The Full Wiki

Framingham, Massachusetts: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Framingham is a town in Middlesex Countymarker, Massachusettsmarker, United Statesmarker. The population was 66,910 at the 2000 census.

Framingham, sited on the ancient trail known as the Old Connecticut Path, was first settled when John Stone settled on the west bank of the Sudbury River in 1647. In 1660, Judge Thomas Danforth, of the Salem Witch Trials fame, an official of the Bay Colony, formerly of Framlinghammarker, Suffolk, England received a grant of land at "Danforth's Farms" and began to accumulate over . He strenuously resisted petitions for incorporation of the town, which was officially incorporated in 1700, following his death the previous year. Why the "L" was dropped for the new town's name is not known. The first church was organized in 1701, the first teacher was hired in 1706, and the first permanent schoolhouse in 1716.


Framingham, sited on the ancient trail known as the Old Connecticut Path, was first settled when John Stone settled on the west bank of the Sudbury River in 1647. In 1660, Thomas Danforth, an official of the Bay Colony, formerly of Framlingham, Suffolkmarker, received a grant of land at "Danforth's Farms" and began to accumulate over . He strenuously resisted petitions for incorporation of the town, which was officially incorporated in 1700, following his death the previous year. Why the "L" was dropped for the new town's name is not known. The first church was organized in 1701, the first teacher was hired in 1706, and the first permanent schoolhouse in 1716.

On February 22, 1775, the British general Thomas Gage sent two officers and an enlisted man out of Boston to survey the route to Worcestermarker. In Framingham those spies stopped at Buckminster's Tavern. They watched the town militia muster outside the building, impressed with the men's numbers but not their discipline. Though "the whole company" came into the tavern after their drill, the officers managed to remain undetected and continued on their mission the next day. Gage did not order a march along that route, instead ordering troops to Concordmarker on April 18-19. Framingham sent two militia companies totaling about 130 men into the Battles of Lexington and Concordmarker that followed; one of those men was wounded.

In the years prior to the Civil War, Framingham was an annual gathering-spot for members of the Abolitionist movement. Every Independence Day from 1854 to 1865, the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society held a rally in a picnic area called Harmony Grove near what is now downtown Framingham. At the 1854 rally, William Lloyd Garrison burned copies of the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850, judicial decisions enforcing it, and the United States Constitution. Other prominent Abolitionists present that day included William C. Nell, Sojourner Truth, Wendell Phillips, Lucy Stone, and Henry David Thoreau.

During the Post-World War II baby boom, Framingham, like many other suburban areas, experienced a large increase in population and housing. Much of the housing constructed during that time consisted of split-level and ranch-style houses.

Framingham is known for the Framingham Heart Study, as well as for the Dennison Manufacturing Company, which was founded in 1844 as a jewelry and watch box manufacturing company by Aaron Lufkin Dennison, who became the pioneer of the American System of Watch Manufacturing at the nearby Waltham Watch Company. His brother, Eliphalet Whorf Dennison, developed the company into a sizable industrial complex, which merged in 1990 into Avery Dennison, with headquarters in Pasadena, Californiamarker, and active corporate offices in the town.

In the year 2000, Framingham celebrated its Tercentennial.


The first syllable of the name is pronounced with a long a; that is, the name of the town is pronounced exactly like the two words "framing" and "ham."


Framingham is located at (42.299795, -71.426627).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 26.4 mi² (68.5 km²). 25.1 mi² (65.1 km²) of it is land and 1.3 mi² (3.4 km²) of it (4.99%) is water.

Framingham is located in eastern Massachusetts, west of Bostonmarker, mid-way between Boston and Worcestermarker. It is bordered by Southboroughmarker and Marlboroughmarker on the west; Sherbornmarker and Ashlandmarker on the south; Natickmarker on the east; Waylandmarker on the northeast; and Sudburymarker on the north. Framingham is from New York Citymarker.

The town of Framingham is divided by Route 9, which passes east-to-west through the middle of the town. South Framingham includes Downtown Framingham (the town government seat), and the villages of Coburnville, Lokerville and Salem End Road. North Framingham includes the villages of Nobscot, Pinefield, Ridgefield and Saxonville plus Framingham Center (the physical center of town, featuring the town commons).


