The Full Wiki

More info on Grolier Club

Grolier Club: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Grolier Club is a society of bibliophiles, founded in New York Citymarker in January, 1884, the oldest such club in North America. The club is named after Jean Grolier de Servières, Viscount d'Aguisy, Treasurer General of Francemarker, whose library was famous; his motto, "Io. Grolierii et amicorum" [of or belonging to Jean Grolier and his friends], suggested his generosity in sharing books. The founders of the club were William L. Andrews, Theodore L. DeVinne, A. W. Drake, Albert Gallup, Robert Hoe, Brayton Ives, Samuel W. Martin, E. S. Mead, and Arthur B. Turnure. The Club's stated objective is "the literary study of the arts pertaining to the production of books, including the occasional publication of books designed to illustrate, promote and encourage these arts; and the acquisition, furnishing and maintenance of a suitable club building for the safekeeping of its property, wherein meetings, lectures and exhibitions shall take place from time to time...." Perfection in the art of bookmaking is encouraged. E. D. French engraved the club's own bookplate as well as bookplates for many of its members.

The Grolier Club maintains a research library specializing in books, bibliography and bibliophily, printing (especially the history of printing and examples of fine printing), binding, illustration and bookselling. The Grolier Club has one of the more extensive collections of book auction and book seller catalogs in North America. The Library has the archives of a number of prominent bibliophiles such as Sir Thomas Phillipps, and of bibliophile and print collecting groups, such as the Hroswitha Club of women book collectors and the Society of Iconophiles.

The Grolier Club also has a program of public exhibitions which "treat books and prints as objects worthy of display, on a par with painting and sculpture." The exhibitions draw on various sources including holdings of the Club, its members, and of institutional libraries.

The Grolier Club has had three locations since being founded in 1884. The Club's first home was rented. In 1890 the Grolier Club moved into a Romanesque Revival building at 29 East 32nd Streetmarker (which still survives as a designated landmark). Its current location, 47 East 60th Street has been its home since 1917; the building was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue.

The Grolier Club is a member of the Fellowship of American Bibliophilic Societies.

List of presidents



References

  1. Jean Grolier Biography
  2. The Grolier Club, Constitution, Article I, section 2. 2005 edition.
  3. Grolier Club Library Overview http://grolierclub.org/CollectionsOverview.htm
  4. Lasting Impressions: The Grolier Club Library (New York: Grolier Club, 2004) pp. 8-12.
  5. About The Grolier Club
  6. Phillipps
  7. http://www.grolierclub.org/LibraryAMC.HroswithaClub.htm named after Hroswitha of Gandersheim
  8. http://grolierclub.org/LibraryAMC.Iconophiles.htm
  9. Exhibitions
  10. FABS - Member Clubs
  11. A list of club presidents, complete to 1982, appeared in Members of the Grolier Club, 1884-1984 (New York: Grolier Club, 1986), pp. 149-150.


External links






Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message