The Full Wiki

More info on Henry Miller's Theatre

Henry Miller's Theatre: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Henry Miller's Theatre is a legitimate Broadway theatre located at 124 West 43rd Street, between Broadway and 6th Avenue, in Manhattanmarker's Theatre District.

Designed in the Neo-classical style by architects Paul R. Allen and Ingalls & Hoffman, it was built by and named for actor-producer Henry Miller. His financial backers were Elizabeth Milbank Anderson, owner of the lot at 124 West 43rd, and Klaw & Erlanger. The original theatre had 950 seats. It opened on April 1, 1918 with the play The Fountain of Youth. It was the first air-conditioned theater in Manhattan.

The theatre had its first hit show with Noel Coward's The Vortex in 1926. Following Miller's death that year, the theater was managed by his son, Gilbert, who bought the Klaw & Erlanger interest and paid 25% of the gross take of each play he produced to the Milbank Memorial Fund, Anderson's legatee. From the 1930s through the late 1960s, the theater enjoyed its golden years, with performances by Helen Hayes, Leslie Howard, Lillian Gish, Douglas Fairbanks, and Ruth Chatterton gracing its stage.

In 1968, it was sold to Seymour Durst. It showed feature films as the Park-Miller until it became a porn theater called Avon-at-the-Hudson. In 1978, it was converted into the discotheque Xenon. Twenty years later, it returned to legitimate use as the Kit Kat Club, borrowing its name from the club featured in the popular revival of Cabaret it was then housing. It was rechristened the Henry Miller when Urinetown opened in 2001.

The theater was closed in 2004, the interior demolished and subsequently rebuilt by the Durst Organization to make way for the 57-story Bank of America Towermarker. Its neo-Georgian facade, landmarked by the city, remains, and includes a 1,055-seat theater designed by New York firm of Cook+Fox Architects within the new structure. With bank facilities located above, architects were forced to design and build the new theater underground. This makes Henry Miller's Theatre one of only two subterranean houses on Broadway. In 2007, the Roundabout Theatre Company announced it would operate Henry Miller's Theatre as its third Broadway theater. The new theater opened in September 2009 with the Roundabout Theatre Company production of a revival of the musical Bye Bye Birdie.

Productions



Notes

  1. The New York Times June 30, 1921 p.7; The New Yorker June 5, 1943 p.30
  2. The New Yorker, June 5, 1943, p.30
  3. Simonson, Robert. "Henry Miller gets a new theatre" Playbill.com November 28, 2009
  4. Healy, Patrick. "White Way Gets a 'Green' Theater"The New York Times, May 3, 2009
  5. Simonson, Robert. "Henry Miller Gets A New Theatre pg. 2" Playbill.com, November 28, 2009
  6. Robertson, Campbell. "Roundabout to Fill a Brand-New 89-Year-Old Theater", The New York Times, May 10, 2007
  7. Jones, Kenneth. "Broadway's Newest Theatre, Henry Miller's, Will Open in September With Bye Bye Birdie", playbill.com, May 3, 2009

References

Henderson, Mary C.,The City and the Theatre (2004), Watson-Guptill, ISBN 0823006379, pp. 244-245

External links




Embed code: at The Full Wiki'>
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message