As of the census of 2000, there were 66,910 people, 26,153 households, and 16,573 families residing in the town. The population density was 2,663.6 people per square mile (1,028.4/km²). There were 26,734 housing units at an average density of 1,064.3/sq mi (410.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 79.77% White, 5.09% Black, 0.17% Native American, 5.27% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 6.27% from other races, and 3.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.86% of the population.

There were 26,153 households out of which 29.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.0% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.6% were non-families. 28.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.02.

In the town the population was spread out with 21.4% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 34.5% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.6 males.

The median income for a household in the town was $54,288, and the median income for a family was $67,420. Males had a median income of $46,122 versus $35,941 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,758. About 8.0% of families and 16.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.4% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.

Brazilianmarker immigrants have a major presence in Framingham. Since the '80s, a large segment of the Brazilian population has come from the single city of Governador Valadaresmarker.


Framingham is one of the few towns in Massachusetts that has met its legal requirement of 10% for Massachusetts Chapter 40B Affordable housing which mostly targets people with income levels in the 70% of median income. In addition to its 40B Affordable component, Framingham has a large percentage of rental units which target people in the 30% of median income bracket. Framingham has a much larger percentage of rental households than any of the surrounding towns. Statewide, the median income of rental households is 47% of the median for homeowners, and in Middlesex County it is slightly more than 50%. In Framingham, the median renter income of $33,626 is 45% of the median homeowner income of $75,040.

Housing in South Framingham is mainly single family houses on small lots (under half an acre), multi-family homes or apartments. Additionally much of the town's affordable housing is located south of Route 9. However there a large number of large, single family homes around Salem End Road on the West Side of South Framingham. This region is often overlooked as being in South Framingham because the area is physically separated from most of the South Side due to a series of reservoirs and the Sudbury River. Also, there are many large Victorian houses located along the shores of Learned and Gleason Ponds, and along Concord St. and Union Ave. near Downtown Framingham. Additionally, the West Side of South Framingham along Route 9 has several large tracts of multi story apartment buildings that comprise a major part of the town's apartment stock.

North Framingham was originally mostly farmland and gave way to large tracts of single family housing on large lots (over half an acre) after World War II. The village of Saxonville on the east side is an old mill area that consists of many Victorian homes, and is undergoing a large expansion of over six hundred new homes on a former gravel pit. The village of Nobscot on the western side has many homes that are valued above mean housing prices for the region. While there are several small apartment complexes on the North Side, most have been converted to condominiums. In the 1950s and 1960s, the villages of Nobscot, Pinefield and Saxonville all had a large number of slab and raised ranch-style houses constructed by the Campanelli Company. These homes are classic cookie-cutter style homes that feature the same general shape and floor plan; while there are six or seven styles of the houses, the large majority of which are referred to Campanelli "L" ranches because their floor plan resembles the letter "L". At the time of construction, these homes were considered by many to be the epitome of the American dream of homeownership; today they are viewed as more modest homes.

Today, most of Framingham has been developed with the exception of some parcels in the northwest quadrant. In this part of town there are more people with wells and septic systems, combined with a large amount of ledge, which prevents most of the unbuilt land from being developed.


Framingham's government is similar to the structure of other New England town governments, and is based on the same "three legged stool" as the Federal government which has the executive (president), legislative (congress) and judicial (supreme court) branches. In Framingham a Strong Town Manager governs the town as executive, with a representative Town Meeting serving as the legislative branch. The five member Board of Selectmen is officially the judicial branch, but in fact is responsible for policy decisions that have no impact on the town that exceed the three years of their elected office.


Framingham has thirteen public schools which are part of the Framingham Public School District. The school district's main offices are located in the Jonathan Maynard Building on Vernon St. in Framingham Center with additional offices at the King School on Water St. in North Framingham. The town also has a regional vocational high school and one regional charter school. Framingham is also home to several private schools, three parochial schools, one Jewish day school, three colleges, One Sudbury School, and several specialty schools.

Over the past few years Framingham has been upgrading its schools, it has replaced the former Cameron school with a completely new school and performed major renovations to Wilson, McCarthy and the high school. Two public school buildings that have been mothballed due to financial issues or population drops have been leased to the Metrowest Jewish Day School (at the former Juniper Hill Elementary) and Mass Bay Community College (at the former Farley Middle school). Several schools that were no longer being used were sold off, including Lincoln, Roosevelt and Washington.

