The Full Wiki

Howell Works: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Howell Works (later the Howell Works Company) was a bog iron-based production facility for pig iron which was established in New Jerseymarker in the early 19th century by Americanmarker engineer and philanthropist James P. Allaire. It is notable as one of the earliest American examples of a company town.

Allaire purchased the Howell Works property to provide pig iron for his Allaire Iron Works in New Yorkmarker, which was at the time a leading manufacturer of marine steam engines. The Howell Works also manufactured its own lines of cast iron products. Allaire eventually transformed the Howell Works into an almost completely self-sufficient community, with its own housing and food supply for the workforce, its own post office, church, school and company store, even its own currency.

After bog iron was made redundant by the increasing availability of iron ore, Allaire closed the Howell Works and eventually retired there with his family. The property remained in private hands until being bequeathed to the state in 1941. Today, the Howell Works is a registered historic site known as Allaire Villagemarker.

Background

James Peter Allaire founded his first company, a brass foundry, at 462 Cherry Street, New York, in 1804. In 1807, Allaire received an order from steamboat pioneer Robert Fulton for brass fittings for the North River Steamboat, the world's first commercially successful steam-powered vessel. Allaire subsequently became interested in marine steam engine technology, and in 1815 he established a plant in New York for the production of such engines, the Allaire Iron Works.

Allaire soon ran into supply problems with his new ironworks. With little demand in the United States for the high quality pig iron necessary for building marine steam engines, the local pig iron industry was in its infancy and unable to supply him with either the quantity or quality he required. The best quality pig iron was imported from the United Kingdommarker, but high tariffs made it too expensive to purchase.

The solution to Allaire's problem was to become a manufacturer of pig iron himself. In 1821, a friend and business associate of Allaire's, Benjamin B. Howell, began leasing a bog-iron furnace in Monmouth County, New Jersey, which was known as Monmouth Furnace. After Howell informed Allaire of the property, Allaire decided to raise the capital to purchase it. On 27 April 1882, he purchased the furnace along with 5,000 acres of the surrounding land from its owner, William Newbold, for the sum of $19,000.

Allaire's initial capital raising fell through and Newbold promptly sued for the balance, but Allaire was able to refinance, and he took full possession of the property in 1823. He renamed the property Howell Works, in honor of Benjamin Howell. James Peter Allaire, Allaire Village website.

Operational period, 1822-1850

The 5,000 acre property purchased by Allaire contained a large swathe of swampland—from which the renewable resource of bog iron is harvested—along with forests from which charcoal fuel for the bog iron conversion process could be sourced. Allaire eventually found it necessary to purchase an additional 3,000 acres of woodland to increase the supply of wood for charcoal making.

Workforce

The basic workforce was divided into three different groups - ore raisers for mining the bog iron from the swampland, woodchoppers and woodsetters for charcoal production, and the furnace workers themselves, who included casters and molders. Because of the isolation of the area however, Allaire realized he would have to provide virtually all the facilities of a small town to cater to the needs of his employees. Consequently, additional employees were required - a blacksmith, carpenters, brickmakers for supplying bricks for the ever-growing number of buildings, farmers to grow food and raise cattle, millers, bakers, butchers and so on. In effect, Allaire found himself in the process of building an almost entirely self-contained community.

Financial restructure

In 1824, Allaire sold 50% of the Works to his brother-in-law John Haggerty, who in turn sold his share of the business in 1827 to Thomas P. Wallworth. Allaire and Wallworth incorporated the business in 1828 as the Howell Works Company, with a capital of $150,000. By 1833, Allaire was the sole owner once again.

Post office and company scrip

Howell Works Company $1 note
Company tokens
In 1831, the Howell Works secured a US Postal contract and opened its own Post Office. In the same year, the New Jersey Legislature passed an act prohibiting the use of "tickets" - in effect, banning the use of currencies other than the state's official currency. Allaire had been planning to issue his own scrip prior to the passing of the act, and in 1832, he initiated a test case.

