Jardin botanique de Metz (4.4 hectares), also
known as the Jardin botanique de la Ville de Metz,
is a botanical garden located at 27
ter, rue du Pont-à-Mousson, Montigny-lès-Metz, Moselle, Lorraine, France.
is open daily; admission is free.
The garden was originally known as Frescatelly Park, an estate of
Philippe d'Aubertin of Bionville, whose summer pavilion (built
1719) currently houses the directorate of the Department of Parks.
It was purchased by the city of Metz in 1866 and landscaped
primarily in the English style by city architect Demoget. Its
were originally built on the
city's esplanade in 1861, during the World Fair, and moved to the
Botanical Garden in 1880.
Today the garden contains a rose
varieties), fragrance garden, collection of grasses
, flower beds, and a mature arboretum
with Aesculus flava
, bald cypress
, Diospyros virginiana
, Fagus sylvatica asplenifolia
years old), and Sophora
, as well as a large stand of hardy bamboo
). Its greenhouses
(1,000 m2) contain about 4,500 plants
representing 80 botanical families
, and palm
The garden also contains three ponds, numerous winding paths, a
bronze statue of an eagle (1866) by Metz animalier Christopher Fratin
, and a toy train
railway that circles through the site.