The Full Wiki

More info on Great Neck North High School

Great Neck North High School: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



John L. Miller Great Neck North High School or simply "North High School" is a public high school, comprising grades 9 through 12, in Great Neck, New Yorkmarker, operated by the Great Neck School District. As of the 2005-06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 943 students and 81.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 11.6.

The school building was designed by the noted architectural firm of Guilbert and Betelle.

According to Newsweek magazine's 2006 list of "America's Best High Schools", Great Neck North High School is ranked 23rd.

History

Great Neck High School was established in 1895, in a wood frame building on Arrandale Avenue at Middle Neck Road that also housed elementary school students. The wood building was expanded in 1900 but then destroyed by fire and replaced by a brick building in 1921. By this time high school students had moved into their own building, just to the west of the original Arrandale building. The site of the east Arrandale building is now a park and an apartment building for senior citizens.

The first building named Great Neck High School opened in 1914. Its location was between the original Arrandale school and the original Great Neck Library (now Great Neck House). This school building, also built of brick, was demolished in 1976. The site of the west Arrandale building is now a parking lot for Great Neck House.

The main section of the present building on Polo Road opened in 1929. The school was still known as Great Neck High School, as engraved above the building's main entrance. As the student population grew, the school became know as Great Neck Junior-Senior High School and served grades 7–12. By 1936, there were 1228 pupils, only grades 8–12 of which could fit in the Polo Road building. Grade 7 was housed in the west Arrandale building. After World War II ended, the school district's student population grew quickly. The Polo Road building was expanded in 1947, in general accordance with its architect's original plan.

As the population explosion continued, the district built new buildings. In January 1952, Great Neck Junior High School was opened to serve grades 7–9, and the existing school was renamed Great Neck Senior High School, serving only grades 10–12. In 1958, a South campus including another high schoolmarker and junior high school was opened. As a result, the existing high school was renamed Great Neck North Senior High School. In 1970, the school was renamed to honor Dr. John L. Miller upon his retirement after 28 years as superintendent of the school district. The new name was John L. Miller–Great Neck North Senior High School, though the full name was rarely used except for official documents.

The student population shrank after the Baby Boom generation graduated in the 1970s, and grade 9 was moved back to the high school building. The current name of the school was then adopted: John L. Miller–Great Neck North High School.

Notable alumni



References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message