Gunnamatta Bay, view from Cronulla
Gunnamatta Bay is a small
bay in southern Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Bay is located off the Port Hacking estuary, in the Sutherland Shire. The foreshore is a natural boundary for the
suburbs of Cronulla to the east, Woolooware to the north and Burraneer to the west.
Gunnamatta Bay, view from Burraneer
Cronulla and National
Park Ferry Cruises operate a ferry service from the wharf on
Gunnamatta Bay, which provides a link between Cronulla and Bundeena across Port Hacking, on the edge of the Royal National
Gunnamatta Park and Darook Park are located on its eastern
foreshore. Tonkin Oval on the northern foreshore features a large
cricket oval and is also used for baseball. Cronulla Public School
is located nearby.
Gunnamatta park holds a valuable remnant of bushland canopy and a
more limited but equally valuable understorey remnant. An unnusual
but natural occurence of Rough-Barked Apple-Gums (Angophora
) grow in the park and are usually typical of the
nearby Wianamatta Shale soil as opposed the Hawkesbury Sandstone on
the site, this tree is virtually extinct in the Sutherland shire
due to a complete lack of comprehensive reserves on shale soils,
though this tree is still relativeley common on the Cumberland
Plain in western Sydney and elsewhere in Australia.Image:
Gunnamatta Pavilion.JPG |Gunnamatta Pavilion
Image: Gunnamatta Park.JPG | Gunnamatta ParkImage: Tonkin Oval
Cronulla.JPG |Tonkin Oval, Cronulla
and George Bass
explored and mapped the coastline
and Port Hacking estuary in 1796 and the southernmost point of
Cronulla is named Bass and Flinders Point, in their honour. Thomas
Holt (1811-88) owned most of the land that stretched from
Sutherland to Cronulla in the 1860s.
The area around the bay was subdivided in 1895 and land was offered
for sale at 10 pounds per acre. In 1899, the government named the
area Gunnamatta, which means sandy hills
. On the 26th
February 1908 it was officially changed to Cronulla and Gunnamatta
was used for the name of the bay, on the western side.
Cronulla is derived from kurranulla
, meaning ‘‘place of
the pink seashells’’ in the dialect of the area's Aboriginal
inhabitants, the Dharawal people
. The beaches were named by
Surveyor Robert Dixon
surveyed here in 1827-28 and by 1840, the main beach was still
known as Karranulla.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances
Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in
Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8