Airport is an airport located in
Funafuti, capital of
the island nation of Tuvalu.
Airlines and destinations
Funafuti Airport was built by United
States Navy Seebee
battalions in 1943 during World War II
The military airfield included an airstrip, control tower,
facilities and radio station located at Tepuka
, connected by cable to the airfield. The base
Headquarters buildings were located at the present day Teagai
Apelu's residence, and a bunker is still located there to this day.
Naval air forces were based at the field, consisting of SBD
Dauntless dive bombers.
airfield became the headquarters of the United States Army Air Forces
VII Bomber Command in November
1943, directing operations against Japanese forces on Tarawa and other
bases in the Gilbert Islands.
The USAAF stationed two B-24
heavy bomber groups, the 11th
on Funafuti and the first offensive operation
was launched on 20 November with a twenty-two B-24 raid from
Funafuti to Nauru
By the middle of 1944, as the fighting moved further north towards
Japan, the Americans began to withdraw and by the time the war
ended in 1945 nearly all of them, together with their equipment
departed. After the war, the military airfield was developed into a
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II.
Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN