HMS Calliope was a
British C class light
cruiser of the Royal Navy under
construction at the outbreak of World War
Calliope and her sister ship Champion were based on HMS
They were effectively test ships for the
use of geared turbines which resulted in the one less funnel. They
also received slightly thicker armour
led into the first of the Cambrian
Calliope was built at HM Dockyard,
She was laid down in January 1914, launched
on 17 December 1914, and completed in June 1915.
badly damaged by a fuel oil fire while at
sea on 19 March 1916, but was repaired in time to be one of the
five ships in the 4th Light
Cruiser Squadron at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
She received a number of hits just
before night-time (notably by the Kaiser
battleships), and 10 of her crew were
killed as a result of the battle.
On 1 September 1917 Calliope
was involved in the sinking
of four German trawlers. She survived the war and was sold for
scrapping on 28 August 1931 to Ward, of Inverkeithing.