The Full Wiki

More info on Huston-Tillotson University

Huston-Tillotson University: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Huston-Tillotson University is a historically black university in Austinmarker, Texasmarker, United Statesmarker. The school is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Negro College Fund.

History

History at a glance
1881 Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute opens
1900 Samuel Huston College opens
1935 Tillotson is a women's college
1952 Huston-Tillotson College is established when the two colleges merge
2005 Becomes Huston-Tillotson University


Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute was chartered as a coeducational school in 1877 by the American Missionary Society of Congregational churches and its namesake, George Jeffrey Tillotson. It opened on January 17, 1881 and had 12 presidents: "William E. Brooks, first president (1881-85), was succeeded by John Hershaw (1886), Henry L. Lubbell (1886-1889), William M. Brown (1889-93), Winfield S. Goss (1894-95), Marshall R. Gaines (1896-1904), Arthur W. Partch (1905-06), Isaac M. Agard (1907-18), and Francis W. Fletcher (1919-23). J. T. Hodges, the first African American to be president (1924-29), was followed by Mary E. Branch (1930-44) and William H. Jones, who became president in 1944." Tillotson College was a women's college from 1926-1935.

Samuel Huston College developed out of an 1876 Methodist Episcopal conference. An 1883 agreement with the Freedmen's Aid Society led to the development of the college. The college was named after Samuel Huston of Marengo, Iowa and the college opened in 1900.

On October 24, 1952 Tillotson College and Samuel Huston College merged to form Huston-Tillotson College. It then became Huston-Tillotson University on February 28, 2005.

Campus

Anthony and Louise Viaer Alumni Hall

The Anthony and Louise Viaer Alumni Hallmarker (formerly known as the Old Administration Building) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Residence halls

Beard-Burrowes Residence Hall
Allen-Frazier Residence Hall
The university has two residence halls.
  • Beard-Burrowes Residence Hall is for male students
  • Allen-Frazier Residence Hall is for female students


Notable People

Alexander Howard African-American feminist studies theoretician

Elizabeth Conley Texas Philanthropist and GLBTQ advocate.

Gallery

Image:KingSeabrookChapel.JPG|King-Seabrook ChapelImage:JacksonMoodyHumanitiesBuilding.JPG|Jackson-Moody Humanities BuildingImage:DickeyLawlessScienceBuilding.JPG|Dickey-Lawless Science BuildingImage:AgardLovinggood.JPG|Agard-Lovinggood Administration Building and Lecture HallImage:DownsJonesLibrary.JPG|Downs-Jones LibraryImage:MaryEBranchGymnasiumAustinTX.JPG|Mary E. Branch GymnasiumImage:DavageDurdenStudentUnion.JPG|Davage-Durden Student Union BuildingImage:HustonTillotsonfromE11th.JPG|The university as seen from East 11th StreetImage:HustonTillotsonfromChiconStreet.JPG|The university as seen from Chicon StreetImage:InsideHustonTillotson.JPG|The bell tower and the interior of the university grounds

Further reading



Notes

  1. "History of Education in Texas" by John J. Lane, 1903.


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message