The Framingham School Department can trace its roots back to 1706 when the town hired its first school master, Deacon Joshua Hemenway. While Framingham had its first school master, it not get its own public school building until 1716. The first high school, the Framingham Academy, opened its doors in 1792; however this school was eventually closed due financing issues and the legality of the town providing funds for a private school. The first town operated high school opened in 1852 and has been in operation continuously in numerous location throughout the town.


Framingham is located approximately halfway between Worcester, the commercial center of Central Massachusetts, and Boston, New England's leading port and metropolitan area. Rail and highway facilities connect these major centers and other communities in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area.

Major highways

Framingham is served by one Interstate and four state highways:

Route number Type Local name Direction
Interstate 90 Interstate, limited access toll road The Massachusetts Turnpike east/west
Route 9 State route, divided highway Worcester Rd.

The Boston/Worcester Turnpike, Ted Williams Highway
Route 30 State route, partial divided highway Cochituate Rd., Worcester Rd. and Pleasant St. east/west
Route 126 State route, primary road Old Connecticut Path, School St, Concord St. and Hollis St. north/south
Route 135 State route, primary road Waverly St. east/west



  • Direct rail service to Boston and Chicago via Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited, as well as to all other points on the Amtrak network via a connection in another city.
  • MBTA commuter rail service is available to South Station and Back Bay Station, Boston, via the MBTA Framingham-Worcester Commuter Rail Line which connects South Stationmarker in Boston and Union Stationmarker in Worcester. Travel time to Back Bay Station is 42–45 minutes. It was formerly called the Framingham Commuter Rail Line, as Framingham was the end of the line until rail traffic was expanded to Worcester in 1996. The line also serves the communities of Newtonmarker, Wellesleymarker, Natick, Ashland, Southborough, Westboroughmarker and Graftonmarker.
  • CSX provides freight rail service and operates an auto transloading facility in Framingham.


  • MassPort operates the Logan Express bus service bus service seven days per week providing direct connect service Logan Airportmarker. The bus terminal and paid parking facility are located on the Shoppers' World Mall property, off the Massachusetts Turnpike Exit 13, between Route 9 and Route 30, at the intersections of East Road and the Burr Street connector.
  • Peter Pan Bus Lines provides service to Worcester, New York and Boston.
  • Big W Transportation provides service to Milford and Hopkinton.
  • The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), provides THE RIDE, a paratransit service for the elderly and disabled.
  • The MetroWest Regional Transit Authority operates a regional bus service which provides service to other local routes connecting the various regions of town and fixed route public bus lines servicing multiple communities in the MetroWest region, including the towns of Ashland, Hollistonmarker, Hopkintonmarker, Milfordmarker, Marlborough, Sudbury, Sherborn, Natick and Westonmarker.

Commuter services

Park and ride services:
  • MassDOT operates a free park and ride facility at the parking lot at the intersection of Flutie Pass and East Road on the south side of Shoppers' World Mall.
  • MassDOT also operates a free park and ride facility at a parking lot adjacent to exit 12 of the Massachusetts Turnpike, across from California Avenue on the west side of Framingham.

Private services

Framingham has two taxi companies, Tommy's Taxi and Town Taxi, and several limousine companies that service the area.


Framingham's economy is predominantly derived from retail and office complexes. There are scatterings of small manufacturing facilities and commercial services such plumbing, mechanical and electrical expected to be found in communities of its size. Framingham has three major business districts within the town, The "Golden Triangle," Downtown/South Framingham and West Framingham. Additionally, there are several smaller business hubs in the villages of Framingham Center, Saxonville, Nobscot and along the Route 9 corridor.

Golden Triangle

The Golden Triangle was originally a three square mile district on the eastern side of Framingham, bordered by Worcester Rd. (Route 9), Cochituate Rd. (Route 30), and Speen Street in Natickmarker. In 1993, the area began to expand beyond the borders of the triangle with construction of a BJ's Wholesale Club and a Super Stop & Shop just north of Route 30. It now includes the original area plus parts of Old Connecticut Path., Concord St. (Route 126), and Speen St. north of Route 30. Because of the size and complexity of this area, Framingham and Natick cooperatively operate it as a single distinct district with similar zoning. The area is one of the largest shopping districts in New Englandmarker.

