Hampton Wick is a Thames-side area, formerly a village, in the London
Borough of Richmond upon Thames in London, England.
Once famous for its market gardens
well into the twentieth century, it is now commuter-belt territory,
housing developments having been built on these areas. Such development is
constrained, however, by Bushy Park and Hampton Court Park on the west and the River
Thames to the east.
north of the River Thames, the area forms part of Kingston upon
Thames and East Molesey post
towns, which are based on the south side of the
evidence of Roman occupation; and the
first bridge linking the village with Kingston upon
Thames over the river is dated from about 1219, replacing
the Roman ford at this point. railway
station has good connections to London Waterloo.
Cardinal Wolsey lived here in a still
existing house in Lower Teddington Road while waiting for Hampton Court
Palace to be built.
Sir Richard Steele
also lived at
Hampton Wick, in a house that he whimsically called "the Hovel":
and "from the Hovel at Hampton Wick, April 7, 1711," he
dedicated the fourth volume of the Tatler
. This was probably about the time he became
surveyor of the royal stables at Hampton Court Palace, governor of the king's comedians, a justice of the peace for Middlesex and
Hampton Wick also has a cricket club called Hampton Wick Royal Cricket
Hampton Wick was the setting for the 1970s Thames Television situation comedy George and Mildred
. Although the area is
near the former Thames studios at Teddington, location filming actually took place in Barnes.
Hampton Wick was also a spoof drama by
The Two Ronnies
first series they did together.