The Full Wiki

More info on Grimsargh

Grimsargh: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Grimsargh is a village and civil parish to the east of Prestonmarker in Lancashiremarker, Englandmarker. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 2,164. It is one of the parishes which is included with the electoral ward of Preston Rural Eastmarker.

The village lies between Preston and Longridgemarker, and south of Goosnarghmarker. Notable features include St. Michael's parish church (CE) and a large parkland area to the west of the village. Several large reservoirs can be found to the east and until recently these were used extensively by local anglers. The Savick Brookmarker flows just north of the village.

The village has one public house, The Plough, situated in the village centre. In recent years the pub has won several county-wide awards for its food and service. There is also a private members social club in the village.

Grimsarghmarker was once a stop on the now dismantled Preston to Longridge railway line. A junction and platform to the west of the station allowed passengers to board trains to the nearby Whittingham Hospital via the private Whittingham Hospital Railwaymarker.

The town formed a parish in 1875 within the area known as Brockholes, which became one part of the much larger Amoundernessmarker hundred, in which Preston was also included.

Oliver Cromwell's Roundhead army came through Grimsargh en route to what is now Walton-le-Dalemarker in Preston, on what became known as the Battle of Prestonmarker on 17 August 1648.

The name Grimsargh is said to derive from an Old Norse name Grímr with Norse erg. One reference lists it as coming from the Domesday Book's Grimesarge, "at the temple of Grimr" (a name for Odin).

Grimsargh now contains: Post Office, Browns Mitsubishi Car Garage, Plough Inn Public House, Bowls Club, Cricket Club and Pavilion, Grimsargh St. Michael's Church and Primary School, a Pre-School (located at the village hall) and a Redrow housing estate.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message