The Full Wiki

More info on General Post Office (Dublin)

General Post Office (Dublin): Map

Advertisements
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

General Post Office in 2006.


The General Post Office (GPO) ( ) in Dublinmarker is the headquarters of the Irish postal service, An Post, and Dublin's principal post office. Sited in the centre of O'Connell Streetmarker, the city's main thoroughfare, it is one of Ireland's most famous buildings, and was the last of the great Georgian public buildings erected in the capital.

Architecture

The GPO was at first located in a small building on the site of where the Commercial Buildings used to be (now the Central Bankmarker building) off Dame Streetmarker, and was afterwards removed to a larger house opposite the Bank of Ireland building on College Green. On 6 January 1818, the new post-office in Sackville Street (now O'Connell Streetmarker) was opened for business. The foundation-stone of the building, which is built after a design of Francis Johnston, was laid by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Charles Whitworth, 1st Earl Whitworth, on 12 August 1814. The structure was then completed in the short space of three years for the sum of £50,000. The front, which extends 67.1 metres (220 ft), has an Ionic portico (24.4 metres (80 ft) wide), of six fluted Ionic columns, 137.16 centimetres (54 inches) in diameter. The frieze of the entablature is highly enriched, and in the tympanum of the pediment were the royal arms until removed following restoration in the 1920s. On the acroteria of the pediment are three statues by John Smyth: Mercury on the right, with his Caduceus and purse; Fidelity on the left, with her finger on her lip and a key in her hand; and Hibernia in the centre, resting on her spear and holding a harp. The entablature, with the exception of the architrave, is continued along the rest of the front; the frieze, however, is not decorated over the portico. A handsome balustrade surmounts the cornice of the building, which is 15.2 metres (50 ft) from the ground. With the exception of the portico, which is of Portland stone, the whole is of mountain granite. The elevation has three stories, of which the lower or basement is rusticated, and in this respect it resembles the India Housemarker of Londonmarker, where a rusticated basement is introduced, although the portico occupies the entire height of the structure.

History

During the Easter Rising of 1916, the GPO served as the headquarters of the uprising's leaders. The assault by the British forces extensively damaged the building and it was not repaired until the Irish Free State government took up the task some years later. The original columns outside are still pocked with bullet-marks. An original copy of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic is on permanent display in the GPO philatelic office. The building has remained a symbol of Irishmarker nationalism and Irish national history. In commemoration of the failed Rising, a statue depicting the death of the mythical hero Cúchulainn is housed in the front of the building. This statue was featured on the Irish ten shilling coin of 1966 and on the "B Series" £20 currency note. Despite its fame as an iconic place of Irish freedom, ground rent continued to be paid to English and American landlords until the 1980s.

The broadcasting studios of 2RN, which later became Radio Éireann, were located at the GPO from 1928 until the 1960s. Draws for Prize Bonds are held weekly, on Fridays, in the building. As of 2008, the Irish government is considering a proposal to incorporate an Easter Rising museum, a philatelic museum, a museum of Dublin and converting the two current courtyards into a larger civic space that may be used for future inauguration of the President.

Nelson's Pillarmarker was formerly located in the centre of O'Connell Street adjacent to the GPO, however the Pillar was destroyed by the IRA in an explosion in 1966. The Spire of Dublinmarker now takes a dominant position on the site of the Pillar.

The GPO before independence.
Most of the building and the adjacent Hotel Metropole were destroyed in 1916


References

  1. Debate on GPO ground rent


External links



Images

Image:General Post Office (Dublin) - Project Gutenberg etext 12595.png|The General Post Office in an engraving from about 1827Image:Tostal1954.jpg|New Garda recruits march past the GPO, Tóstal 1954Image:GPO_Dublin.jpg|The GPO Dublin 2007.Image:Dsc00095.jpg|GPO at night in 2006Image:GPO Easter Rising Plaque.jpg|A plaque commemorating the Easter Rising at the GPO, with the Irish text in Gaelic script, and the English text in Latin scriptImage:GPO_Dublin.JPG|The GPO Dublin 2007.


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message