Gliwice Radio Tower is the transmission tower of
the Gliwice, Upper Silesia, Poland, radio
station, situated on Tarnogórska Road in Szobiszowice.
It is an 118-metre high (including the 8 metre long spire on its
top) construction of impregnated larch
framework. The tower was nicknamed "the Silesian Eiffel Tower" by
the local population, although the similarities are minor.
Gliwice Radio Tower has four platforms, which are 40.4 m, 55.3 m,
80.0 m and 109.70 m above ground. The platform on its top has a
size of 2.13 x 2.13 m. For access to its top, there is a ladder
with 365 steps.
Gliwice Radio Tower is perhaps the tallest wooden structure in the
world. It is designed to carry aerials for medium wave
broadcasting, but the transmitter is not in service any more.
Gliwice Radio Tower was built in 1935 in order to replace the
former smaller transmitter of Gliwice situated in Raudener Street.
It went in service on 23 December
31 August 1939, the
Germans staged a 'Polish' attack on Gleiwitz radio
station, which was later used as justification for the
Invasion of Poland.
The transmission facility was not demolished in World War II
. From 4 October
1945, until the inauguration of the new
transmitter in Ruda Śląska in 1955, the Gliwice transmitter was used for
medium wave broadcasting of the Polish Broadcasting
After 1955, the transmitter was used as a
jammer against medium wave transmitters broadcasting Western
Polish-language programmes, e.g. Radio
The medium wave transmitter is no longer workable, because the
final stage is missing.
Today, the Gliwice Radio Tower carries multiple transceiver
antennas for mobile phone
a low power FM transmitter.
Following the decision of the City Council taken on 2 December
2004, the radio tower is a museum on radio history and visual arts,
located in the former radio transmitter building.