Holborn Circus is a famous
location in London, on the
boundary between Holborn and Smithfield.
Holborn Circus is a roundabout
side lies the Church of St Andrew, Holborn, an ancient Guild
Church, that survived the Great Fire of London.
However, the parochial authority decided,
nevertheless, to commission Sir
to rebuild it. Although the nave was destroyed
in the Blitz
, the reconstruction was
faithful to Wren's original.
In the middle of the circus there is a large equestrian statue of
by Charles Bacon (1874)
the City's official monument to him. It was presented by Charles
Oppenheim, of the Diamond Trading Company De
, whose headquarters building is on nearby Charterhouse
High Holborn links Holborn Circus to the West
End to the west. To the east, Holborn Viaduct leads into the financial district of the City of London.Charterhouse Street and London's jewellery trade district of Hatton Garden exit Holborn Circus to the north.
district of Clerkenwell is to the north-east.
New Fetter Lane
and Shoe Lane
exit to the south.