The Full Wiki

More info on Hornsey (parish)

Hornsey (parish): Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Hornsey was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesexmarker. It was both a civil parish, used for administrative purposes, and an ecclesiastical parish of the Church of England.

Civil parish

Hornsey formed a medieval parish in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. It stretched from Stroud Greenmarker in the south to Highgatemarker in the west,Muswell Hillmarker and Bounds Greenmarker in the north and Harringaymarker in the east.The vestry of the civil parish was entrusted with various administrative functions from the 17th century. In 1837 it became a part of the Poor Law Union of Edmontonmarker.

In 1865, the southern part of the parish, consisting of the Brownswood Park area and two detached pieces surrounded by the parishes of Hackneymarker and Stoke Newington adopted the Local Government Act 1858, and formed the South Hornsey Local Boardmarker. The remainder of the parish formed the Hornsey Local Board in 1867.

The Local Government Act 1894 reconstituted the two local board districts as urban districts, and divided the parish into the two civil parishes of Hornseymarker and South Hornsey.

In 1899 the South Hornsey urban district and civil parish were absorbed by the Metropolitan Boroughs of Stoke Newingtonmarker and Islingtonmarker in the County of London. At the same time, Alexandra Parkmarker, a detached part of the parish of Clerkenwellmarker was added to Hornsey.

The urban district and civil parish of Hornseymarker remained in Middlesexmarker, being incorporated as a the Municipal Borough of Hornseymarker in 1903. The civil parish was abolished when the borough became part of the London Borough of Haringeymarker in 1965.


Ecclesiastical parish

The ancient parish, dedicated to St Mary, was in the Diocese of Londonmarker. From 1862, as the population of Hornsey increased, a number of new parishes were formed:
  • Hornsey, Christ Church, Crouch End in 1862
  • Hornsey, Holy Innocents in 1877
  • Hornsey, St Peter in 1898
  • Hornsey, St Luke in 1903
  • Hornsey St George in 1910


The parishes of Hornsey Rise and Hornsey Road were formed in 1865 and 1866 respectively. The two parishes were formed out of part of the area of the ancient parish of Islingtonmarker.

In addition, as the population of neighbouring areas increased, parts of Hornsey parish were included in new parishes:

References



External links



Sources

  • Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, Vol.1, Frederic Youngs, London, 1979



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message