The Full Wiki

More info on Italian general election, 1996

Italian general election, 1996: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



An early national general election was held in Italymarker on April 21, 1996 to elect members of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate of the Republic. Olive Tree leader Romano Prodi won the election, narrowly defeating Silvio Berlusconi, who led the Pole of Freedoms.

For the election, the Northern League of Umberto Bossi ran alone, after having left the Berlusconi I government in 1994, causing a crisis who drove President Oscar Luigi Scalfaro to appoint a technocratic cabinet led by Lamberto Dini, which in turn lost its Parliamentary support in 1995, forcing Scalfaro to dissolve the Italian Parliament. The Communist Refoundation Party, led by Fausto Bertinotti, instead made a pre-electoral alliance with the Olive Tree, presenting its own candidates, supported by Prodi's coalition, mainly in some safe leftist constituencies, in exchange for supporting Olive Tree candidates on the other ones, and ensuring external support for a Prodi government.

Electoral system

The intricate electoral system of Italy, nicknamed as Mattarellum (after Sergio Mattarella, who was the official proponent), provided a 75% of the seats on the Chamber of Deputies (the Lower House) as elected by first-past-the-post system, whereas the remaining 25% was assigned on a proportional way with a minimum threshold of 4%.If possible, the method associate on the Senate was even more complicated: 75% of seats by uninominal method, and 25% by a special proportional method that actually assigned the remaining seats to minority parties.

Results

Chamber of Deputies











Coalition Results
Uninominal Proportional Total
Votes % Seats Coalition Party Seats
Party Votes % Seats Total

  Olive Tree 15,758,981 45.4% 247

Democratic Party of the Left 7,894,118 21.1% 26

38 285

PPI-SVP-PRI-UD-Prodi 2,554,072 6.8% 4

Dini List (RI-SI-Patto) 1,627,380 4.3% 8

Federation of the Greens 938,665 2.5% -

  Pole of Freedoms 15,027,030 43.2% 169

Forza Italia 7,712,149 20.6% 37

77 246

National Alliance 5,870,491 15.7% 28

CCD-CDU 2,189,563 5.8% 12

  Northern League 4,038,239 10.8% 39

Northern League 3,776,354 10.1% 20

20 59

  Communist Refoundation Party
Presented itself as Progressives
1,000,501 2.7% 15

Communist Refoundation Party 3,213,748 8.6% 20

20 35

  South Tyrolean People's Party 156,708 1.0% 3

- - - -

- 3

  Vallée d'Aoste 37,431 0.1% 1

- - - -

- 1

  Southern Action League 82,373 0.2% 1

Southern Action League 72,062 0.2% -

- 1

  Pannella-Sgarbi List 69,406 0.2% -

Pannella-Sgarbi List 702,988 1.9% -

- -

  Tricolour Flame 624,558 1.7% -

Tricolour Flame 339,351 0.9% -

- -

  Sardinia Nation 42,245 0.1% -

Sardinia Nation 23,355 0.1% -

- -

  Others 502,463 1.3% -

- 570,102 1.3% -

- -



Senate of the Republic

Coalition Results
Uninominal Proportional Total
Votes % Seats Seats Seats

  Olive Tree 13,444,977 41.2% 134 23 157

  Pole of Freedoms 12,185,020 37.3% 67 49 116

  Lega Nord 3,394,733 10.4% 18 9 27

  Communist Refoundation Party
Presented itself as Progressives
940,655 2.9% 10 - 10

  South Tyrolean People's Party 178,425 0.5% 2 - 2

  Tricolour Flame 747,487 2.3% - 1 1

  Pannella-Sgarbi List 509,826 1.6% - 1 1

  Vallée d'Aoste 29,538 0.1% 1 - 1

  Others 1,193,923 3.7% - - -



Both chambers uninominal part by region

Region Seats by region
Chamber of Deputies Senate of the Republic
House of Freedoms Olive Tree Northern League PRC Other House of Freedoms Olive Tree Northern League PRC Other

Piedmont

11 23 1 1 -

5 10 1 1 -

Aosta Valleymarker

- - - - 1

- - - - 1

Lombardy

34 19 20 - -

11 15 8 1 -

Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol

1 4 - - 3

2 2 - - 2

Veneto

7 14 15 1 -

1 8 8 - -

Friuli-Venezia Giulia

5 2 3 - -

3 1 1 - -

Liguria

4 9 - 1 -

2 3 - 1 -

Emilia-Romagna

1 28 - 3 -

- 13 - 2 -

Tuscany

1 24 - 4 -

- 12 - 2 -

Umbria

- 6 - 1 -

- 4 - 1 -

Marche

1 9 - 2 -

- 6 - - -

Latium

16 27 - - -

8 13 - - -

Abruzzo

5 6 - - -

1 4 - - -

Molise

1 2 - - -

- 2 - - -

Campania

21 25 - 1 -

7 13 - 2 -

Apuliamarker

17 16 - - 1

9 7 - - -

Basilicata

1 4 - - -

- 5 - - -

Calabria

6 11 - - -

4 4 - - -

Sicily

31 10 - - -

13 7 - - -

Sardinia

6 7 - 1 -

1 5 - - -



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message