Mayport and taken over by the FEC.
- Florida East Coast Railway formed September
13, 1895 as a renaming of the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and
Indian River Railroad; still exists
- Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River
Railroad - formed October 6, 1892 as a renaming of the
FC&G; renamed the Florida East Coast Railway September 13, 1895
- Florida Coast and Gulf Railway - formed May
28, 1892; renamed the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Indian River
Railroad October 6, 1892
St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway - formed February 28,
1881 as a renaming of the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax
River Railroad; merged with the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and
Indian River Railroad October 31, 1892
- Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River
Railroad - formed March 1879; renamed the Jacksonville,
St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway February 28, 1881
- St. Augustine and Palatka Railway - formed
September 1, 1885; merged with the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and
Indian River Railroad 1893
In 1890, the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railway
(the line north of St. Augustine) changed from narrow gauge
to standard gauge
- Noted by the author as the official history of the
- Florida Trend: September 1, 2008-Florida Companies With
Promise by Amy Keller
- Florida Times-Union: February 21, 1999-A powerful
man craved little but gave a lot by Raymond Mason
- BusinessWeek magazine: Company Profiles-Florida
East Coast Industries, Inc.
- Barton, Susanna:  Jacksonville Business Journal, December 5,
2000 - Peyton joins FECI board
- Basch, Mark:  Florida Times-Union, July 21, 2008 - FEC
rolling along after buyout
- Topic Galleries - OrlandoSentinel.com
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection:
January 3, 2008-State Takes Ownership of Longest Rail-Trail in