Historical Presidential Palace ( ) is a Neo-baroque building in Kaunas, Lithuania that served as the Presidential Palace during the
interwar years. Today, the palace is a
branch of the M. K. Čiurlionis
National Art Museum.
The Historical Presidential Palace in
The original palace was constructed in 1846, when a local aristocrat
received authorization to build the
two-story edifice. The project featured a symmetrical
structure with seven rooms on the first floor, and nine rooms on
the second floor. Shortly afterwards the building was expanded and
was added. In
1866, a garden was also laid out in front of the building.
later, additional structures were built nearby, and the building
was acquired by the Russian government
as a residence for the local Governor.
In 1876, the building
was finally purchased by that government. During the latter part of
the 19th century the building underwent further expansion, and an
additional wing was constructed as well as a new gallery. During
World War I
, Kaiser Wilhelm
briefly stayed in the palace in 1915 while visiting the
in 1918, and at that time the building became
the property of the Lithuanian government. After Lithuania's
capital, Vilnius, was
occupied by Poland,
Kaunas became the temporary capital and the
building was designated as its Presidential Palace.
It was remodeled and became the Lithuanian president's
The garden was surrounded by a cast iron fence that has survived to
this day. The palace served as the presidential residence until
1940, when Lithuania again lost its independence.
Soviet rule, the
palace underwent further alterations and the size of the garden was
reduced, while some adjacent buildings were demolished.
the first floor, some interior walls were removed to make way for a
movie theater. Later it was converted to the Kaunas teacher's
headquarters, and hosted teacher's organizations.
the administration of the palace was transferred to the Vytautas the
Great War Museum.
After Lithuania regained its independence
from the Soviet Union in 1991, the palace was designated as a
historical landmark. Soon afterward, three statues of the interwar
were erected in the palace garden, Antanas Smetona
, Aleksandras Stulginskis
. In 1997, more
renovations were implemented, but due to financial problems, the
work took six years to complete. In 2003, the 85th anniversary of
, the renovated palace was officially re-opened.
The total cost of the works exceeded five million litas
Today, the palace is used by the city and the state. There was a suggestion
that the palace should became a branch of the Presidential
Institution in Vilnius, but this suggestion has been
rejected. Since 2005, the building has been a part of
the M. K. Čiurlionis
National Art Museum.
Currently, the palace features several exhibitions dedicated to
former presidents Aleksandras Stulginskis and Kazys Grinius, and to
the history of the palace. A recent exposition featured unique
historical items from the collection of ambassador Kazys Lozoraitis
- XXI amžius. Trys prezidentai Kaune
- ELTA. V.Adamkus nežada reziduoti Kauno Prezidentūroje
- Istorinė Presidentūra Kaune. Exhibitions
- Kauno diena. Lietuvos prezidentai - išsaugotose relikvijose