Heirisson Island is an
island in the Swan River in Western Australia at the eastern end of Perth Water ( ). The city of Perth and the Town of Victoria Park are linked by The Causeway which is actually two bridges which span the two
foreshores and the island.
It occupies an area of roughly
285,600 square metres.
southern section including remains of
Prior to development, there were actually two islands, surrounded
by mudflats. Over the years, dredging and reclamation has created a
single island, which is now a landscaped nature reserve, with a two
kilometre walking path. In recent years a colony of Western Grey Kangaroos
introduced onto the island.
The first European to visit the Heirisson Island area was the
explorer Willem de Vlamingh
in January 1697. He
was exploring the Swan River in long-boats but only got as far as
the Heirisson Island(s) because the mud flats impeded any further
Island was named after French midshipman
Boniface Heirisson, who was on the French ship Le
Naturaliste which was a scientific expedition led by Nicolas Baudin between 1801 and 1804.
expedition made several journeys up the river from Fremantle in long-boats and made the first maps of the Swan
The island was named in June 1801.
also investigated the area in 1827 just prior to
settlement of the Swan River
in 1829. (Appleyard & Manford, 1979)
Yagan statue, Heirisson Island.
In September 1984 the Government of Western
erected a statue of aboriginal
. In 1997 the statue's head was sawn off by
vandals apparently in some sort of comment about the then current
attempts to return Yagan's head from Britain.
- Appleyard, R. T. and Manford, Toby (1979). The Beginning:
European Discovery and Early Settlement of Swan River Western
Australia, University of Western Australia Press. ISBN
0-85564-146-0 (for all historical information)
Image:Heirisson Island, 1935.jpg|Heirisson Island in 1935 showing
the reclamation underway