Green Park (officially
The Green Park) is one of the Royal Parks of
London. Covering , it lies between London's Hyde
Park and St. James's Park. Together with Kensington Gardens and the gardens of Buckingham Palace, these parks form an almost unbroken stretch of
open land reaching from Whitehall and Victoria station to Kensington and Notting
By contrast with its neighbours, Green Park has no lakes.
only the Canada
Memorial by Pierre Granche) and
the Constance Fund Fountain
The park consists
entirely of wooded meadows
. The park is bounded on
the south by Constitution Hill, on the east by the pedestrian Queen's Walk, and on the north by Piccadilly. It meets St. James's Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria
Memorial at its centre, opposite the entrance to Buckingham
Palace. To the south is the ceremonial avenue of
Mall, and the buildings of St James's Palace and Clarence House overlook the park to the east. Green Park
tube station is a major interchange located on Piccadilly, Victoria and Jubilee lines near the north end of Queen's
The park is said to have originally been a swampy burial ground for
from the nearby hospital at St James's.
It was first enclosed in the 16th century by Henry VIII
, when it formed part of the
estate of the Poulteney family. In 1668 an area of the Poulteney
estate known as Sandpit Field was surrendered to Charles II
, who made the bulk of the
land into a Royal Park. He laid out the park's main walks and
building an icehouse
supply him with ice for cooling drinks in summer. At the time, the
park was on the outskirts of London and remained an isolated area
well into the 18th century, when it was known as a haunt of
and thieves; Horace Walpole
was one of many to be robbed
there. It was a popular place for ballooning attempts and public
firework displays during the 18th and 19th centuries. Handel
's Music for the Royal
was composed specifically for a fireworks
celebration held in Green Park in 1749. The park was also known as
a duelling ground; one particularly notorious duel took place there
in 1730 between William Pulteney, 1st Earl of
Hervey, 1st Earl of Bristol
There are Government offices and corridors, linking the nearby
Royal palaces, beneath the east side of Green Park and continue to
run to the south. These are clearly visible on the edges of
Green Park and St. James
Park, with the glass roofs just below ground
level. The rooms are thought to be conversions of
some of the tunnels built as part of the Cabinet War
Rooms from the Second World
- 'The Bailiwick of St. James', Survey of London: volumes 29 and
30: St James Westminster, Part 1 (1960), pp. 21-28. URL:
accessed: 29 January, 2008.
- "Green Park". The Encyclopedia of London, eds. Ben
Weinreb, Christopher Hibbert. Macmillan, 1992.
- "Fireworks Music" The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music.
Michael Kennedy. Oxford
University Press, 2007.
- London: what to see, and how to see it, p. 61. H.G.