Garwolin is a town on the
Wilga river in eastern Poland capital of
County, situated in southeast part of Garwolin plateux in
Voivodeship (since 1999, before: Siedlce Voivodeship), 62 km
southeast of Warsaw, 100 km
northwest of Lublin.
There are about 16,000 inhabitants in the town.
Traces of settlement on terrains of present days boundaries of
Garwolin are more than 2000 years old. It is believed that Garwolin
received its city charter in 1423, but the exact date is unknown;
it is almost certain that the document from 1423 was only
acknowledgement of before-stated city laws. In time of the Deluge
90%. During WWII
about 70% of the city
was destroyed. After war it was restored and enlarged. Neobaroque
church from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries is a noteworthy
monument of Garwolin.
- the Józef Piłsudski
- two vocational schools,
- Academy of Management in Łódź, branch in Garwolin.
Centre of industry and services; machine, means of transport,
nutritive (milk co-operative, meat) industries, clothing, leather,
construction materials, furniture and cosmetics manufactures.
distance of 5 km from town railway
route Warszawa-Lublin proceeds;
station Garwolin is placed in nearby village Wola
Sport & Culture
- "Wilga" Cinema,
- Centre of Sports and Culture,
- Wilga Garwolin Sports Club.