Highland Capital Partners
is a venture capital
firm that focuses on
investments in seed, early, and growth stage companies in the
communications, consumer, digital media, healthcare, and
information technology sectors. The firm's partners include: Peter
Bell, Sean Dalton, Bob Davis, Richard de Silva, Bob Higgins, John
Hsin, Paul Maeder, Fergal Mullen, Corey Mulloy, Dan Nova, Dr. Bijan
Salehizadeh, Chuan Thor, and Kuantai Yeh.
1988, the company is headquartered in Lexington,
Massachusetts, and has offices in Menlo Park,
California; Geneva, Switzerland; and Shanghai,
The Highland Consumer Fund was formed by Highland in 2006 to target
retail and consumer products and services investment opportunities.
The firm finished fundraising in 2007 with over $300 million of
investor commitments, exceeding its $250 million target.
Investments and investment funds
Highland typically the first institutional investor in the
companies they back.
From inception in 1988 through the middle of 2008, the firm has
raised eight venture capital
with aggregate investor commitments of approximately $2.6
- 1988 — Highland Capital Partners ($78 million)
- 1992 — Highland Capital Partners II ($86 million)
- 1996 — Highland Capital Partners III ($126 million)
- 1998 — Highland Capital Partners IV ($250 million)
- 2000 — Highland Capital Partners V ($505 million)
- 2001 — Highland Capital Partners VI ($808 million)
- 2006 — Highland Capital Partners VII ($800 million)
- 2007 — Highland Consumer Fund I ($303 million)
The company has invested some $2.5 billion in more than 200
companies since its founding. Among Highland's most notable current
and past investments are:
Source: Company website
Current and former employees
In February 2005, Thomas G.
, the founder and former
CEO of Staples
joined Highland. Other
notable members of the team include Bob Davis, the founder of
, and Wycliffe Grousbeck
, who reduced his role
in Highland to become managing partner and co-owner of the Boston Celtics
. Gaurav Tewari joined the
Internet and Digital Media investment team at Highland Capital
Partners in 2006, having previously worked at Microsoft, McKinsey,
Capital Partners is not affiliated with Highland Capital Management, the
multi billion dollar distressed investment firm and
hedge fund sponsor and mutual fund manager based in Dallas, Texas.
- Highland Consumer Fund closes on $300m.
- About Highland Capital Partners, Inc.
- Yahoo! Highland Capital Partners, Inc. Company
- All Portfolio Companies
- Founder and Former CEO of Staples Joins Highland Capital