The courts found that the Allaire scrip did not violate the Act because they were "due bills" (IOU's), and Allaire subsequently began issuing the scrip to his workers, which was redeemable at the company store, and also accepted as payment by businesses in the local area. The scrip was issued in a variety of denominations, from tokens worth a few pennies to notes with a value of between $1 and $10. Company Scrip and Tokens, Allaire Village website.

Transportation hub

As Allaire's business grew, Howell Works became a major transportation center, and in 1833 Allaire upgraded the original wooden carriage house, built in 1825, with a larger brick building. He established a stagecoach company that ran a freight-wagon line between Howell Works and his depot at Eatontown Dock (modern-day Oceanportmarker), and later built another depot at Red Bankmarker further north. To transport the pig iron from Red Bank to New York, Allaire purchased Cornelius Vanderbilt's steamer Bellona and established the first regular steam packet service between the two localities. Other steamboats used by Allaire to transport goods and supplies to and from the Howell Works included the Frank, David Brown, Osiris, Iolas and Orus.

Company store

Allaire expanded the Howell Works Company Store in 1835 by constructing a new four-storey brick building at a cost of $7,000 to house the steadily expanding range of goods sold there. The Store's goods included meat, fish and dairy products stored in the basement, hardware, flour, coffee, wine, liquor, groceries, ironware and other goods on the ground floor, and a wide range of furniture to suit buyers of different means on the second floor. The top floor held bulk items and was also used a storage area. The Store also contained the Howell Works Post Office, an apothecary, and even an early example of a soda fountain. Customers came from miles around to shop there, and the Store at this time may have been the largest in the entire state of New Jersey.

Philanthropy

Allaire was not only interested in the physical wellbeing of his employees. In 1832, he built a church on the Howell Works grounds. The Church was Episcopalian in keeping with Allaire's personal faith; however, he was tolerant of other faiths and did not require his employees to attend services.

A strong believer in education, Allaire did, however, require the children of his employees to attend school, which was provided free of charge. Lessons were held three days a week, from dawn to dusk, for children of both sexes between the ages of about five or six to eleven or twelve. Children old enough to train as apprentices could also continue their schooling on a part-time basis if they so desired. Lessons were held inside the chapel and provided by the resident minister—retained by Allaire at a salary of $500 per year—and an assistant.

Peak period



By 1836, Howell Works had expanded to its greatest extent. By this time, the Works was employing between 400 and 600 workers, including not only those who lived in the Works community but many people from the surrounding region. The Works itself had expanded to over sixty buildings, including a large three-storey charcoal depot storing charcoal, bog iron and flux; the company store and the church; a carriage house and stables; a bakery, gristmill and slaughterhouse; a blacksmith, carpentry shop and wheelright; an enamelling furnace; numerous row houses for Allaire's married employees; and finally Allaire's own mansion, which included a dormitory wing for the Works bachelors, managed by a housekeeper.

The blast furnace itself now included two smaller furnaces or cupolas in addition to the main furnace, all of which were housed in a large casting shed and adjoined by an office, bridgehouse and wheelhouse (the latter containing a large waterwheel to pump air into the furnace). The cupolas were added for the production of cast iron products, which Allaire was able to manufacture as a result of the surplus pig iron his Works was producing. Items manufactured by the Works included pots, pans, skillets, kettles and other holloware, along with sadirons, pipes, tools and machine castings. Some of these items were sold at the company store, but most were shipped north for sale in New York. Allaire even established file and screw factories, the latter of which manufactured the first screws made on mechanical lathes.

Decline and closure

At the very peak of Howell Works' production however, James Allaire's business empire was about to suffer a series of financial and other setbacks from which it would never fully recover. In October 1836, one of Allaire's steamships, the William Gibbons, ran aground and was destroyed. In May of the following year, the Panic of 1837 began, triggering a prolonged recession throughout the United States. At about the same time, the Howell Works furnace blew out. The shortage of capital resulting from the loss of William Gibbons, along with the difficulties in obtaining loans and the loss of demand caused by the Panic, prevented the Works from returning to full production for two years.

