Huguenot is the name of a
neighborhood located on the South Shore of Staten Island, one of the five borough of New York City, USA.
Originally named Bloomingview, its present name is derived from the
, led by Daniel Perrin
, who settled in the area during
the late 17th century and early 18th centuries to escape religious
community gained a station along the Staten Island Railway soon after the
line was extended to Tottenville in 1860. This station was given the name
Huguenot Park, even though no park was actually
located nearby; by the 1970s the word "Park" had been dropped, but
later a branch of the New York Public Library was opened one block west of the station, replacing
what was once the smallest New York Public Library building just
east of the station (still standing), and named the Huguenot Park
Branch, perhaps in honor of the station's former name.
Long noted for the beauty of its woodlands, Huguenot had a
transformation that'd lead to a significant rise in the population
of the neighborhood. The first visible sign of this
transformation, however, came not in the form of new home
construction, but rather with the building of the new Tottenville High
School campus, which opened in 1972 in Huguenot (the
existing high school buildings in Tottenville were converted into a junior high school).
Under the jurisdiction of The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted
Masons of the State of New York, Huguenot Lodge, No. 381 was
instituted on May 19, 1855 with E. W. Hubbard as the first Master;
and incidently, the second, third and fourth, also. The first
meeting place was in the Odd Fellows Hall, on Amboy Road. In 1859,
the Lodge moved to the Chapel of St. Paul's Methodist Church, which
it occupied until 1883, when rooms were procured over Fisher's Drug
Store at Main Street and Arthuir Kill Road. The last place of
meeting, prior to the erection of a Temple, was in Knights Pythias
Hall. The corner-stone of the present Temple on Main Street,
Tottenville, was laid on June 12, 1909.E. W. Hubbard, the first
Master, served for four years. This was nothing compared to the
record created by his son, George C. Hubbard, who was raised in
King Solomon's Lodge, and affiliated with Huguenot Lodge in 1857.
He was Master of Huguenot Lodge in 1860, and again in 1867 through
1870, then again in 1888 through 1890 and finally 1893. He was
District Deputy Grand Master on three different occasions,
1867-1868; 1870-1871, and then, nineteen years later, in 1889-1890.
In 1894, he affiliated with Tompkins Lodge No. 471.
Public amenities have not kept up with the explosive pace of
population growth in Huguenot and the surrounding neighborhoods
that has taken place from the 1970s onward , as public
transportation and sewer lines have not been upgraded fast enough
to meet the increasing demand.
Road problems include potholes
, and there
are few organized activities for adolescents, a fact often blamed
for the considerable amount of vandalism
that occurs there. However, the region is one of the most
mainstream on Staten Island, and one of the borough's most well
Presently, the local Roman Catholic
parish, Our Lady Star of the Sea, is undergoing a major
reconstruction/expansion. It is one of the largest parishes on the
, and has
experienced overcrowding problems for many years due to the rapid
boom of new residents in the area. The new church is scheduled to
be completed in 2009.
years it has become increasingly customary to refer to the western
part of Huguenot as a separate neighborhood called Woodrow.
Hugenot is served by the Staten Island Railway as well as the X17
and X19 New York City
, and the X23,and X24 buses run by Atlantic Express