Hamilton is the capital of Bermuda.
The cathedral in Hamilton.
Hamilton is located on the north side of Hamilton Harbour
, and is Bermuda's
main port. Although there is a parish of the same
name, the city of Hamilton is in the parish of Pembroke.
The City is named after Sir Henry Hamilton
from 1778 to 1794. The parish of Hamilton pre-dates it.
City Hall in Hamilton
In spite of being the administrative capital of Bermuda, Hamilton
only has a permanent population of approximately 969, although some
estimates have it as high as 1,500. Hamilton is the only incorporated city in
Bermuda, but actually is smaller than the historic town of St.
A more representative measure of Bermuda
population tends to be by parish.
As the offshore domicile of many foreign companies, Bermuda has a
highly-developed international business economy; it is a financial
exporter of financial services, primarily insurance, reinsurance,
investment funds and special purpose vehicles (SPV). Finance and
international business now constitute the largest sector of
Bermuda's economy, and virtually all of this business takes place
within the borders of Hamilton.
Large numbers of leading international insurance companies are
based in Hamilton, making it a global reinsurance centres. Those
internationally owned and operated businesses that are physically
based in Bermuda - of which there are around four hundred - are
represented by the Association of Bermuda International Companies
(ABIC). In total, over 1,500 exempted or international companies
are currently registered with the Registrar of Companies in
The city is the registered headquarters of Accenture
(formerly Andersen Consulting) - the
global management consulting
company; and the spirits
. Of the same reason
Hamilton is well known to hold the headquarter of many
international shipping companies, like DryShips Inc.
, Frontline Ltd.
antipode is located 45 kilometres west of
Point Peron near Rockingham, Western Australia, an outer suburb of Perth.
The history of Hamilton began in 1790 when the Bermuda Government
set aside 145 acres (58.7 ha
) for its future
seat, and was officially incorporated in 1793 by an Act of
Parliament. The Colony's capital relocated to Hamilton from St.
George's in 1815. The City lay at the political and military heart
of Bermuda over the last two centuries. In addition to the
parliament within it, Government House sits to its north, the
former Admiralty House of the Royal Navy
to its west (both in Pembroke, and the British Army
garrison headquarters at Prospect Camp
to its East.
The Town of Hamilton became a City with the erection of the
Hamilton Cathedral (Church Of England) in 1897. A Catholic
cathedral was later constructed. Today, the city overlooking
Hamilton Harbour is primarily a business district, with few
structures other than office buildings and shops. The City of
Hamilton has long maintained a building limit, which states that no
buildings may obscure the Cathedral, but in recent months buildings
have been planned and areas have started construction on buildings
as high as 10 storeys in the city. Bermuda's local newspaper
The Royal Gazette
reports "If you
don't recognise the city, from 15 years ago, we don't blame you as
it has changed so much". The Trimingham's shops have now been
removed after well over 50 years of service in Bermuda.
The city of Hamilton has many parks for its size. Probably the most
notable park in the city is Victoria Park. This park occupies a
whole block and was named after the former Queen Victoria. Other
parks in the city are Par La Ville Park, Barr's Park, All Bouy's
Point Park, and the hidden Cedar Park.