Allaire was also unable to obtain sufficient loans to take possession of his latest steamship, Home, for more than a year. When he finally did so, Home was to sail only a handful of voyages before she foundered and sank off North Carolinamarker in October 1837 with the loss of 100 lives. Since the ship had been uninsured, the accident cost Allaire $89,708, but perhaps more harmful was the damage to his reputation which resulted from the loss of life.

Howell Works itself was rendered redundant by the discovery in the early 1830s of abundant deposits of iron ore and anthracite coal in the state of Pennsylvaniamarker. Pennsylvanian pig iron was cheaper to produce, and as coal burns hotter than charcoal, it was also of better quality. The Howell Works furnace was extinguished for the last time in 1846. Some operations continued until about 1850, when the Works was formally declared bankrupt.

Later history

Entrance to the "deserted village" of Howell Works Company, c.
1905
In 1850, James Allaire was forced out of the management of the Allaire Iron Works in New York by his erstwhile business partners, and retired with his second wife Calicia and their only son Hal to the former Howell Works property. After Allaire's death in 1858, ownership of the property passed first to his wife and later to their son Hal.

Hal Allaire lived as something of a recluse, leaving the property largely unchanged but lacking the funds to fully maintain it. As the derelict buildings gradually fell into disrepair, locals dubbed the location "Deserted Village".

After Hal Allaire's death in 1901, the property was purchased by W. J. Harrison. Harrison sold it in 1907 to Arthur Brisbane, then the world's wealthiest journalist, for the sum of $68,000. Brisbane leased the Deserted Village to the Monmouth Council of Boy Scouts for twenty years. Following Brisbane's death in 1936, his widow bequeathed the property's 10,000 acres to the State in 1941, in accordance with her late husband's wishes. It thereby became known as Allaire State Park.

In 1957, a group of locals established an organization for the restoration and maintenance of the old Howell Works Company site, which they renamed Allaire Villagemarker. The non-profit organization, Allaire Village Inc., runs the site in conjunction with the State of New Jersey as a tourist and educational facility.

Footnotes

  1. Swann, p. 5.
  2. Swann, pp. 5-6.
  3. Swann, p. 6.
  4. Swann, pp. 6-7.
  5. Swann, p.6.
  6. Allaire Family Papers, 1808-1901, processed by Lois R. Densky and edited by Gregory J. Plunges, The Monmouth County Historical Association.
  7. Sources differ as to the reason why Allaire wanted to issue his own scrip. Sitkus attributes it to a shortage of the official currency, while Allaire Village Inc. indicates that it was merely to assist with company bookkeeping. See Sitkus, p. 17, and the Allaire Village website's Company Scrip and Tokens page.
  8. Swann, p.7.
  9. Sitkus, p. 18.
  10. Sitkus, p. 12.
  11. Howell Works Company and General Store, Allaire Village website.
  12. Historic Chapel at Allaire.
  13. Education and the Lancastrian system, Allaire Village website.
  14. Sitkus, pp. 12-14.
  15. The Blast Furnace, Allaire Village website.
  16. Swann, p. 9.
  17. Swan, pp. 9-10.
  18. Sitkus, p. 19.
  19. Sitkus, pp. 19-20.
  20. Sitkus, p. 33.
  21. Arthur Brisbane, Allaire Village website.


References

Books


  • Sitkus, Hance Morton (2002): Allaire, Arcadia Publishing, ISBN 9780738510835.
  • Swann, Leonard Alexander Jr. (1965): John Roach, Maritime Entrepreneur: the Years as Naval Contractor 1862–1886 — United States Naval Institute (reprinted 1980 by Ayer Publishing, ISBN 9780405130786).


Websites



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message