The Full Wiki

More info on Hackney (parish)

Hackney (parish): Map

  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Hackney was a parish in the ancient county of Middlesexmarker. The parish church of St John-at-Hackneymarker, was built in 1789, replacing the nearby former 16th century parish church dedicated to St Augustine (pulled down in 1798). The original towermarker of that church was retained to hold the bells until the new church could be strengthened; the bells were finally removed to the new St John's in 1854. See details of other, more modern, churches within the original parish boundaries below.

Ancient parish

The vestry of the parish, in common with all parishes in England, was entrusted with various administrative functions from the 17th century. The parish vestry administered the Poor Law until 1837, it became part of the Poor Law Union of Hackney. The ecclesiastical and civil roles of the parish increasingly diverged, and by the early nineteenth century they covered different areas.

Civil parish

A distinct civil parish dates from 1855, with the incorporation of The Vestry of the Parish of Hackney in the County of Middlesex by section 42 of the Metropolis Management Act, part of the Hackney District Board of Works within the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works. In 1894, the District Board was dissolved with the Hackney vestry taking on its duties.

In 1889 Hackney was included in the new County of London, and in 1900 the vestry was dissolved with the parish becoming the Metropolitan Borough of Hackneymarker. The civil parish was abolished when the borough became part of the London Borough of Hackneymarker in 1965.

The boundaries of the civil parish were identical to the ancient parish, and it covered . The populations recorded in National Censuses were:

Hackney St John's Vestry 1801-1899
Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901
Population 12,730 16,771 22,494 31,047 37,771 53,589 76,687 115,110 163,681 198,606 219,272


Ecclesiastical parish subdivided

St John's parish church, Hackney.
(September 2005)
The ancient parish, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was in the Diocese of Londonmarker. From 1825, as the population of Hackney increased, a number of new ecclesiastical parishes were carved out of the ancient parish. This did not affect the local government arrangements:

External links



Sources

  • Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, Vol.1, Frederic Youngs, London, 1979
  1. Statistical Abstract for London, 1901 (Vol. IV).



Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message