The Full Wiki

Fredericia: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Fredericia is a town located in Fredericia municipality in the eastern part of the Jutland peninsula in Denmarkmarker, in a sub-region known locally as Trekanten, or The Triangle. It was founded in 1650 by Frederick III, after whom it was named. Fredericia was almost selected as the Danish capital, due to its central location and large port; but in the end Copenhagenmarker retained the title due to its massive population.

The city itself has a population of 39,484 (1st January 2009) and the Fredericia municipality has a population of 49,690 (2009).

History

After the devastation caused by the Thirty Years' War in a largely unfortified Jutland, King Christian IV realized the necessity of building a strong fortress in Jutland, and decided that this project could be combined with his plans for building a large town in Jutland.

A fortified encampment was built on a point of land called Lyngs Odde, near the current location of Fredericia, with a rampart stretching to either side of the point, thus protecting the encampment from attacks. However, the fortifications were not perfect, and when Swedish Field Marshal Lennart Torstenson invaded Jutland, he was able to break through the ramparts. It was Frederick III who was finally able to complete the plans for the fortification, also adding a flank fortification on nearby Bers Odde as suggested by Danish Imperial Marshal Anders Bille.

On December 15, 1650 the King signed the document giving the town its first privileges, and work on the new fortifications could begin. In 1651, the town was named Frederiksodde (Frederick's Point) after the king, and on April 22, 1664, it was given the newly Latinized name of Fredericia.

Every July 6 the town of Fredericia holds a festival to commemorate the 1849 Battle of Fredericia, fought during the First War of Schleswig, in which Danish troops won a victory over the Schleswig-Holsteinmarker rebels who were laying siege to the town. Fredericia's landmark, Landsoldaten, was unveiled July 6 1858.[66364]

Present

The municipality today is part of the East Jutland metropolitan area with 1.2M inhabitants, and is the site of Fredericia municipality's municipal council.

The town is one of Denmarkmarker's largest traffic hubs, and location of Denmark's largest shipyward Fredericia Skibsværft A/S.

The town is a major barracks, home to the Royal Danish Army's army's Signals Regiment (Telegrafregimentet), which is located at Rye's Barracks (Ryes Kaserne) and Bülow's Barracks (Bülows Kaserne).

See also



References




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message