Forlimpopoli is a town and
comune in the Province of Forlì-Cesena,
located on the Via Emilia between
Cesena and Forlì.
Basilica of San Rufillo.
The name of Forlimpopoli derives from the Roman Forum Popili
, most likey
connected to the consul Publius
, who would found it in 132
. Its ares has been however inhabited since Palaeolithic
times, as proved by recent
archaeological discoveries. Later it was settled by the Umbri
and the Gauls
. In the 1st century BC
become a municipium
, and flourished to its vicinity
to the important port of Classis
it provided amphorae
for wine transport),
having also a strong agricultural production.
It started to decay from the 3rd century AD, and, as in the High
Middle Age the area became marshy, its agricultural output crumbled
down. In this period it was part of the Byzantine Exarchate of Ravenna
and had its first
Catholic bishop in the 5th century; over his sepulchre, outside the
town, a Benedictine monastery was founded. In the 7th century
Forlimpopoli was ravaged by the Lombard
king Grimoald; in the
following century it fell under Papal rule.
Later the city started to grow again with the foundation of another
burgh, the Civitas Nova
, and with the communal
13th century it became a fief of the Ordelaffi family from Forlì.
Their expansion was momentarily halted by the Papal reconquest by
Cardinal Gil de Albornoz
1361, ordered the destruction of Forlimpopoli due to its loyalty to
the Ordelaffi. A chronicles of ten years later states that
the town was no more in existence, the bishopric having been moved
to Bertinoro, and the cathedral having been replaced by a
fortress, the current Rocca.
A few years later
, now in
peaceful terms with the Popes, had the town rebuilt with the
construction of a line of walls. In the 15th and 16th centuries it
was a possession of several families, such as the Riario and
. In 1535 it was given
back to the Papal States, who assigned it in turn as a fief to the
Zampeschi family, followed by the Savelli
and the Cardinal Capponi. A direct Papal authority was restored
after the Napoleonic Wars
Castle of Forlimpopoli.
An imposing and very well conserved castle from the 16th century
lies in the centre of the town. It is housing the local government,
the archeological museum, a theatre and the music school.
Outside the town is the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie
, one of the most notable circular plan churches in
Italy (late 15th century). It houses two works by Agostino di Duccio
. The basilica of
was built in the 6th century but it is now a
more recent reconstruction; it houses two canvasses by Luca Longhi
and Francesco Menzocchi
, and the tomb of
Brunoro II Zempeschi
, lord of
The church of the Servi
(mid-15th century) has a painting
by Marco Palmezzano
The "Scuola di Musica Popolare di Forlimpopoli" was founded by the
commune of Forlimpopoli and is now carried by an association of
teachers and students. The main focus of teaching is the
traditional folk music of the region. The music school has a
supra-regional importance. In cooperation with the academy Burg
Fürsteneck in Germany and the Eric Sahlström Institutet in
Sweden it developed the "European Nyckelharpa Training".