Horfield is a suburb of the city of Bristol, in
It lies on
Bristol's northern edge, its border with Filton marking part
of the boundary between Bristol and South Gloucestershire.
Bishopston lies directly to the south. Monks Park and Golden Hill are to
the west. Lockleaze and Ashley
Down are on the eastern fringe. The Gloucester
Road (A38) runs north/south
through the suburb.
Horfield is also the name of a ward
for Bristol City Council
. The ward includes
Monks Park and Southmead
Hospital, but does not include the southern part of
Horfield, including Horfield Common and Horfield Prison, which is in Bishopston ward.
The name 'Horfield' is Anglo-Saxon
origin, meaning 'Filthy open land' (Old English 'horu' and
Horfield was a parish in Gloucestershire, which included
Bishopston, Golden Hill, Lockleaze and part of Ashley Down.
Historically, the area had a reputation as a lawless place because
Horfield Wood was the haunt of thieves and vagrants. The area
remained rural until the early 19th century.
Horfield Prison was built in 1847 to replace the Bristol Gaol burnt
down in the 1831 Bristol Riots
was also a large Army
barracks in Horfield from
1845, which was for a time headquarters of the South
Gloucestershire Regiment. By the 1940s the buildings were too old
to be used and the depot was closed, and most of the buildings
apart from the Chapel
were demolished in
1966. There are several war graves
churches in Horfield. A Territorial Army
remains, but most of the site was converted to a General Post Office
(later British Telecom
works, which in turn was redeveloped as housing since 2000.
Horfield was mostly developed from the mid 19th century onwards. In
1859, Bishopston became a separate parish. In 1894 Horfield Urban
District was formed, but in 1904 it was absorbed into
In 1908 Horfield Common was acquired by the Bristol City Council,
and remains a public open space.
Much 1920s (originally local authority) housing in Upper Horfield
is currently in the process of being redeveloped due to structural
problems caused by concrete cancer
The new development is of higher density than the original
is home to the Memorial Stadium: a sports stadium built in 1921 for Bristol Rugby Club in memory of the rugby union players of the city who died in
World War I, and rededicated to also
commemorate the dead of World War
In 1996, the ground also became home to Bristol Rovers Football Club
who now own
Stadium is The Wellington, CAMRA Bristol
& District  joint winner of Pub of the Year for
The 2006 Pub of the Year is also in Horfield, The Inn
on the Green (on the Gloucester Road)
Horfield has a leisure centre that was updated to have a 25 metre
swimming pool in 2005.
Horfield is served by bus services on Gloucester Road (First Bristol
routes 73, 75, and 76 and
routes 71, 72, U1 and
U2), and Muller Road (Wessex Connect routes 586 and 587) and Wessex
Connect route U5.
1927 and 1964, the northeast part of the district was served by
sons of Horfield include Hollywood actor Cary Grant, who was born at 15 Hughenden Road, in
1904, and composer Ray
Steadman-Allen was born at 64 Muller Road, in
parish of Horfield includes Horfield ward to the north, part of the
North West parliamentary constituency, of which the incumbent
Member of Parliament is Doug Naysmith,
a Labour/Co-operative Party member.
On Bristol City Council,
Horfield ward sends two councillors. Currently, these are Cllr
Martin Kerry, a Conservative, and Cheryl Ann, of the Liberal
southern part of the parish is in Bishopston ward, in Bristol West parliamentary constituency.
Member of Parliament is Stephen Williams
Democrat. The current councillors are Cllr David Kitson and Cllr
Bev Knott, both Liberal Democrats.
There are a number of interesting church
the Holy Trinity with St Edmund - the parish church
was possibly founded as early as 603 but the earliest remnant is an
old pillar and the circular churchyard.
Holy Trinity Church, Horfield
The tower is late
15th century or early 16th century with the nave
added to by
in 1847. The
central tower was erected in 1893 by local firm Crisp & Oately
and the transepts
later in 1913 and 1929.
It is a grade II* listed
Church - erected in the
in 1860 by ST Welch
erected as a school and then given a tower
and side asiles in 1930 by Hartland
. A building with a roof (similar to Horfield Parish),
anglo catholic interior, and a high
tradition. The church closed 1979 and was a printers but
was demolished in 2006 - the local planning authority did not
request obligatory photos.
Horfield Barracks chapel - erected 1859 (not 1847 as in Buildings
of England). A fine lancet styled chapel
some good handling of dressings and very good bellcote
. Closed in the 1920s and has been
converted to offices. It is grade II listed.
1899 by La Trobe - very good essay in late Victorian Arts and Crafts Gothic
with a fine wooden
The former Salvation Army
chapel - in
Ashley Down Road.
Chapel - a twin towered
perpendicular chapel by Milverton
with an organ by Hele.
meeting house of 1906 - domestic red
Whitefield Tabernacle Muller Road - Contains the 18th century
removed from Penn Street Tabernacle
when that was demolished to make way for the city centre. It also
contains the superb 1815 wooden organ case.
- Horfield by Brenda Hardingham
- Vision of Britain website
- About Bristol website