The area was formed with the construction of Shoppers World in 1951. Shoppers' World was a large open air shopping mall, the second in the US and the first east of the Mississippi River. The mall drew many other retail construction projects to the area, including Marshalls (1961, rebuilt as Bed, Bath and Beyond 1997), Caldor (1966, Rebuilt as Wal-Martmarker in 2002), Bradlees (1960s, rebuilt as Kohl's in 2002), the Route 30 Mall (1970), an AMC Framingham 15, the Framingham Mall (1978, rebuilt 2000) and Lowes (formerly the Verizon Building, 2006). Complementary developments in Natick include the Natick Mallmarker (1966, rebuilt in 1991, expanded 2007 & renamed Natick Collection), Sherwood Plaza (1960), Cloverleaf Marketplace (1978) and the Home Depot. In 1994, Shoppers' World was demolished and replaced with a strip mall name Shoppers World. There are also seven hotels and two car dealerships located within the Triangle.

In addition to retail properties, there are large office developments located in the area including several companies headquartered in the triangle; the world headquarters of TJX is located at the junction of Route 30 and Speen St, as is the main office of IDG and IDC. Breyers, Leggat McCall, the American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society all have facilities in the area. Boston Scientific headquarters is housed in Natick, in the old Carling Brewery building and former Prime parkway complex. BJ's Wholesale Club's headquarters is located behind Sherwood Plaza on Route 9, on the south side of the triangle. In all there are over a dozen large office complexes located in, and along, the borders of the Triangle.

Downtown and South Framingham

The Memorial Building, Framingham's town hall
Framingham Public Library, Lexington St.

The downtown area is located between the "Y"-shaped traffic circle formed by the intersection of Concord St. and Union Ave., called Memorial Square, to the north and its mirror intersection at the junction of Irving St. and Hollis St. on the south end. The area is bisected by Waverly St. (Route 135) and the MBTA Commuter Rail tracks. The anchoring structure of Downtown is the town hall, The Memorial Building.

South Framingham became the commercial center of the town with the advent of the railroad in the 1880s. It eventually came to house Dennison Manufacturing and the former General Motors Framingham Assemblymarker plant, but the area under went a financial downturn after the closure of these facilities during the late 1980s. An influx of Hispanic and Brazilianmarker immigrants helped to revitalize the district starting in the early 2000s. Along with Brazilian and Spanish oriented retail shops, there are restaurants, legal and financial services, the town offices and library, an art museum, police headquarters, and the local branch of the Social Security Administration. Several Asian and Indian stores and restaurants add to the rich ethnic flavor of the area, and many small businesses, restaurants and automotive-oriented shops line Waverly St. from Natick in east to Winter St. in the west.

In 2006, the Fitts Market & Hemenway buildings façades underwent a restoration project; these newly renovated structures were awarded a 2006 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award in the Restoration and Rehabilitation Category. In addition, several retail and housing projects involving the Arcade Building and the former Dennison Building Complex are in the planning stages or under construction.

West Framingham

The business section on the West Side of Framingham runs primarily along Route 9, starting at Temple St.; it is dominated by two large office/industrial parks: the Framingham Industrial Park on the north side of Route 9 and the Framingham Technology Park on the south side, both on the Ashland/Southborough border. Bose and Staples Inc both have their world headquarters in these parks; in addition, Genzyme, Capital One, Computer Associates, ITT Tech and the local paper, the Metrowest Daily News, all have major facilities located there. Two of Framingham's seven major auto dealerships are also located in West Framingham: Ford and Toyota/Scion.

The large tracts of multi-story apartment and condominium complexes line both sides of Route 9 from Temple St. to the industrial parks. These buildings represent the majority of Framingham's multi-family dwellings, and along with the business complexes, helped create a large network of support services on the West Side: Framingham's second Super Stop & Shop supermarket, dozens of restaurants and pubs, Sheraton and Residence Inn by Marriott hotels and a large day-care facility all are in the two-mile (3 km) section of Route 9 from Temple St. to Ashlandmarker.

Villages and Route 9

The Common in Framingham Center

Framingham Center is the physical and historic center of town. Formed at the junctions of Worcester Rd. , Pleasant St. (Route 30), High St., Main St. and Edgell Rd. the dominating presence is Framingham State Collegemarker. The school is home to several thousand students, about one third of whom live on campus. In the late 1960s, MassHighway replaced the intersection with an overpass, depressing Route 9 below the local roads, and destroying the south half of the old Center retail district. The remaining half houses several small stores, restaurants, realtors and legal offices. The old Boston and Worcester Street Railway depot, on the east side of the Center, was converted in to a strip mall in the early 1980s and houses the Center Postal Station (01703) and several small stores. The Center is rounded out by One and Two Edgell Rd. (two small retail/office buildings), the historic Village Hall, the Jonathan Maynard Building (a former school converted to an office building which now houses most of the school district's administration), the Framingham History Center (formerly the Framingham Historical Society and Museum), several banks, a Chinese restaurant, the American Medical Response paramedic station and McCarthy Office Building.

