The Full Wiki

More info on Franklin Castle

Franklin Castle: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Franklin Castle (also known as the Hannes Tiedemann House) is a historical house on Clevelandmarker's west side located at 4308 Franklin Boulevard. The building has four stories and more than twenty rooms. It is purported to be the most haunted house in Ohiomarker.

On March 15, 1982, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Early history

The house was built in 1865 by architects Cudell & Richardson for Hannes Tiedemann, a Germanmarker immigrant. On January 16, 1881, Tiedemann's fifteen-year-old daughter Emma succumbed to diabetes. The house saw its second death not long afterwards when Tiedemann's elderly mother, Wiebeka, died. During the next three years the Tiedemanns would bury three more children, giving rise to speculation that there was more to the deaths than met the eye.

To distract his wife, Luise, from these tragedies, Tiedemann began extensive construction on the home, adding a ballroom which runs the length of the house in the fourth floor of the manor. Also during this building, turrets and gargoyles were added to the edifice's facade, giving the house an even more pronounced "castle" appearance.

It is rumored that there were hidden rooms and passageways that were used for bootlegging during Prohibition. Though rumored, none of these rooms or passageways exist other than a small stairway used by servants from the kitchen to the front door.

Luise Tiedemann died from a liver disease on March 24, 1895, at the age of fifty-seven. Hannes sold the house to the Mullhauser family, and by 1908 he and the entire Tiedemann family were dead, leaving no one to inherit his considerable personal wealth.

Rumors of crimes committed in the house by Tiedemann (including sexual indiscretions and murder) have contributed to Franklin Castle's reputation as a haunted house.

Middle years

The house remained largely unoccupied until January 1968, when James Romano, his wife, and six children settled in the long abandoned building. The Romano family reported several encounters with ghosts in their new home, and attempted exorcisms and even had a now defunct ghost-hunting group (the Northeast Ohio Psychical Research Society) investigate the castle. By 1974, the Romanos decided to leave the house, and sold it to Sam Muscatello, who planned to turn the castle into a church. To raise money for the church, tours and overnight stays at the castle were offered.

In early 1984, Michael DeVinko purchased Franklin Castle and almost immediately making major renovations to the house. Over the next ten years, DeVinko spent close to one million dollars renovating the Castle, even going so far as to track down some of the original furnishings for the Castle. Despite all this, DeVinko still decided to move out and put the house up for sale in 1994.

Recent history

Ownership of the castle has changed frequently in the past thirty years. In 1999 a vagrant set a fire which badly damaged the castle.

References

  1. HouseFront


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message