Fort-Mahon-Plage is a
commune in the Somme department in Picardy in northern France.
commune is situated on the coast of the English Channel and endowed with a sandy beach and massive sand
dunes, Fort-Mahon-Plage attracts many tourists, especially during
the summer and at the weekends.
Thanks to investment and the
fact the town meets many environmental criteria, the town is
officially classified (since 2006), as a “station balnéaire”.
|Starting in 1962: Population
Fort-Mahon-Plage is not a very old town. It seems certain that it
did not exist before the 18th century, except, of course, the
superb sand dunes and the sea. Then considered rather cold and
wild, this part of the coast would have welcomed only fishermen and
gatherers.Indeed, the first town
was raised there only a little more than two centuries ago, with a
few small shepherds’ huts in 1790. Fort-Mahon-Plage was not
considered a commune at all until 1923, when it was officially
identified as a separate village from its neighbour Quend-Plage-Les-Pins
. Urbanization was
steady, notably in the 1950s, with the immense beach of fine sand,
in contrast to many of the pebble beaches of Normandy, doing a lot
to attract tourists, as well as a soft and pleasant sea during the
summer.The huge beach later became famous for its water activities,
most notably landyacht
racing , wind-surfing
.The town also invested heavily in its
infrastructure, most notably the very long principal promenade, the
"Avenue de la plage" (Beach Avenue), of a quality design and layout
that reinforces the attractiveness of the town.