The village of Nobscot, located at the intersection of Water St., Edmands Rd. and Edgell Rd., and the Pinefield/Saxonville villages, located where Concord St., Water St., and Central St. intersect, are home to several small office buildings, strip malls and gas stations. Saxonville is the home of the former Roxbury Carpet Company buildings, now an industrial park.

In addition, the section of Route 9 from the Route 126 overpass to the Main St./Edgell Rd. beetleback in Framingham Center is heavily developed. Three car dealerships, Acura, Chevrolet and Nissan, several strip malls of varying sizes, many small apartment complexes, several small office complexes and other small shops and restaurants make Route 9 the main commercial thoroughfare in Framingham.

Finally, there are several other small retail areas and facilities spread through out the town, e.g. near Mt Wayte Ave. and Franklin St.; the intersection of Concord St. and Hartford St.; and along School St., near Hamilton St.


  • Hospitals: MetroWest Medical Center (formerly Framingham Union Hospital, also includes Leonard Morse Hospital campus in Natickmarker)
  • Long term care facilities:
  • Nursing homes:
  • Hospice care:


Newspapers and websites

The Town of Framingham is served by:

Television and cable

Framingham has a public access and local origination television station called The Framingham Channel, which airs on Channel 9 (Comcast), Channel 3 (RCN) and Channel 39 (Verizon). Residents can create and produce their own television programs that reflect the personality of the community, and have them cablecast on community access channels.

Framingham High School has a student-run television station, FHS-TV, that broadcasts locally; "Flyer News", its morning news program, has won 11 National High School Emmy Awards.


  • WKOX (AM 1200) is an AM broadcasting station featuring Rumba style music in a Spanish tropical format. Owned by Clear Channel Communications and licensed to Newton, MAmarker with studios on 99 Revere Beach Parkway in Medford, MAmarker;
  • WSROmarker (AM 650) is an AM broadcasting station featuring Portuguese-language programming that leases studio and tower space from WKOX. Owned by the Langer Broadcasting Group, LLC and licensed to Natick, MA with studios on 100 Mount Wayte Ave in Framingham;
  • WBIXmarker (AM 1060) is an AM broadcasting station featuring business talk radio station that leases studio and tower space from WKOX. Owned by the Langer Broadcasting Group, LLC and licensed to Ashland, MA with studios on 100 Mount Wayte Ave in Framingham;
  • WDJM-FMmarker (91.3 FM) is Framingham State College's FM broadcasting station that features an open format with progressive rock, hip-hop and rap. It is owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and is licensed to Framingham, MA with studios at 100 State St. in Framingham;
  • Framingham Amateur Radio Association is the local amateur radio enthusiasts group.


  • Telephone poles - The majority of telephone poles serving Framingham are owned by either NStar or Verizon.
  • Electrical distribution - Framingham is served by NStar for electricity distribution, customers are free to purchase electricity from individual suppliers.
  • Telephone, CATV and data services - The majority of Framingham is served by three vendors that provide telephone, cable TV and internet services. Other smaller or specialized companies provide DSL, ISDN, POTS and CTI services.
  • Natural gas - Framingham is served by National Grid's Keyspan division and NStar for piped in natural gas.
  • Water and sewer - Framingham is part of the MWRA and the town owns its water and sewer mains. The northwest corner of town, west of Edgell Rd and north of Rte 30, primarily relies on wells and septic systems for private residences.

Points of interest

Framingham features dozens of athletic fields and civic facilities spread throughout the town in schools and public parks. Many of the recreational facilities were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the New Deal.


