The Full Wiki

More info on Ibstock

Ibstock: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Ibstock is a small town and civil parish in North Westmarker Leicestershiremarker, Englandmarker, with a population of around 5,300. It is on the A447, and nearby places are Heathermarker, Ellistownmarker, Ravenstonemarker and Hugglescote & Donington le Heathmarker. The name Ibstock is a derivative of `Ibestoche` meaning the dairy farm of Ibba (Ibba is an Anglo-Saxon name also found in other place-names).

It is an ex-coal mining community, and was recorded in the Domesday Book as a hamlet: Domesday Book records six ploughlands here in 1086. The parish along with a grange belonging to the abbot of Garendonmarker, has a long early association with the Burtons of Burton-on-Dunsmore in Warwickshire. In the early seventeenth century the manor of Ibstock was owned by Sir William Stafford of Blatherwick in Northamptonshire. Ibstock Church is dedicated to St Denysmarker. It was built in the Decorated style in the 13th century and has a spire. The famous William Laud, later archbishop of Canterbury, supporter of the divine right of kings and author of the Laudian Reforms (later executed), had the living here from 1617-1626.

In 1642, at the start of the English Civil War, John Lufton then rector of Ibstock was accused in the House of Commons of interrupting the execution of the militia ordinance. His living was sequestrated by the County Committee in August, 1646. Ralph Josselin, the famous clerical diarist and incumbent of an Essex parish, briefly stayed in Ibstock during the Civil War. On 17 September, 1645 he marched from Leicester with the parliamentary army and quartered at Ibstock, noting that it had been "Laud's living, and now Dr Lovedyn a great Cavailier" and that although his diet was "very good" his lodgings were "indifferent". Josselin was alarmed to discover on his return the next day that a man had been slain just outside his lodgings near where he had stood closely a while before "not knowing of the pardue [sic] in the ditch". (Diary, p. 46)

The township was enclosed in 1774 and in 1792 a free school for fifty poor children of the parish was set up. The parliamentary census of 1801 gives a total population of 763, in 152 families, two thirds engaged in agriculture, the rest in trade and manufacturing. By 1811 the population had increased to 836.

Ibstock was once connected National Rail in between Shakerstone Station and Hugglescotemarker as part of the Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway but was closed when it eventually fell prey to the Beeching Axe. The Station Master's House still stands on Station Road.

Nowadays, Ibstock is a thriving community: as well as the hugely academically successful Ibstock Community Collegemarker for 11-14 year-old students, there is also the world-renowned Ibstock Brick Ltd.

Famous People of Ibstock



Local towns & cities



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message