The Full Wiki

More info on Frick Fine Arts Building

Frick Fine Arts Building: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Henry Clay Frick Fine Arts Building is a landmark Renaissance villa and a contributing property to the Schenley Farmsmarker National Historic District[488910][488911] on the campus of the University of Pittsburghmarker in Pittsburghmarker, Pennsylvaniamarker, United Statesmarker.

It sits on the southern edge of Schenley Plazamarker, opposite The Carnegie Institute, and is the home of Pitt’s History of Art and Architecture Department, Studio Arts Department, and the Frick Fine Arts Library. Before its front steps is Mary Schenley Memorial Fountainmarker. The Schenley Park Casinomarker, Pittsburgh’s first multi-purpose arena with an indoor ice skating rink, sat on the location of the building before burning down in December 1896.

A noted 1965 low relief portrait of Henry Clay Frick by Malvina Hoffman in limestone sits above the entrance to the building. Hoffman was 79 years old when she accepted the commission. She could not sculpt it herself because union rules prevented sculptors from working on a relief attached to a building. However, she climbed up on the scaffolding to oversee the completion of the work.[488912][488913]

History

The building is a gift of Helen Clay Frick (1888–1984), daughter of the Pittsburgh industrialist and art patron Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919). She established the Fine Arts Department at the University of Pittsburgh in 1926 and continued to fund it through the 1950s, when she first made a commitment to create a separate structure to house it.[488914] Land for the project was donated to the university by the City of Pittsburgh.

In early negotiations with the University of Pittsburgh, Miss Frick asked that successors to the New Yorkmarker architects Carrère and Hastings design the new facility after the Italian palazzo its firm had built in Manhattanmarker for her father some fifty years earlier. Eventually, however, both parties agreed to Burton Kenneth Johnstone Associates as the architects. Its design is modeled after Pope Julius III's (1487–1555) Villa Giuliamarker in Rome, Italymarker. The building is constructed of white limestone and marble with a terracotta tile roof around a central courtyard. An octagonal cupola, which caps the central rotunda, rises 45 feet above the ground.[488915] The building houses the University of Pittsburgh's Department of History of Art and Architecture, and is contains classrooms, an open cloister, an art gallery, a 200-seat auditorium, as well as a research library. Construction began in 1962 and the building was opened in May 1965.

By the late 1960s Miss Frick, unhappy that the university did not conform to her restrictions on management of both the department and the new building, severed her ties with the University of Pittsburgh. She responded by creating a new venture, The Frick Art Museummarker, on the property of her ancestral home, Clayton, a few miles east in Pittsburgh's Point Breezemarker neighborhood. That museum operates today as a part of the Frick Art & Historical Centermarker complex.

Nicholas Lochoff Cloister

300
The Nicholas Lochoff Cloister is a main feature of the Frick Fine Arts Building. Its large paintings of Italian masterpieces are scale reproductions that were commissioned in 1911 from Nicholas Lochoff by the Moscow Museum of Fine Arts (now the Pushkin Museum of Fine Artsmarker). Lochoff worked slowly and carefully. Only a few paintings were completed and sent back to Russiamarker by the Russian Revolution of 1917. Lochoff, unable to return because of new communist regime, felt compelled to sell off the paintings. Buyers included Harvard Universitymarker and the Frick Art Reference Library in New York. Miss Frick acquired the entire collection, however, after Lochoff's death, with the help of art critic Bernard Berenson. In 2003, the paintings were cleaned and restored by Christine Daulton.

Frick Fine Arts Library

Located in Frick Fine Arts Building, this two-story library houses a circulating research collection serving the Department of the History of Art and Architecture. The Collection contains over 90,000 volumes and subscribes to more than 350 journals in relevant fields and is ranked among the top 10 fine art libraries in the country.[488916][488917] The library's reading room is constructed of fruit wood paneling and cabinetwork with gold leaf trim designed by Italian craftsmen. The library is further appointed by wrought iron balcony railings, terracotta tile flooring, maple tables with matching Windsor chairs, and ceiling-high windows furnishing views of Schenley Parkmarker. An inscription on the wall facing the entrance indicates the libraries dedication to Henry Clay Frick.[488918]

University Arts Gallery

The permanent collection contains a collection of prints and graphic works dating from the 16th through 20th centuries and regularly hosts changing exhibitions sponsored by the Department of the History of Art and Architecture and the Friends organization. Some of the more prominent pieces in the permanent collection include a large collection of Jacques Callot and Gertrude Quastler prints; 16th-18th century drawings from the Clapp and Denny families; a collection of 19th and 20th century photography; the Gimbel collection of American art; and various Japanese prints, Asian ceramics, portraitures, and Pittsburgh related paintings by Hetzel, Gorson, and Kane.[488919]

References

250
  1. http://www.haa.pitt.edu/resources/documents/SchenleyPark.pdf


External links



Gallery

Entrance to the University Arts Gallery
Henry Clay Frick
File:FrickFineArtsBuildinginWinter.jpgFile:Frick Fine Arts Building - Pitt - IMG 0766.jpgFile:FrickFineArtsBuildingfromCloister.jpgFile:CathedralofLearningFrickFineArts.jpgFile:FrickFineArtsCloisterDetail.jpg|Nicholas Lochoff GalleryImage:LochoffFrickFineArts2.jpg|Nicholas Lochoff GalleryImage:Frick Fine Arts Building - back.JPG|The back of the Frick Fine Arts BuildingFile:Statue next to the Frick Fine Arts Building 02.JPG|The Spanish War memorial is a copy of The Hiker (1925) by Allen Newman and sits on the left side of Frick Fine Arts


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message