The Full Wiki

More info on Glanusk Park

Glanusk Park: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Glanusk Park is an estate near Crickhowellmarker, Powysmarker, within the historic boundaries of Brecknockshiremarker that was established in 1826 by a "retired" ironmaster, Sir Joseph Bailey. The park features in the hereditary title Baron Glanusk which was given to Sir Joseph's grandson, Sir Joseph Russell Bailey in 1899. At that time Baron Glanusk was the Lord Lieutenant of Brecknockshire.

History

Joseph Bailey and his brother, Crawshay Bailey, had made a fortune working for their uncle, Richard Crawshay, who owned the Cyfarthfa Ironworks near Merthyr Tydfilmarker. Joseph had bought estates in Brecknockshire, Radnorshire, Herefordshire, and Glamorganshire, including the estate of Glanusk Park in 1826.

The park and estate contains 20,000 acres (80 km²) of common land, 3,500 acres (14 km²) of farmland and a five mile (8 km) stretch of the River Uskmarker. The mansion that was built by the founder was demolished in 1952, due to fire damage which took place during the Army's requisition of the building.

However the family still live in the Dower house (Penmyarth) and numerous other buildings are acknowledged as of either grade II or grade III architectural importance. These include the Tower Bridge, the gamekeeper's cottage, numerous farm buildings dating from 1826 and a private chapel. There are also some Celtic standing stones.

There are 400 acres (1.6 km²) of private parkland and 800 acres (3 km²) of forest which also includes a collection of 120 different species of oak trees.

A murder

In 1876, Glanusk was the scene of a murder when the estate's gamekeeper, George King, was shot whilst he and his under-keeper, Philip Hooper, where trying to apprehend poachers. No one was ever convicted for this crime. He left a widow, Eliza, and eight children. There is a "King's Wood" which is said to be named after George. The man who was tried and acquitted for the murder was forced to emigrate to America where it is said he received confirmation of a deathbed confession from South Wales.

Today

Today the estate is used for angling and pheasant shooting and for events and festivals which have included caravans, white water canoeing and archery.

Elizabeth Shân Legge-Bourke, Lord Lieutenant of Powys and a lady-in-waiting to Princess Anne, is the (present) owner of the Glanusk estate. She is the daughter of Wilfred Bailey who was the third Baron Glanusk. Her daughter Tiggy Legge-Bourke, nanny to Prince William of Wales and his brother Prince Harry, grew up at Glanusk and still lives on the estate.

References

  1. Victorian Crickhowell - Glanusk Park
  2. Learn the Crawshay Bailey song - Teaching resource
  3. 1771-1918: deeds and papers rel to portion of Glanusk estate
  4. Glanusk Park Estate Home Page
  5. "Fatal Poaching Affray" Abergavenny Chronicle and Monmouthshire Gazette, 22nd January 1876
  6. The John Watkins story
  7. BBC guide to "The Lady of Glanusk"



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message