Golden Hill is an affluent
and historic neighborhood on the near northwest side of Indianapolis; it is located about from downtown.
located south of 38th Street, and is immediately south of Woodstock
Country Club and north of 36th Street, and it is just west of
Martin Luther King, Jr. Street.
Although platted in 1872, the area was not developed until the
wealthy industrialist David Parry
purchased the area around 1900 to develop into his private estate,
which he called Golden Hill. Upon his death in 1915, Parry's family
subdivided the estate into an elegant subdivision for the wealthy
with curving streets and beautiful greenspaces. Prominent and
wealthy Indianapolis families built grand homes in the area from
1915-1940. Homes in the neighborhood have generally stayed within
these families or have been sold to family friends.
Golden Hill remains a very exclusive enclave for the wealthy.
However, the area immediately south of Golden Hill is comprised
mainly of rather modest working-class households.