  • Amazing Things Arts Center
  • Framingham Community Theater
  • Framingham History Center (formerly the Framingham Historical Society and Museum)
  • The Danforth Museum
  • Performing Arts Center of Metrowest


  • Bowditch Field located on Union Avenue midway between Downtown and Framingham Center is the main athletic facility for the town. It houses a large multi-purpose football stadium that includes permanent bleachers on both sides of the field. Additionally there is a baseball field, tennis courts, a track and field practice area, and the headquarters of the town Parks Department. Bowditch, along with Butterworth and Winch Parks, were all built during the Great Depression of the 1930s as WPA projects.
  • Butterworth Park is located at the corner of Grant St and Arthur St. The park occupies a square block near downtown. The park has includes a baseball stadium that includes permanent bleachers on one side of the field, a basketball court and a tennis court. There is street parking available on three sides.
  • Winch Park is the sister park to Butterworth and is located in Saxonville adjacent to the Framingham High School. It includes a baseball stadium that includes permanent bleachers on one side of the field, a basketball court, tennis courts and two large practice fields used for football, soccer and lacrosse. There are two additional multi-use fields located on the other side of the high school's gymnasium building.
  • Callahan State Parkmarker is a large state park run by the DCR located in North Framingham in the northwest corner of town.
  • Cochituate State Park on Lake Cochituate has a small section in Framingham where Saxonville Beach is located on the north western shore of the lake.
  • Danforth Park located on Danforth Street, not far from the Waylandmarker town line. The small park has playground with a half basketball court and a small baseball/kickball field.
  • Framingham Common is located in Framingham Center in front of the old Town Hall along Edgell Rd and Vernon St. It features the town Christmas Tree and an outdoor stage used for concerts and other fair weather events. It is a favorite of the students of Framingham State College, and the site of their annual graduation ceremonies.
  • Cushing Park on the South Side is a passive recreational area. The Framingham Peace and 9/11 Memorials are located within the park across the street from Farm Pond, along with the Cushing Chapel. After WWII ended, this land used to be the Cushing Veterans Hospital.

Conservation land

  • Framingham has about of land that has been placed into public conservation.
    • The Wittenborg Woods was donated to the town in 1999 by Harriet Wittenborg. The properties were originally purchased from Henry Ford in the 1940s. Henry Ford owned all of the land around the Wayside Inn in nearby Sudbury, and Harriet (and her husband) were required to interview with Mr. Ford to determine if they would be good stewards of the land.
    • The Morency Woods is a parcel of land that is physically located in Natick, MA on the Framingham border, but which is owned by the town of Framingham. This forested land was used as a sewer bed up until the mid 1940s and was placed into conservation in 2001.
  • The Sudbury Valley Trustees has approximately of land in North Framingham and along the Sudbury River in a private conservation trust.


  • Garden in the Woodsmarker, operated by the New England Wildflower Society, is a botanical garden that features the largest landscaped collection of native wildflowers in New Englandmarker. It is located in Nobscot, off of Hemenway Road.
  • Framingham Country Club, located along Salem End Road on the South Side, is a private club that features an 18-hole course with of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72.
  • Millwood Farms Golf Course off Millwood Street is a public 14-hole, par 53 golf course. Originally a 9-hole course, it was expanded to 14 holes in the late 1970s. Attempts to purchase land for a full 18-hole were unsuccessful.
  • Nobscot Mountain Reservation is a private facility owned by the Knox Trail Council of the Boy Scouts of America and is open to the public during most of the year.
  • The town has several public beaches including Saxonville beach on Lake Cochituate, Washakum Beach on Lake Washakum, and the beach at Learned Pond.
  • The former Cushing hospital grounds serve as walking, biking, rollerblading and picnic areas.
  • Farm Pond, located in South Framingham, once used to host Fourth of July Fireworks, now serves as a picnic area.
  • Edward F. Loring Skating Arena, located near Farm Pond at the corner of Fountain and Dudley Roads, is a municipal skating arena for area groups on a rental basis and public skating and stick time is available September through April.

Places of worship

Notable natives and residents

Christa McAuliffe, the planned first teacher in space, grew up in the town of Framingham.



Arts and sciences



Sister cities

See also


  1. General Gage's Instructions, Boston: John Gill, 1779.
  2. Samuel Adams Drake, History of Middlesex County, Massachusetts (Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1880), vol. 1, p. 443
  3. Donald Yacovone, "A Covenant with Death and an Agreement with Hell," at
  4. Historic time line of Framingham on
  5. Department of Housing and Community Development
  6. Crispus Attucks from Africans in America; Crispus Attucks- The Real Story
  7. FLAME

Further reading

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address